i.e. convince them to pay more rent for no justfiable reason. Good luck with that.

Yea Ok ... using that logic no one should locate downtown ... what a silly comment ...

Oh and just so you know, their American HQ is in downtown Minneapolis.

Last edited:
I can picture a Target in this development quite easily, especially since the podium was a large area with relatively few windows above ground level. So it makes sense that it would be a big-box store.

I wonder if it will contain any other large (or an assortment of small) retailers, or if the podium will mostly just contain a really big Target store.

Thank God for the East Bayfront being created nearby, it makes this news easier for me to swallow.

It will probably be the second floor only, as there will be 2 floors of retail. I only expect crappy chains on the main floor anyways. (See: shoppers)

The thing is, it's possible to create a good pedestrian experience in addition to having a Target/other big box and Shoppers-type stores as the program; but as much as I love the firm, I don't trust aA to create an interesting pedestrian experience here.

I live in the Southcore area... and I won't lie, this Target will be very convenient if I still live here at the time it opens. But simultaneously, I'm disappointed by this area's pedestrian experience. Walking around Queen Street West is such an intriguing, always-interesting experience and there are so many great shops, variations in buildings and types of architecture, alleyways with interesting graffiti. Of course, much of this wouldn't suit the Harbourfront area (graffiti, older buildings) today, but a variation in facades and materials, and mature trees and interesting landscaping are all things that would help a lot. Also, SHORTER facades. Not long expanses of glass (as slick and attractive as that can be!) and endless facades that are not broken up or articulated for those who walk past them numerous times per day.

The thing is, it's possible to create a good pedestrian experience in addition to having a Target/other big box and Shoppers-type stores as the program; but as much as I love the firm, I don't trust aA to create an interesting pedestrian experience here.

I live in the Southcore area... and I won't lie, this Target will be very convenient if I still live here at the time it opens. But simultaneously, I'm disappointed by this area's pedestrian experience. Walking around Queen Street West is such an intriguing, always-interesting experience and there are so many great shops, variations in buildings and types of architecture, alleyways with interesting graffiti. Of course, much of this wouldn't suit the Harbourfront area (graffiti, older buildings) today, but a variation in facades and materials, and mature trees and interesting landscaping are all things that would help a lot. Also, SHORTER facades. Not long expanses of glass (as slick and attractive as that can be!) and endless facades that are not broken up or articulated for those who walk past them numerous times per day.

I know what you mean, I don't think its possible to achive the Queen W vibe but I already find the more developed parts somewhat interesting ... take MLS, that's always a fun walk through, and the restaurants in the area (MLS / Telus podium) help animate the area. I think when more gets built out it will improve.

We always trash Infinity but there is a lot of retail at the bottom of that building !

You think MLS is fun to walk through? I think it's awfully sterile and spaced-out and empty feeling. Infinity, however does have lots of retail.

Yea Ok ... using that logic no one should locate downtown ... what a silly comment ...

Oh and just so you know, their American HQ is in downtown Minneapolis.

What I mean is Target's Canadian Head Office doesn't need to be downtown. First, they are just a puppet organization managed from the U.S. and second, they are a cluster of buyers travelling more than office sitting so they have a much greater need to be near the airport than downtown. So why pay the additional rent just to get caught in one of the worst traffic jams in the world?

You think MLS is fun to walk through? I think it's awfully sterile and spaced-out and empty feeling. Infinity, however does have lots of retail.

I'm talking about the outside ... yes it not Queen W but its charming in its own "corporate" way ... what I love about Toronto is the diversity you can find throughout the greater downtown core, I'm not talking about ethical diversity here, rather the different built forms that exists. So honestly I don't mind this area having a more corporate (polished / refined / large spaces) look and feel ... and it certainly does ! As long as we keep adding retail to the area, and that seems to be the plan ...

Even the inside of MLS, it exudes the same feeling the rest of the area does ! Random side note, the Longos down there is great !

Regarding Target, I don't mind that either, again I want downtown Toronto to have options for everyone, to suite everyone's needs ... now in the past one would argue adding a target or the like would cripple existing smaller stores, they'd probably have been correct, but with the huge boost in the residential population that's likely a lot less applicable today.

Gee, whats not good about having a Target at that retail deadzone:confused:
+1 as someone who lives in the core I think this is great. Despite how much I enjoy shopping on Queen West it will be great to have a bargain department store close for the every day things I need. To me the fact that stores like this are moving downtown is a great sign that residential numbers have reached the critical mass necessary to support large retail.

Plus stores like this are open 7 days a week and typically have extended opening hours. It will bring more traffic than your typical condo retail.

What I mean is Target's Canadian Head Office doesn't need to be downtown. First, they are just a puppet organization managed from the U.S. and second, they are a cluster of buyers travelling more than office work so they have a much greater need to be near the airport than downtown. So why pay the additional rent just to get caught in one of the worst traffic jams in the world?

Two words ... Island Airport ! That's honestly the great thing about it, its increasing the ability to locate downtown with relative ease for American companies ... maybe no direct flights from their HQ yet ... but I hope this allows more and more American companies to locate downtown.

I think big box power centres belong further east where roads are empty enough to accommodate them. Maybe near the T&T supermarket on Cherry. If Target comes to the table with a concept like Sobey's Urban Fresh or the market by Longo's (small stores, quick serve options, less selection but quality product) then I'm all for it. Anything like the Bed Bath & Beyond at Aura would disrupt Southcore/Harbourfront for the worse.

Last edited:

Back