I believe this is the case with transferring from Viva to TYSSE at VMC, where people tap on at VMC and tap off at York U. This is because the extension will have voluntary tap offs to refund (or reduce) the TTC fare. There is no reason why they can't do this from Downsview Park to York U.

They better implement a way so people from that get on at Union and get off at VMC can't refund the fare, because that is just absur (however little people take that long ass subway ride, take GO pls).

If it's not going to happen, how do you explain to the people that are used to taking Viva Purple to York U will now have to pay double fare, which are a lot of people. In addition to switching from Purple to Orange at RHC may I add.

I'm not the one who has to explain that. I tried though:
https://seanmarshall.ca/2016/12/04/unanswered-questions-about-torontos-next-subway-extension/

It has been stated multiple times by various project officials and TTC/Metrolinx staff that YRT/Viva riders between VMC and York U will not pay a double fare and nor will GO riders between Downsview Park and York U. There is nothing to be explained here.

Uh, no. There has been no confirmation about how this will work yet. I even contacted Brampton Transit to ask about this, and got a detailed response saying that they don't know how it will work, nor have they confirmed service levels or routings for the 501/501A once the subway opens.

We should expect no double fares for YRT, GO and BT/Zum passengers to York University, but this isn't confirmed (a discounted, not free TTC subway fare is a possibility right now, or no fare integration period).

Really? What residents? There are hardly any houses around that location.

This tiny patch of housing here are what's holding things up.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 1.33.11 PM.png

And here's what they say:

Residents fear the transit hub slated to be built on top of the last green space accessible to their community — one of the oldest in Vaughan — will “choke” their community, already boxed in by the CN Rail and the 407, and ironically, make traffic around them even worse.

“It’s going to become a traffic nightmare,” said Mastrodicasa, president of the Concord West Ratepayers Association. “And one we will have to deal with every single day.”

“It’s being forced on us,” said Paulo Correa, chair of the Concord West Ratepayers Association Ad Hoc Committee.

“They have little regard for protecting the environment,” Correa said. “They might as well pave over the river.”

Others, such as the Ontario Sierra Club, have also expressed concerns with the location of the proposed hub, which they say could damage a wetland that provides habitat for a range of animals and plants. But transportation ministry officials say they have been “planning and protecting” this land for the past 20 years to use it as a transitway. The alternatives the residents are suggesting compromise the objectives of the project, “which include providing seamless passenger transfers between the transit way, GO rail line and York VIVA services.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/07/31/transit_hub_plan_worries_vaughan_residents.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 1.33.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 1.33.11 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 432
Last edited:
At pennies per square foot, at least they could have used copper pennies for the walls.

...or floors.

Looks really good, and like Dupont. I wouldn't mind some pennies or a mosaic of small round tiles glued to the walls in any future station.

This tiny patch of housing here are what's holding things up.

View attachment 96933

And here's what they say:

Residents fear the transit hub slated to be built on top of the last green space accessible to their community — one of the oldest in Vaughan — will “choke” their community, already boxed in by the CN Rail and the 407, and ironically, make traffic around them even worse.

“It’s going to become a traffic nightmare,” said Mastrodicasa, president of the Concord West Ratepayers Association. “And one we will have to deal with every single day.”

“It’s being forced on us,” said Paulo Correa, chair of the Concord West Ratepayers Association Ad Hoc Committee.

“They have little regard for protecting the environment,” Correa said. “They might as well pave over the river.”

Others, such as the Ontario Sierra Club, have also expressed concerns with the location of the proposed hub, which they say could damage a wetland that provides habitat for a range of animals and plants. But transportation ministry officials say they have been “planning and protecting” this land for the past 20 years to use it as a transitway. The alternatives the residents are suggesting compromise the objectives of the project, “which include providing seamless passenger transfers between the transit way, GO rail line and York VIVA services.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/07/31/transit_hub_plan_worries_vaughan_residents.html

That's the one. I want to be sensitive to their concerns, really I do, however a station there just makes TOO MUCH SENSE. It will be the intersection of a 407BRT, GO Barrie Line, and VIVA BRT, and all within 600 metres of each other. It just begs to be connected.

