Wow, btw on Jarvis on the sidewalk just a few feet from the Loblaws store they have been core drilling through the sidewalk. Usually I think of a soils report, boring samples and the basis of a foundation design. What is going to be developed on the Loblaws site?

As for groceries in the area, Loblaws, SLM, Longos are definitely close enough to walk to.

The Loblaws there is pretty large, and SLM is definitely within walking distance (< 10 minutes) though walking through the tracks, highway and Lake Shore is not exactly pleasant. There's also a Farm Boy opening up right there.
Yeah I just noticed there's a No Frills 15 min away walk away.

Funny enough I actually had the question pop up in my head because the idea of a sugar factory being across the street would probably make me randomly hungry so I went looking for food in the area. Once both towers are fully built there's just gonna be a lot more food demand in the area, which is probably good for any small restaurants that can hold on until the second half of this year.

The No Frills is pretty far as a basic grocery store for these buildings. But given that there is almost no transit available here, most people living there are going to drive for groceries anyways, so distance doesn't matter that much.

Queen's Quay East right now is car-oriented density, like Square One, not transit-oriented density.

The No Frills is pretty far as a basic grocery store for these buildings. But given that there is almost no transit available here, most people living there are going to drive for groceries anyways, so distance doesn't matter that much.

Queen's Quay East right now is car-oriented density, like Square One, not transit-oriented density.
Well, now that you say most people living there are driving and no transit is available there, I am worried about my condo unit. I couldn't buy a parking space cause it is bloody expensive.

Well, now that you say most people living there are driving and no transit is available there, I am worried about my condo unit. I couldn't buy a parking space cause it is bloody expensive.
There IS transit on QQE. 75 Sherbourne, 19 Bay, 72 Pape to Union and, soon, 65 Parliament buses all run along QQE. One day there will be an LRT to Union but not yet.

Wow, btw on Jarvis on the sidewalk just a few feet from the Loblaws store they have been core drilling through the sidewalk. Usually I think of a soils report, boring samples and the basis of a foundation design. What is going to be developed on the Loblaws site?

As for groceries in the area, Loblaws, SLM, Longos are definitely close enough to walk to.

While a redevelopment package is coming for this site, I wouldn't worry about it being too near-term.

Loblaws just literally got a permit to change out most of the signage on the building for new 'Loblaws' signs.

The proposal, when it comes, will be substantial, it will include an extension of Harbour Street to Jarvis, a replacement supermarket is also part of the plans.

bike share is your friend for those who traverse the downtown on a regular basis and are not yet aware of the miracle service it provides.
it completely changed my life for the better and it all started as a way to get out of the house after the pandemic started

I hope there isn't an extension of Harbour Street to Jarvis personally - would prefer another pedestrian mews like the Daniels block has.
There will definitely be an extension of Harbour. It's been in City planning docs for at least a decade.

It's also super unfriendly to pedestrians. There's almost no place to safely cross the street, which is still a wide industrial street that enables high driving speeds. Yonge, Jarvis, and Sherbourne are the only signalised crossings (also technically the lakeshore-QQ-parliament intersection but that's completely out of the way for almost any uses right now) I was walking along there the other day, wanted to cross the street to check out the new LCBO and realised I'd have to go back to Jarvis to cross the street safely. Wasn't worth it. I get there's plans to rebuild the street eventually when they someday fund the streetcar, but you'd think the city could at least come up with some interim measures to make it less hostile to people trying to live/work/shop in the area who aren't only moving around by car.

There IS transit on QQE. 75 Sherbourne, 19 Bay, 72 Pape to Union and, soon, 65 Parliament buses all run along QQE. One day there will be an LRT to Union but not yet.
Thanks for the info. I have never lived near Waterfront, so I am totally ignorant. I hope LRT to union will be soon there. Thanks again.

Back