News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd like to see the stop names in white on black, but that's a minor gripe. I'm very pleased that they used their signature font!

Those shelters are not actually done yet.

The posters taped to them are announcing (or announced as it's been over for a month) a design competition to install artwork along the length of the top of each shelter.

I notice that in a couple of these photos you can see the night bus stop is not using the new ROW, and is the other side of the traffic lights.

I thought TTC had made it clear that buses can use the new ROW.

I'd hate to be standing on the platform near the end of the day, and have to run to the stop to catch the first night bus - or even replacement bus service.

It says on the stop marker "Route 512 only, for 312 night bus board at curb" which from my experience, most people figure out just fine. The drivers are pretty accommodating though. If they see someone in the ROW they will either drive into it and pick them up or wait for them to walk over to the stop.

Replacement buses usually use the ROW, but sometimes will go on the road. It's very noticeable that driver experience is a factor. The veteran drivers can fly down the ROW while the new guys drive very slowly.

The Forest Hill bus uses a small part of the ROW eastbound from St. Clair West to Spadina and seems to make do just fine, which is not a surprise as that route always has a near retirement driver on it.

The Forest Hill bus uses a small part of the ROW eastbound from St. Clair West to Spadina and seems to make do just fine, which is not a surprise as that route always has a near retirement driver on it.

All the buses that head west from St. Clair West station use the ROW as far as Vaughan (where it currently ends). This includes the 512 bus, 126, 7B, and eastbound 90. The ROW between Spadina and Vaughan is designed with buses in mind, wider with no centre poles.

When buses were running between St. Clair West and Yonge, they didn't use the ROW which was really frustrating. Do we really know if it will be any different next time the 512 streetcar is replaced with buses?

All the buses that head west from St. Clair West station use the ROW as far as Vaughan (where it currently ends). This includes the 512 bus, 126, 7B, and eastbound 90. The ROW between Spadina and Vaughan is designed with buses in mind, wider with no centre poles.

I don't think this design is intentional just a coincidence. They consistently use side poles at stop waiting areas and from the Bathurst portal to the Vaughan stop it's almost continuously stop waiting areas on one side or the other.

When buses were running between St. Clair West and Yonge, they didn't use the ROW which was really frustrating. Do we really know if it will be any different next time the 512 streetcar is replaced with buses?

I've been through about a dozen occurrences where the streetcars were shut down due to accidents or malfunctions. Sometimes they use the ROW, sometimes they don't. I think the operators have the discretion to decide if they can handle driving in it or not.

Just curious...

Is there any merit in the claim that the streetcar has lead to a decline of St. Clair.

I have heard a lot about Chinatown going down the gutter, but it is still a very vibrant place.

I don't think this design is intentional just a coincidence. They consistently use side poles at stop waiting areas and from the Bathurst portal to the Vaughan stop it's almost continuously stop waiting areas on one side or the other.

I've been through about a dozen occurrences where the streetcars were shut down due to accidents or malfunctions. Sometimes they use the ROW, sometimes they don't. I think the operators have the discretion to decide if they can handle driving in it or not.

I'm positive that the design is completely intentional. There's even a transit priority signal on St. Clair at Spadina so the Forest Hill bus can turn left. They're not using side poles, the wires are strung from the light standards like on Spadina. We'll see if the design continues all the way to Christie.

Having operators decide where they want to drive is no way of doing things. People need to know where they are expected to wait, and last time streetcars were scheduled to be replaced by buses this was on the street, plain and simple.

Just curious...

Is there any merit in the claim that the streetcar has lead to a decline of St. Clair.

It's all a bunch of bull. When a business closes down, SOS claims it's "because of the ROW" but when a new one opens up in the vacated location it apparently has nothing to do with the streetcar.

Ridership has drop since the mess has been underway. Once the streetcars reach Lansdowne next summer, ridership should start to climb.

Paving was taking place Thursday afternoon and should be all done by
night fall.

The main paving was being completed when I saw it and only small
strips next to the curb and the ROW still had to be done in a few
place. No more bumpy ride in this area now except a spot or two.

Too bad the city didn't do all the road as they will have too do those
missing sections in the next few years as those cracks will only get
bigger and start to fall apart.

More paving was done than original plan and a plus.

Painting of crosswalk lines was taking place. Haft of Dufferin
intersection has to be redone as the lines are in the wrong location.

Everyone will be happy Friday and Sat when the Corso Italia Festival
take place. 512 will be on detour by Dufferin/Davenport/Lansdowne from
6:00 pm July 5 to 11.59pm July 6. No notice on TTC website for this
detour.

Saw a lot of 512 being short turn at Lansdowne and most likely had to
do with the paving.

4185 was back in the dead line for the 2nd time and 4146 was back on line.

From what I could see from the bus, Bathurst St is 100% pour. Only
asphalt has to take place. Concrete was being pour on the lower
section of Vaughan Rd to hold the rails in place. Could be 100% pour
for the base pour by Friday if not by Sat. This will leave the top
coat to be pour.

Once the base pour is done, TTC could move the cars to Hillcrest as
there is nothing stopping them from doing this at that stage. Looking
at old photo's, it was common for streetcars to run in service while
concrete/paver's/asphalt was taking place between the rails.

Noticed a number of temporary poles have seen the removal of street
lights and another sign things are nearing the end of the project.
Still a lot of work to be done yet.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TdhBmD8dcY

I think the operators have the discretion to decide if they can handle driving in it or not.

ttc protocol is operators MAY use the ROW -- but regular running (say, for extended bustitutions) MUST be in the curb lane

unfortunate, but true :eek:

Phase 3 Tender Issued (at last)

I've been watching for this on the City's website for a long time.

From the City’s Tenders page:
164-2008 Reconstruction of TTC Track Allowance and Watermain Replacement on St. Clair Avenue West from Vaughan Road to Westmount Avenue – Toronto and East York District.
Closes July 19, 2008

Also recently posted:
123-2008 Bathurst Street Subway At CP North Toronto Sub MI. 3.48, North of Dupont Street Bridge Rehabilitation And Road Reconstruction
Closes July 9, 2008
(the underpass on Bathurst just north of Dupont)

I'm not sure how this part of St. Clair fits into "East York District" but maybe that's how Technical Services sees it.
I find it amazing that the tenders close so close to the date when work is supposed to begin?

Chris: The City is divided into four districts
1) Toronto and East York
2) North York
3) Scarborough
4) Etobicoke

Hence why St Clair is part of "Toronto and East York", as it is part of the Old City of Toronto

Back