I wonder why the city doesn't have more large scale farmer's markets like St. Lawrence around the city. I think it would be a good idea to have one in each of the major regional centres - NYCC, Y-E, SCC, ECC...

Personally, I think that on Saturdays from April - November some of the Esplanade and the side streets around the Market should be closed to traffic and have booths set up, similar to Borough Market in London.

SLM is one of the world's greatest markets and should confidently assert itself as such.

This project is safe. The money is committed for and the temporary structure will start before the end of the year.
Nathan Philips square is also safe because its underway and the money is committed for. The project that I am most worry about is the four pad stacked arena. I hope council realized that the waterfront should be about work, live, and play.

But they do ... most weekends in the summer ... i.e. most parts of the city have a St. Lawrence Market North equivalnt ... it's not even that large of a farmers market really.

Now if you're talking about the St. Lawrence market (south?) that's a completely different animal and I doubt that could be replicated anywhere else - there's a small / very low end version (but there are some good finds) at downsview.

I meant the south market - I'd like to see similar grand buildings dedicated to fresh food markets built in the other major urban nodes across the city.

Has anyone heard any updates on this project? I thought construction was to begin 2010 Fall? Was this put on hold due to Ford?

Question

Hahaha, Good one...Now blame it all on Rob Ford.:)

Sounds to me like he's asking a question?
Even if he's implying Ford might cut it, wasn't that part of his platform? So why blame someone for thinking something that fits perfectly with Ford's agenda...Ford shaped his own perception...the poster is just responding to that.

This one is going forward. I called councilor Pam Mcconnell office and construction is starting in the spring. The money is already committed for this project.

This one is going forward. I called councilor Pam Mcconnell office and construction is starting in the spring. The money is already committed for this project.

To add to this - from what I recall this was always the plan i.e. construction to start sometime in 2011 not 2010.
That's not to say it'd be impossible for this to be stopped at this point ... but the one thing I should add is that part of this is to be used as city offices as well.

Hey Barns89 - you seem to have a knack for calling our councilors :) - I actually tried several emails (regarding other things) and have had no luck as of yet.
Any idea what the status of the aquarium is ?

Sounds to me like he's asking a question?
Even if he's implying Ford might cut it, wasn't that part of his platform? So why blame someone for thinking something that fits perfectly with Ford's agenda...Ford shaped his own perception...the poster is just responding to that.

I couldn't have wrote a better reply myself ;)

Back