I think big box power centres belong further east where roads are empty enough to accommodate them. Maybe near the T&T supermarket on Cherry. If Target comes to the table with a concept like Sobey's Urban Fresh or the market by Longo's (small stores, quick serve options, less selection but quality product) then I'm all for it. Anything like the Bed Bath & Beyond at Aura would disrupt Southcore/Harbourfront for the worse.
I respectfully disagree. I think they belong in the core where people can easily access them on public transit, by foot or taxi. A target around T&T would be effectively useless for anyone except those who drive.

I think people in Toronto need to rethink how the core of the city should work, there is no reason that we can't have access to the same "big-box" services downtown. Just because it's a big box store doesn't automatically mean you have to drive to it. Every time I'm in Manhattan I'm always impressed with the clever ways they integrate large retail into the fabric of a city neighborhood where few people drive.

There is no Walmart or Target in Manhattan. They have been trying to break into that market for years and city council has actively thwarted their efforts.

I'm surprised they don't have either of those stores - there are K-Marts in Mnahattan - a rather large one inside Penn Station for example

I'm surprised they don't have either of those stores - there are K-Marts in Mnahattan - a rather large one inside Penn Station for example

UrbanToronto headline of the day: "Sky is falling: Significant retailer announces plan to open major downtown store creating a new retail destination."

If the headline was about Bloomingdales - would the UT peanut gallery response be any different?

I'm a little confused on this one. Is Menkes going ahead with the office tower now? Is it under construction?

Wow, so this starts in two weeks, and the office building at Ice is starting before Ice is completed....amazing.

How does this development relate to the Toronto Harbour Commission Building? Is it going to engulf it, or get built side by side? This old landmark that used to rise by the water's edge shouldn't be belittled by some new development. It would be good to see at least a small public space wrapped around it as a buffer from the new development that is of a completely different scale and architectural design.

How does this development relate to the Toronto Harbour Commission Building? Is it going to engulf it, or get built side by side? This old landmark that used to rise by the water's edge shouldn't be belittled by some new development. It would be good to see at least a small public space wrapped around it as a buffer from the new development that is of a completely different scale and architectural design.

The Harbour Commission Building isn't on this site, but the neighbouring site to the east. The plans for for it remain a mystery.

Wow! So they are building this office building on spec or is there a tenant? Are the condos already sold or are they just building the parking for them?

The Harbour Commission Building isn't on this site, but the neighbouring site to the east. The plans for for it remain a mystery.

You're right, but not exactly right.

ScreenShot2011-09-16at113025PM-1.jpg

Back