Technically this land is zoned park land (even though it was being used as a Green P parking lot). It's supposed to become an extension of David Crombie Park once the market moves back north.

Would be nice to have an urban square (fountain, etc.) rather than a park (since there is already so much parkland east already).

The temporary market to the south of SLM seems to work well.

Did the city consider building a two- to three-level permanent market on the south side of SLM rather than having a north market? A bridge could be more easily built between SLM and a new south market, addressing the serious pedestrian flow problem that exists between SLM and the north market. The pedestrian connection to the North market is awkward and the new design does not remedy it with a tunnel or bridge. I'm happy that the north market is being redone, but the mix of uses is awkward, almost forced. I don't know how well it will work. The foot traffic flow problem is not being addressed. Also, with the linear park (David Crombie) extends quite a ways east from Jarvis, so how necessary is it to turn this parcel to the south into a parkette?

All good questions. I'd like to see a future connection between the St. Lawrence Market and the North Market below Front Street, built to give access to Jarvis Station on the Relief Line… but I'm not holding my breath.

All good questions. I'd like to see a future connection between the St. Lawrence Market and the North Market below Front Street, built to give access to Jarvis Station on the Relief Line… but I'm not holding my breath.

This was discussed at the public meetings but apparently there is a major sewer on Front that they cannot go under. No doubt it is possible, just not affordable.

Has the park extension been designed yet?
Would be nice to have an urban square (fountain, etc.) rather than a park (since there is already so much parkland east already).
I envision this too. With commercial uses on the north and south there could be a fantastic urban square here. Hopefully a redesign of Market and Wilton Streets bordering the new park is in the cards too. Both would would look great as woonerfs.

I also would like to see an urban, public square here, hopefully, something out of the ordinary, for Toronto.

Agreed a public square complete with benches and tables would be the perfect place to spend a bit of time after shopping at the market, perhaps eating as someone above suggested.

Agreed a public square complete with benches and tables would be the perfect place to spend a bit of time after shopping at the market, perhaps eating as someone above suggested.

Indubitably. Lounging, people watching and other sort of leisurely urban activities would also be acceptable in such a park.

Interior demo started shortly after it closed - they've torn out most of the interior partitions and what not. This past week I've noticed that they've been digging trenches inside. Interesting that the floor slab was put right on the ground - there's nothing but dirt underneath. I assume this is an initial stage of the archaeological dig, but all I know about archaeology practices I've learned from watching Time Team, so who knows.

Back