Forget where I saw the images, but I think the transitway will fly over the 407 to get to the north side for the GO Station and VIVA connections then fly over back to the south side west of that stop.
Yeah, I saw those somewhere too. I think what's undecided is just how far it has to go on the north side, rather than the actual concept.

Forget where I saw the images, but I think the transitway will fly over the 407 to get to the north side for the GO Station and VIVA connections then fly over back to the south side west of that stop.

The transitway doesn't move back to the south side of the 407 corridor until east of Yonge Street.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The transitway doesn't move back to the south side of the 407 corridor until east of Yonge Street.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

According to this link, the Vivanext goes along Highway 7, to get a station at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Highway 407 Station will not connect with Vivanext. Maybe you mean further east.

vivaNext_Routemap_web_02_26_2014.jpg

he is discussing the 407 transitway, and MTO project that is supposed to be constructed in 15 years or so that is meant for GO buses, and is a similar style to the Mississauga Transitway.

According to this link, the Vivanext ...
As innsertnamehere points out, that's not the 407 Transitway. They are two completely different projects. One is the BRT for York Region, and that line runs mainly along Highway 7 that is being built now. The other is the BRT along Highway 407 ... that goes much longer distances without stops ... and will ultimately go from Durham to ... well I don't know how far west it goes - and will likely not be built for years.

At Jane, the 407 Transitway intersects the subway Highway 407 station, while Vivanext intersects it at Vaughan Centre. At Yonge both BRTs will interersect at the Richmond Hill subway and GO station. But there are also plans for a station between Keele and Dufferin, where both BRTs will intersect the Barrie GO line at the proposed Concord GO station.

As innsertnamehere points out, that's not the 407 Transitway. They are two completely different projects. One is the BRT for York Region, and that line runs mainly along Highway 7 that is being built now. The other is the BRT along Highway 407 ... that goes much longer distances without stops ... and will ultimately go from Durham to ... well I don't know how far west it goes - and will likely not be built for years.

At Jane, the 407 Transitway intersects the subway Highway 407 station, while Vivanext intersects it at Vaughan Centre. At Yonge both BRTs will interersect at the Richmond Hill subway and GO station. But there are also plans for a station between Keele and Dufferin, where both BRTs will intersect the Barrie GO line at the proposed Concord GO station.

The Mississauga Transitway is part of this BRT with the whole thing running from Durham to Hamilton. It's is why I call it the GO thing, as it will mainly service by GO in the first place.

Since this an MTO project, it will be decades before it is fully built if at all.

Unless there is a change of thinking within Hydro One and the Province overriding them, very little chance for this project being built in the hydro corridors as plan.

Then this project is no high on anyone list including Metrolinx at this time and not in the budget to be table next week.

It's been a few year since MTO held open house for the section between Keele and Markham Rd with no final approval for it as far as I know. There were a number of issues related to stations and crossing that I can recall, but can't tell you what they were.

The current 407 station at Hurontario is lucky to see a 100 riders in a day. The Spadina 407 will see the same number as there are today going to York with a slow increase as more use the station in the coming years, but not the big numbers the planners are hoping for.

This BRT needs stations at all Rail Lines crossing the BRT and major roads.

The Mississauga Transitway is part of this BRT with the whole thing running from Durham to Hamilton. Its is why I call it the GO thing, as it will mainly service by GO in the first place.

Since this an MTO project, it will be decades before it is fully built if at all.

Unless there is a change of thinking within Hydro One and the Province overriding them, very little chance for this project being built in the hydro corridors as plan.

Uh, I don't know the timeline for this (though they were saying 20230) but where is it going through a hydro corridor? My understanding has always been that the ROW was specifically retained along the 407 when it was designed and when it was sold.

Plus, I don't know what's going on in the ministries etc. but they already finished the EA for the first phase so SOMEONE there is pushing it along. It most definitely was approved, though I know Markham was still quibbling about the routing in their section. (Here's a York Region report on it.)

It's been a few year since MTO held open house for the section between Keele and Markham Rd with no final approval for it as far as I know.
Actually, I remember seeing that the EA was approved. But as you said, there's no sign it's anyone's priority to really move ahead with it.

At least for the segment that's we've been talking about, I believe most of the land was owned by either MTO or the former Ontario Realty Corp (so now Infrastructure Ontario?). I don't think the 407 lands are comparable to the Gatineau or Finch hydro corridors because it was set up by the Government back in the early 80s (?) to be a multipurpose utility corridor. Besides, when there's an approved EA in place (that evidently Hydro One didn't make a loud stink about or block), that opens the door for any remaining land to be expropriated.

Last edited:
The Mississauga Transitway is part of this BRT with the whole thing running from Durham to Hamilton. Its is why I call it the GO thing, as it will mainly service by GO in the first place.
I'm not sure the Mississauga chunk of transitway will be primarily GO. I'd bet there will be more MiWay buses per hour than GO.

