Indeed. If I recall correctly, I noted that the red plan felt like the Pompidou Centre, and you noted that the this was likely the work of the same architects. (Oh, this is quickly heading into craigslist missed connections territory).

The parental types were people I know through my line of work, but nonetheless, we were both interested in the development of our favourite market. I think we swung them around to the merits of the red plan (trying to get back on topic).

Remember, too, that Red made the clearest *lateral* contextual statement (i.e. creating a certain visual continuum w/Market Square to the W).

When I think of it, Blue really does seem the most "Western Canada" of the bunch--though perhaps more what I'd expect in Edmonton than in Vancouver; but, still...

Prediction: the circulation tube is compromised beyond recognition or eliminated entirely from the final design.

a very cluttered and messy looking thing imo ;\

I have to agree, Im not sure why everyone loves this one so much, perhaps I am missing something. Although I do like the view from the inside north to the st. lawrence hall. Otherwise I think it looks like too much going on and messy as well. However no point in being bitter about it now, Ill just except it as being better than nothing.

Prediction: the circulation tube is compromised beyond recognition or eliminated entirely from the final design.

It looks like it's already been removed. That was one of my favourite parts of the whole design.

i agree that the winning design is quite messy and clunky. Something tells me a big reason why it won was the visual link to St. Lawrence Hall seen in that interior rendering which was a brilliant little piece of marketing. People who love this will probably agree that the Prince Arthur is a stunning example of architecture and urban design just because of that vaulted archway with the sofa sculpture....something I strongly disagree with.

There may be issues with all of the designs, but I think Red may have won because there is no emulation of the South Market building like many of the others, the wood and glass pays tribute to the past and to the wants of today (people love tradition, but currently they love open concept/natural light glass buildings), it opens up the intersection as opposed to being a mammoth wall to the sidewalk, and you bet the view of the St. Lawrence Hall is a cherry on top.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. It's easy to find problems with a design (gonna happen no matter what), but I think we can consider this a relative success. It's certainly a vast improvement to what is sitting there now and I see more opportunities gained than lost by choosing this design.

i agree that the winning design is quite messy and clunky. Something tells me a big reason why it won was the visual link to St. Lawrence Hall seen in that interior rendering which was a brilliant little piece of marketing. People who love this will probably agree that the Prince Arthur is a stunning example of architecture and urban design just because of that vaulted archway with the sofa sculpture....something I strongly disagree with.

What could possibly lead you to link this building with the Prince Arthur? If you want to speak for more people than just yourself, you'll need an argument to make your case, as an unsupported declaration just doesn't cut it.

DowntownTO27:

Something tells me a big reason why it won was the visual link to St. Lawrence Hall seen in that interior rendering which was a brilliant little piece of marketing.

Is it marketing? Or is the the design of the building which enables an interior view - which is subsequently marketed? And why shouldn't it be marketed? It is a key design feature by which the building is organized.

People who love this will probably agree that the Prince Arthur is a stunning example of architecture and urban design just because of that vaulted archway with the sofa sculpture....something I strongly disagree with.

Actually, people generally agree that the element of the archway at Prince Arthur is a stunning example of urban design. The architecture on the other hand is regarded as forgettable. One cannot say the same about this proposal given the architectural worth. Now you might not like the design but that doesn't mean it is a thoughtless piece of work.

AoD

The walkways bridging the east and west sides of the courtroom levels - which cut through the atrium like the walkways at Corus - are a nice touch.

...although, unfortunately, the elevated walkways won't be able to be executed like that - they'll need opaque floors which will interfere with the sightlines.

Unless, of course, the courts institute a "no skirts" policy...

Back