Yeah, would be nice....however we don't have a Mark Cuban type dot.com billionaire to finance something as beautiful as this.

MLSE has more than enough money to make the square just as beautiful. The interlocking brick they chose looks so cheap.

Those pictures above illustrate why I can't figure out why many on this forum are so stary-eyed about this area. So far its ugly and desolate and the non-planter with the non-trees certainly indicate that they have little intention of making it any nicer.

This area says one thing: "we do not want you to be outside here".

I'm not seeing it ... please tell me what is so much better about those other pictures.

Sure the lighting is nice but other then that? It's very similar, actually, it lacks any trees, the only positives are that the planter with grass is actually a planter and can serve a seat and the ground seems a little bit better - but that's iffy, I like the look of the brick vs say colored asphalt.

The problem with Maple Leaf Square is that it's too compact. It's not even a square. It would be better if they just elimated the road that leads up to the ACC.
I was thinking about this the other day. If they'd just taken the brickwork right across the street, with maybe some markings or bollards to indicate where to drive, it would completely change the aspect of the area. Perhaps they still can, when the other side of the street is done?

The area in front of the American Airlines arena is fantastic. I had a chance to visit and it has great atmosphere before the games. There are usually a bunch of displays set up in front with a bunch of vendors and retailers and on the right side, they have a street level tv studio. We should have done something along the same lines, only better.

Just found this:

1172_5_1000%20&Co%20Telus%206.jpg

Nov 14 visit

They have removed the hording in ACC for part of the PATH. They were busy beavers working in the PATH area today and about a week away from opening up it.

I agree the area is very barren and needs something for people to sit on as well green.

IMG_nov-14-09-0064.jpg

They are building higher flower bed on York St here as well next door
IMG_nov-14-09-0063.jpg

Nice big sidewalk on York Street! For some reason I never realized it was going to be so wide there :).

Nice big sidewalk on York Street! For some reason I never realized it was going to be so wide there :).

Considering the amount of people (14M) going to the waterfront yearly, you need lots of room to move them.

When all those new condo's and office building come on line, it going to be very busy on this street.

I wonder why it looks white when the letters are purple. Is it the same kind of sidelighting thing that the new Union Station sign is?

I wonder why it looks white when the letters are purple. Is it the same kind of sidelighting thing that the new Union Station sign is?
I haven't seen the sign at night time myself, but purple is a very difficult color to light up and see effectively. What they probably did was use a vinyl face material that appears purple by day but lets white light through at night, as the white letters would be much more visible than purple ones.

Yeah, that would be a "state-of-the-art" sign - appears dark during the day but white at nighttime. The Vancouver Sun and Province newspapers in Vancouver have similar signs (black/brown during the day and white at night).

Back