Lets compare, shall we?

Current Construction site, aerial pic from 2020:

View attachment 371709

When comparing this to the photos above of the building rising, we can see the footprint comes pretty close to the corner of Front and Jarvis where the sidewalk is actually on the narrow side, and then is further set back, angling northwards as it approaches Market Lane Park.

Now, how did the old market look in this regard?

From 2009:

View attachment 371711

In the older pic, the building to curb sidewalk ranges from 2.2M (barely the City minimum to ~9M on an angle before the corner cut-out

The new building.....you can't see correctly on the aerials............so let's look at the landscape plan:

View attachment 371712

For those reading along, all measurements are in MM unless otherwise indicated.

I read no extra space at the corner of Front and Jarvis, it looks like a bare minimum of 2.1M (not ideal, but I digress)

I don't see a material widening on Jarvis either.
If I'm reading this correctly there are 2.1 m from the curb to the roofline, which overhangs significantly.

If I'm reading this correctly there are 2.1 m from the curb to the roofline, which overhangs significantly.

2.1M is the City minimum standard wherever feasible for a pedestrian clearway/sidewalk.

It’s a massively improved public realm, but yes, a lot of it is covered. Still a lot more space on the corner overall for pedestrian circulation.

The arch installation continues and they have now completed 5 'bays; on both east and west sides with all their arches. They seem to have no more columns or large pieces on hand so I assume will get more in the New Year. Only 3 more bays - on east and west - to go. Sooner than later we should start seeing some walls appearing and should then get a better idea of how the final building will conform to the rendering. So good so far but ....
As much as I'd love to see this project finished, I can wait a while -- and while waiting, continue to admire the steel framing, which looks amazing. It's so elegant and spare.

Photos taken as nightfall arrived on December 28th, 2021:

First, one w/St. Lawrence Hall lit up in the foreground:

1640736545369.png

1640736567578.png

Now the rest from the East and then the South:

1640736595537.png

1640736618841.png

1640736634865.png

Look up:

1640736657284.png

Now, across the front, behind the hoarding, looking east:

1640736692964.png

That last one gives a good perspective on public space in front of the building, and how it narrows from west to east.

I had a good look at both sides.

I believe the corner of Front and Jarvis will be a be a bit tight for crowds (as it was before), but there is ample space further west.

Photos taken as nightfall arrived on December 28th, 2021:

First, one w/St. Lawrence Hall lit up in the foreground:

View attachment 371963

View attachment 371964

Now the rest from the East and then the South:

View attachment 371965

View attachment 371966

View attachment 371967

Look up:

View attachment 371968

Now, across the front, behind the hoarding, looking east:

View attachment 371969

That last one gives a good perspective on public space in front of the building, and how it narrows from west to east.

I had a good look at both sides.

I believe the corner of Front and Jarvis will be a be a bit tight for crowds (as it was before), but there is ample space further west.

The original competition proposal was a lot more generous at the corner by the virtue of it not being closed off (even though it had a support column) - from the UdeM CCC Archive:

ON20090163P001E1PDSB010110315H18.jpg

ON20090163P001E1PDSB010110315H46.jpg

AoD

After this is done, will they be developing the St. Lawrence Market South building on The Esplanade and Lower Jarvis? Would love to see a permanent structure similar to this built in its place.

Last edited:

Back