Looking at the Big Move, it envisions a network of transitways. 407 Transitway from Highway 427 to Markham (project 54). 427 from Kipling to Pearson (32). A later extension of 427 from Pearson to Queen Street (53). And with that there is a link between all these transitways.

Agreed. It's more a window on something our grandchildren may use, than something coming soon. There's certainly little advantage to it while the 407 moves very well. There are so many bigger priorities!

Uh, I don't know the timeline for this (though they were saying 20230) but where is it going through a hydro corridor? My understanding has always been that the ROW was specifically retained along the 407 when it was designed and when it was sold.

Plus, I don't know what's going on in the ministries etc. but they already finished the EA for the first phase so SOMEONE there is pushing it along. It most definitely was approved, though I know Markham was still quibbling about the routing in their section. (Here's a York Region report on it.)

Actually, I remember seeing that the EA was approved. But as you said, there's no sign it's anyone's priority to really move ahead with it.

At least for the segment that's we've been talking about, I believe most of the land was owned by either MTO or the former Ontario Realty Corp (so now Infrastructure Ontario?). I don't think the 407 lands are comparable to the Gatineau or Finch hydro corridors because it was set up by the Government back in the early 80s (?) to be a multipurpose utility corridor. Besides, when there's an approved EA in place (that evidently Hydro One didn't make a loud stink about or block), that opens the door for any remaining land to be expropriated.

What these guys said. The ROW was set aside for this project already on the 407 lands. I don't believe they need to purchase much if any land apart from at stations. I also think it's rather likely this will come to light especially with the 407 Spadina Stop's raison d'être specifically being this project and has been used as a catalyst or reason for building that station where it is.

What these guys said. The ROW was set aside for this project already on the 407 lands. I don't believe they need to purchase much if any land apart from at stations. I also think it's rather likely this will come to light especially with the 407 Spadina Stop's raison d'être specifically being this project and has been used as a catalyst or reason for building that station where it is.

Back atcha :) They can't leave the 407 stop on Spadina sitting there for too long without this connection and, even without the Yonge subway, adding all-day GO on the RH line increases the necessity of a regional E/W line. Oh and the Markham Centre station is right beside the new York University campus the province is about to approve and York specifically cited the convergence of transit as a reason they picked the site.

And Platform 27 is right. The land isn't being pieced together after the fact, the whole corridor was set aside in the Parkway West Belt Plan (which is from 1978, not the early 80s but close enough for government work; no pun intended).

http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page5667.aspx

The four general goals of the plan were:

1. Separate and define the boundaries of urban areas, thus helping to provide the residents with a sense of community identification.

2. Link urban areas and areas outside the region by providing space for the movement of people, goods, energy, and information, without disrupting community integrity and function.

3. Provide a land reserve for future linear facilities (such as highways, electric power transmission corridors, and pipelines) and for unanticipated activities requiring sites of high accessibility and substantial land area.

4. Provide a system of open space and recreational facilities linked with each other, nearby communities and other recreational areas.

IIRC, there wasn't any land acquisition required, at least for the first segment they've done though, as I stated above, there was some quibbling about just where to put the stations (particularly at Leslie and in Markham Centre) but I don't recall any discussion of expropriation or trouble with hydro.

They can't leave the 407 stop on Spadina sitting there for too long without this connection.
If you think they can't just leave an east-west transit line unbuilt when there's a north-south subway station just sitting there, waiting for the connection, I've got a 60-year old underground streetcar platform at Queen station to sell you. :)

On a side note I was at Yorkdale Mall the other weekend and I noticed they have a sign campaign telling people they will no longer be allowing park and ride at the mall (people who park there and go downtown) and ticketing offenders. I understand that Yorkdale has a parking capacity problem but otherwise I find their stand odd. If I owned the property I would encourage the expansion of my property as a commuter hub. People are a good thing. I would want my property to be a destination. Yes, some may take advantage of the situation but if they need to buy something where do you think they are going to do it, downtown where they have to bring it all the way back on the subway to their car parked at Yorkdale, or at Yorkdale where they can grab some dinner after work and put it right into their car on the way home?

The anti-transit stance of the region's major malls and many commercial property owners has always baffled me.

On a side note I was at Yorkdale Mall the other weekend and I noticed they have a sign campaign telling people they will no longer be allowing park and ride at the mall (people who park there and go downtown) and ticketing offenders.
I'm surprised they ever allowed it. How long has the policy allowing it to be in place? Don't most malls have a 3-hour parking by-law or something, except for employees?

The anti-transit stance of the region's major malls and many commercial property owners has always baffled me.
If it's hit the point, that their lot is full, they might pick up a bit of business from some who park-and-ride. But at the same time, they have customers who DO want to spend $ who go elsewhere.

As I said, I'm surprised they had a policy allowing this in the first place.

Back