News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why they won't let the streetcars through the temporary pedestrian mall, like they do in Europe, I don't know. Must be afraid, very afraid.
Probably because TTC doesn't want the bad publicity when a St. Clair streetcar runs over a pedestrian.

Seems we've already had an accident with the new service, just got this:

There is no streetcar service on the 512 St Clair from Lansdowne to Gunns Loop due to an accident investigation. Shuttle buses are running.

Last updated Jul 2, 2010 11:27 AM

There has already been a festival on St. Clair between Winona and Vaughan where the street was turned into a pedestrian mall with streetcars running a couple weeks ago. If you don't go up there, you'll never know these things.

Last edited:
but how large was that festival in comparison to Corso Italia? The ROW during Corso Italia was probably so crowded with people or had too many people crossing it they just could not run streetcars

Last edited:
The Corso Italia festival draws a LOT of people who fill up the streets. There is simply no way they could run streetcars.

As a notice I spotted when taking the streetcar to keele from st clair west station, it said the ROW's completion will be in late July. I could be wrong, but as to when the TTC will be even letting LRT service go all the way to Gunns Loop, when it's finally finished, is unknown. I'll check back in Mid-July to find out any newer information, or somebody will probably beat me to it ;)

As a notice I spotted when taking the streetcar to keele from st clair west station, it said the ROW's completion will be in late July. I could be wrong, but as to when the TTC will be even letting LRT service go all the way to Gunns Loop, when it's finally finished, is unknown. I'll check back in Mid-July to find out any newer information, or somebody will probably beat me to it ;)
What do you mean? Streetcars have been running all the way to Gunns Loop since last week. See http://www3.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/512_St_Clair_10630.jsp and http://www3.ttc.ca/Service_Advisori...nue_West_Transit_Improvements_Project_End.jsp

But if the speed increase is negligible then best not to spend all that money on the ROW, use the money for a new streetcar route or something. And the St. Clair ROW could have had B/D equivalent spacing and still be local enough.

to be fair, there are a few extra stops that could be eliminated...vaughan and bathurst are practically touching, northcliffe seems really close to dufferin, and tweedsmuir is basically on the ramp leading down into st clair west station

No it can't.

Have you ever lived in the area?

Would you have accepted stops twice as frequent than on the B/D line? In the distance of a 3-stop ride on the subway (Bathurst-Dufferin), there are 9 streetcar stops.

On another note, I was lucky to have a ride on the line with a TTC employee. He explained how the signal priority works and, lo and behold, it does work. Without having to stop and pick up passengers, we went all the way from Lansdowne to Bathurst without having to stop for a red light (seriously). Though I suspect that was mostly luck at Dufferin and Oakwood.

I asked why I had to wait for red lights previous times when I rode the line. He stated that when streetcars bunch it messes up the system. From how I understand it, there are loop detectors after each platform which ensure that the following light is held green for the streetcar until that streetcar is detected by another loop detector on the other side of the intersection. When streetcars get bunched, the first streetcar is picked up by the loop detector at the end of the platform as it moves forward. Then the second one is picked up by the same loop detector which makes the system believe there is an error because it is left wondering why the streetcar is leaving the platform when the next signal it should be recieving is from the streetcar passing through the intersection.

Anyway, that's how I understood it.

Back