Square One's mistake was putting in wall to wall carpet. There was no way that was going to hold up to the foot traffic those parts of the mall get.

DSCN2620_zps763a747c.jpg

DSCN2619_zpsa0b75924.jpg

I found this on the city's agenda for December 2nd. Excuse the size of the image.
View attachment 20611

http://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/agendas/committees/pdc/12_02_2013_-_PDC_AGENDA.pdf - The report starts on page 39.

This is a great find! It's the first real plan we've seen showing what the north expansion and the south expansion look like, showing the actual layout. It also shows one of the hallways in the centre disappearing (beside White House/Black Market, as has been expected) and it shows one of the entrances (by AYCE and Lenscrafters) moved lower down (by TopShop). Very interesting indeed!

I feel there is still a lot more to come from these renovations.

I hope whatever takes over Sears does a proper rehaul of the place from the outside and the inside. Sears is closing down March so hopefully we hear soon what's taking over. I also can't help but feel the movie theatre will be taken out in due time.

I also couldn't help but wonder. What are the chances that a tunnel be built from the transit terminal to the lower level of the mall where Walters used to be? Would it be doable?

Last edited:
Oxford's Simons announcement also confirms Holt Renfrew for 2016 as well.

Simons is the newest retailer added to Square One's $380 million renovation and expansion project. Phase One, an $84 million overhaul of the interior, was completed in November 2013, and construction on Phase Two began in September 2013. Simons joins other flagship stores including a 120,000-square-foot Holt Renfrew that is also set to open at Square One in spring 2016.

Retail Insider says that Square One's Sears is about 145,000 sq ft. We now know that 113,000 sq ft of that will be Simons.

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/06/la-maison-simons-in-talks-to-open-two.html

Back in June 2013, in the above article Retail Insider suggested that Wal-Mart may leave Square One. That would really change its status - having Holt's, Hudson's Bay, Simons and a Wal-Mart replacement - could that be Nordstrom? (doubt it would be Saks 5th Ave.)
There's also a rumour on the Vancouver SSP forum that Hudson's Bay may bring Lord & Taylor to Vancouver's Oakridge - so is that a possibility?

Last edited:
Oxford's Simons announcement also confirms Holt Renfrew for 2016 as well.

Retail Insider says that Square One's Sears is about 145,000 sq ft. We now know that 113,000 sq ft of that will be Simons.

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/06/la-maison-simons-in-talks-to-open-two.html

Back in June 2013, in the above article Retail Insider suggested that Wal-Mart may leave Square One. That would really change its status - having Holt's, Hudson's Bay, Simons and a Wal-Mart replacement - could that be Nordstrom? (doubt it would be Saks 5th Ave.)
There's also a rumour on the Vancouver SSP forum that Hudson's Bay may bring Lord & Taylor to Vancouver's Oakridge - so is that a possibility?

The walls do seem to be closing in on Wal-Mart as the mall moves more upscale. Already, Wal-Mart's name and logo have been taken off of some major bulkheads indicating that the shopping centre is at least trying to play down their presence. Can't think of any logical retailer that would take that place, doubt it would be either Nordstrom or Saks as they're already candidates for nearby Sherway. Maybe another mid-tier major department store will make an appearance in Canada. Some have mentioned JCPenny but given their financial situation right now expansion plans are remote at best.

This talk of Walmart leaving Square One needs to end. If it were in Walmart's interest to leave, then they might. But I don't think it is. Sears was dead. It's no surprise they're leaving. But Walmart is crazy busy. Why on earth would Walmart leave?

Yes, Square One is moving more upscale. I don't think that necessarily excludes Walmart. The market is clearly there.

This talk of Walmart leaving Square One needs to end. If it were in Walmart's interest to leave, then they might. But I don't think it is. Sears was dead. It's no surprise they're leaving. But Walmart is crazy busy. Why on earth would Walmart leave?

Yes, Square One is moving more upscale. I don't think that necessarily excludes Walmart. The market is clearly there.

Frankly, there's a market for just about anything in a mall like Square One, that doesn't justify having a store there. Wal-Mart could easily open a store in the nearby vicinity that would be better organized and have more parking than what's currently available. Plus, image is everything in the retail business and I suspect major concessions were made regarding Wallymart prior to Holt's and Simons agreeing to lease there. Fact is the space belongs to Square one (actually Oxford) and they can do as they see fit with it, be damned what the tenant thinks.

Frankly, there's a market for just about anything in a mall like Square One, that doesn't justify having a store there. Wal-Mart could easily open a store in the nearby vicinity that would be better organized and have more parking than what's currently available. Plus, image is everything in the retail business and I suspect major concessions were made regarding Wallymart prior to Holt's and Simons agreeing to lease there. Fact is the space belongs to Square one (actually Oxford) and they can do as they see fit with it, be damned what the tenant thinks.

Depends on (a) the lease Woolco had and (b) whatever changes Walmart made to the lease when they took over

IIRC they just renovated the store. They're not going anywhere for the next 5-10 years. Any speculation is strictly mid- to long-term.

Square One could even terminate their lease with Walmart if they wanted to.

It looks like a bigger expansion than I originally thought.

FD136CCD-956C-4AA4-BB20-1F4B7CA1CCB1.jpg

I wonder if Apple will be changing its location.

1F56FDD1-1F61-469A-8DCB-3E56A624FB72.jpg

Last edited:
Is the Square One Apple store undersized? If not I don't really a reason for them to relocate just around the corner

Back