The full expansion for Holt Renfrew will include the plan expansion, Old Navy, Home Outfitter, Dollarama, Moxie, The south Entrance and the retail area in the corridor toward the west entrance.

That will bring Holt up to close to 200,000 sq ft +/-.

Can't see Dollarama staying there if Outfitter become Holt.

The expansion will be from the left of the existing corridor, from Outfitter to the east and where the current ground level is. One thing in the report call for width of 10m if I am reading it right and if so, that a small extension width and less than I was expecting. I thought it to be as wide as Outfitter as one level right up to the west entrance.

Shot these in July
9232297581_ffe7607690_b.jpg

9235016004_1d5eb7e347_b.jpg

9234986578_fac4ae33a7_b.jpg

Was looking at some signs proposal for Sq One and saw a layout for part of Holt expansion.

The expansion is only going west as far as the driveway on the east side for the upper level only with the current drop off staying. Since it didn't show the bottom haft, I am assuming this. It looks like the expansion is going to go south of the current location as well east to the east entrance. The existing mall entrance will be move south and a little to the east.

Where Moxie was, it will become a corridor going east to the east entrance with stores to the south of it.

Only 107,000 sq ft? That's pretty small. The location at Sherway is about that size. It will be interesting to see how it looks when the renders come out
Since when is 107,000 sq ft small when the average Home Depot is 135,000? The Sherway location is a third of that size - maybe 35,000 sq' max.

The Square One location is said to be planned at 120,000 when complete. 200,000 would be the biggest anywhere, as Yorkville is 185,000.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but my inside Holt Renfrew source is saying they've decided against the Sq1 Holts and are going to expand the Sherway store accordingly.

This would go in tandem with the previous report from Retail Insider saying that Holts has decided to stay at Sherway.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but my inside Holt Renfrew source is saying they've decided against the Sq1 Holts and are going to expand the Sherway store accordingly.

This would go in tandem with the previous report from Retail Insider saying that Holts has decided to stay at Sherway.

The main issue I have with this rumour is that from a legal standpoint, its not that easy for Holt's to change their mind after committing to a lease at Square One. The fact that Square One is investing enormous sums of money into the mall via renovations and the construction of the new Holt's wing suggests it's a go....either that or there will be a major legal brouhaha in which Holt's will most certainly come out on the losing end. Also, I have a feeling that Sherway has moved past their initial upset about Holt's leaving and hitched their hopes to the possibility of landing a Saks store.

I guess we'll see. Now that the Sherway store is staying put, why have another a few miles down the road? Quite frankly, having Holts at Sq1 already badly weakens the brand so this move makes sense.

All we heard are announcement, but nothing concrete that an actual lease was signed. In fact, we don't even know the terms of the lease (maybe they had the option to walk out?) Sq1 could be building this addition for additional stores...

I guess we'll see. Now that the Sherway store is staying put, why have another a few miles down the road? Quite frankly, having Holts at Sq1 already badly weakens the brand so this move makes sense.

All we heard are announcement, but nothing concrete that an actual lease was signed. In fact, we don't even know the terms of the lease (maybe they had the option to walk out?) Sq1 could be building this addition for additional stores...
When do we ever hear about leases being signed when stores decide to open locations? All we hear is the announcement, and then eventually we hear a date when this will be happening. We've had all of that now. And Square One is not some crappy strip mall. It has really changed into a mall for everyone. From a budget shopper to average to high end. What a mall should be really. Malls are not exclusive to a certain type of person, and nor should they be.

Do you know anything about retail leasing? There is no way Holt's and Square One would have announced the new location until the lease was signed. I don't work in leasing or press, but I know at the company I work for, we would never announce a store opening until the lease was executed. It puts you in a bad position in terms of negotiation.

As soon as it's signed, that's when our PR puts out a statement and it's official, and only then.

Do you know anything about retail leasing? There is no way Holt's and Square One would have announced the new location until the lease was signed. I don't work in leasing or press, but I know at the company I work for, we would never announce a store opening until the lease was executed. It puts you in a bad position in terms of negotiation.

As soon as it's signed, that's when our PR puts out a statement and it's official, and only then.

No I don't, however, who's to say Holts won't put in an HR2 instead? If you're going to have two big stores near each other, that doesn't work for high end brands.

Luxury brands (especially luxury anchors) are few and far between. It already made little sense to put a full Holts in a mall anchored by Wal Mart and Target; but HR2 would fit into that mall.

That's the scenario I think is most likely. Holts fits well with Sherway's demographics and anchors.

When do we ever hear about leases being signed when stores decide to open locations? All we hear is the announcement, and then eventually we hear a date when this will be happening. We've had all of that now. And Square One is not some crappy strip mall. It has really changed into a mall for everyone. From a budget shopper to average to high end. What a mall should be really. Malls are not exclusive to a certain type of person, and nor should they be.

Stranger things have happened in the retail industry. See my post above.

Square One is primarily anchored by a Wal Mart and a Target. That screams cheap and budget and doesn't fit into Holts vision. High end brands live off exclusivity. Location is everything and if you read retail commentary on the SQ1 location, all analysts think it was a bad move.

Stranger things have happened in the retail industry. See my post above.

Square One is primarily anchored by a Wal Mart and a Target. That screams cheap and budget and doesn't fit into Holts vision. High end brands live off exclusivity. Location is everything and if you read retail commentary on the SQ1 location, all analysts think it was a bad move.
And you conveniently left out Hudson's Bay just to reiterate your point. Yes, you think Square One is some ghetto mall for poor people, we get it.

And you conveniently left out Hudson's Bay just to reiterate your point. Yes, you think Square One is some ghetto mall for poor people, we get it.

Hudson's Bay is a mid-market brand. Holts is luxury.

There is a clear difference between the two.

I don't think SQ1 is a ghetto mall, but it is not a mall that is brand-wise able to complement Holt Renfrew (that was the point I was trying to make). You didn't have to read far to see people commenting (and laughing) on this board that Holts is going to be co-anchoring a mall along with Wal Mart and Target. That made no sense for the getgo. Retail analysts commented immediately that this is going to dillute the Holts brand.

I have a feeling SQ1 will be HR2.

Was looking at some signs proposal for Sq One and saw a layout for part of Holt expansion.

The expansion is only going west as far as the driveway on the east side for the upper level only with the current drop off staying. Since it didn't show the bottom haft, I am assuming this. It looks like the expansion is going to go south of the current location as well east to the east entrance. The existing mall entrance will be move south and a little to the east.

Where Moxie was, it will become a corridor going east to the east entrance with stores to the south of it.

This is likely what you are referring to:

Back