Sure you can argue that the same connections can/will be made elsewhere: 407BRT to VIVA at VMC/407 station, and Barrie GO to VIVA/407BRT via Spadina subway at Downsview station. However that doesn't mean we should exclude greater connectivity just because a connection exists elsewhere in the system.

That's the one. I want to be sensitive to their concerns, really I do, however a station there just makes TOO MUCH SENSE. It will be the intersection of a 407BRT, GO Barrie Line, and VIVA BRT, and all within 600 metres of each other. It just begs to be connected.

Sure you can argue that the same connections can/will be made elsewhere: 407BRT to VIVA at VMC/407 station, and Barrie GO to VIVA/407BRT via Spadina subway at Downsview station. However that doesn't mean we should exclude greater connectivity just because a connection exists elsewhere in the system.

There's commercial uses on the north side that can be bought/expropriated...

Prospects of eventually building a stadium near Downsview Park were mentioned a while ago, and upon consideration this is actually a really interesting/positive thing IMO. I'd say to a much greater degree than most world cities Toronto is very centralized in terms of most major attractions being near downtown/on the shoulders. I think the idea of having attractions and destinations more spread about would be a huge boon to new transit usage. A lot of the most interesting transit right now such as RER, the Crosstown, TYSSE, and Viva all are used to moving around outside of downtown, so increasing the number of destinations that might appeal to people who might not even commuter is a really interesting prospect.

The whole idea of a stadium at Downsview Park reminds me a lot of the Sydney Olympic stadium which I remember taking the train out to when I visited, very interesting!

They only way that I can see a stadium being built at Downsview is for a Toronto NFL franchise. However I can't see Toronto getting an NFL team in the near future. A few year back when it looked like the Buffalo Bills might relocate to Toronto, evidently 3 sites were explored. 2 in Toronto (waterfront + presumably Downsview) and 1 in Mississauga. If the NFL decided to relocate or expand to Toronto, I would see Downsview as the logical spot. It has GO + Subway and a large parking structure could be built at Highway 407 Station so drivers could park there and take the subway south to the game. Anyways, these are hypotheticals. At least Downsview is large enough to accommodate lots of riders.

Prospects of eventually building a stadium near Downsview Park were mentioned a while ago, and upon consideration this is actually a really interesting/positive thing IMO. I'd say to a much greater degree than most world cities Toronto is very centralized in terms of most major attractions being near downtown/on the shoulders. I think the idea of having attractions and destinations more spread about would be a huge boon to new transit usage. A lot of the most interesting transit right now such as RER, the Crosstown, TYSSE, and Viva all are used to moving around outside of downtown, so increasing the number of destinations that might appeal to people who might not even commuter is a really interesting prospect.

The whole idea of a stadium at Downsview Park reminds me a lot of the Sydney Olympic stadium which I remember taking the train out to when I visited, very interesting!
With a stadium at Downsview Park, a Sheppard West Extension would make sense, however unlikely it might be.

There's commercial uses on the north side that can be bought/expropriated...

Metrolinx does not like that idea because Metrolinx is looking for a direct connection to their future transitway.

The same highly organized extremist nimby group doesn't want any transitway station nearby, either.

Attachments

• IMG_9799.jpg
    IMG_9799.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 516
Is there a practical reason for those lights along the stairwell? I know that Downsview station has them too, but only on the platform stairs.

Last edited:
I love the spaciousness of the station but sigh that it will be a complete ghost town. It baffles me why this station needed two giant buildings as entrances, versus just having a Go Train platform with a simple and convenient connection to the subway station. That's all that's needed here. Density here will never be high enough to justify the costs of this extravaganza. Eventually we will have to pay to maintain this.

Back