Very interesting. I'm curious how up-to-date that site plan is?

It looks like the escalators in that section will be realigned, and Tommy will be slightly amputated to be the same depth as the Apple store. Love to see more!

Very interesting. I'm curious how up-to-date that site plan is?

It looks like the escalators in that section will be realigned, and Tommy will be slightly amputated to be the same depth as the Apple store. Love to see more!

Very up to date, as this goes to Council in Dec for approval regarding the signs. More detail plans should surface at the Committee of adjustment next week and getting approval for this expansion.

Hopefully they should have a render video, like the other ones they put up by the end of December. The south corner of the mall has been pretty quite during all these renovations and I'd be really excite to see where they plan on going the revitalization.

And you conveniently left out Hudson's Bay just to reiterate your point. Yes, you think Square One is some ghetto mall for poor people, we get it.

It's not quite a ghetto mall - but it's on it's way. Imagine Walmart and a poorly performing Target are the anchor tenants. Sears is leaving, the Bay is stagnant - Further still, go to the mall. It a vast sea of grey, repeatedly repaired asphalt with broken curbs and dirty grey walls. I see the new north entrance popping up but it's not at all an exciting change.

The real problem with Square One is "absentee Owners". Oxford is so involved with so many huge projects, Square One is suffering from neglect. The area is vibrant with a very busy transit hub and thousands of condo units rising, but the mall is silent. This little lipstick job won't change anything. Not so long ago this was the second largest mall in Canada and had some pizzazz. Not so anymore, and black and white marble in the food court isn't going to change anything.

It's not quite a ghetto mall - but it's on it's way. Imagine Walmart and a poorly performing Target are the anchor tenants. Sears is leaving, the Bay is stagnant - Further still, go to the mall. It a vast sea of grey, repeatedly repaired asphalt with broken curbs and dirty grey walls. I see the new north entrance popping up but it's not at all an exciting change.

The real problem with Square One is "absentee Owners". Oxford is so involved with so many huge projects, Square One is suffering from neglect. The area is vibrant with a very busy transit hub and thousands of condo units rising, but the mall is silent. This little lipstick job won't change anything. Not so long ago this was the second largest mall in Canada and had some pizzazz. Not so anymore, and black and white marble in the food court isn't going to change anything.

This post solidifies my view that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It defies logic, common sense, verifiable facts or any kind of sense of reality.

You may as well be in the Holocaust/moon landing/global warming/9/11-denying camp that believes that Holt Renfrew and Square One have announced a lease that has not been executed and are just pretending to build and not actually building (you know, despite the request made to City Council to permit it).

There are reasons to be skeptical about things. But rest assured, Holt Renfrew aren't pretending to build a new store at Square One to gain concessions from Sherway. And even if they did try that, it clearly failed because this new store has been signed and announced and moving forward.

Last edited:
I have a feeling "some" people use Google Earth and UT to come up with the craziest ideas about an area. Not only can GE be out of date by a few years, but relying on the good work of people submitting photos and info to UT gives a sometimes limited idea of what is going on. Walking inside SQ1 you would instantly notice the facelift it is getting and not just in the food court. Concerning Holts, if you look on their corporate website, they still have the news releases and newsletter stating their plans. If this was to change this would be one of the first things they would remove.

This post solidifies my view that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It defies logic, common sense, verifiable facts or any kind of sense of reality.

You may as well be in the Holocaust/moon landing/global warming/9/11-denying camp that believes that Holt Renfrew and Square One have announced a lease that has not been executed and are just pretending to build and not actually building (you know, despite the request made to City Council to permit it).

There are reasons to be skeptical about things. But rest assured, Holt Renfrew aren't pretending to build a new store at Square One to gain concessions from Sherway. And even if they did try that, it clearly failed because this new store has been signed and announced and moving forward.

I never said or even implied anything about Holt's - don't know what post you thought you were responding to. I was simply pointing out the sad state of Square One currently. If you disagree, fine, but if you go to the mall you will see what I mean.

I agree that if Holt's anf Oxford announced a lease - it's a done deal - no one takes these things lightly, but you might want to go back and find out who you were thinking you were responding to.

I never said or even implied anything about Holt's - don't know what post you thought you were responding to. I was simply pointing out the sad state of Square One currently. If you disagree, fine, but if you go to the mall you will see what I mean.

I agree that if Holt's anf Oxford announced a lease - it's a done deal - no one takes these things lightly, but you might want to go back and find out who you were thinking you were responding to.

I've been to Square One many times. I've lived in Mississauga my whole life. Nothing you say about the mall is true, except for a slightly dingy exterior appearance in some parts.

I've been to Square One many times. I've lived in Mississauga my whole life. Nothing you say about the mall is true, except for a slightly dingy exterior appearance in some parts.

Suffice it to say our opinions differ but you have to agree, the mall has seen better days and needs attention. I hope the addition of Holts helps, but it will still need work.

Suffice it to say our opinions differ but you have to agree, the mall has seen better days and needs attention. I hope the addition of Holts helps, but it will still need work.

On the contrary, I think the mall looks better than ever. It's constantly been under expansion/renovation for the last few years, which shows that it's important to Oxford.

The exterior in parts looks like crap as I said, but look at Yorkdale, it doesn't look much better on the outside.

Are you sure you've been to Square One, because your opinions do not match reality, like, at all.

Hey Big Daddy, your assertion that Square One is a poor performing mall due to neglect and slow down-scaling is strange, even when I try my hardest to see how that can be. It's not an upscale mall like Yorkdale or Sherway but it's a mid-scale, mainstream mall for sure. Nothing screams 'ghetto' about the mall in the context of GTA malls. The exterior of most malls, including Yorkdale and Sherway, are OK at best and all malls have a 'sea of grey asphalt'. Are you sure there are no other reasons that you may find this mall unappealing....

Are you sure you aren't confusing your malls? The last time I was at Square One it was looking way better than I ever remember it looking. Everything looks pretty new.

Tuscani:

Yeah, I think the recent round of reno at Square One was certainly a bit better than the last few, which I felt had done nothing but cheapened the mall with the corrugated discount feel.

The one problem I am noticing is that with all the renos going on at the same timeframe, a good number of the malls in the GTA will have pretty much exactly the same feel as one another.

AoD

Are you sure you're not talking about Erin Mills Town Centre?

Square 1 will get a Saks or Nordstroms within the next 24 months to go along with the new very large Holts. It's had hundreds of millions spent on it over the past decade. Will they and should they do more? Yes. And they will.

Back