Only if you only ever look at buildings from 90 degree angles would the signs be wasted. You can see these from many approaching angles of the Gardiner and local streets, from the lake (city shots), from a plane, etc...

Besides, you don't build shiny new headquarters and then skimp on your brand identity because other buildings are around.

Marko is of course exactly right. The name is the game... and when the name is this friggin' big, it will be seen.

And this type of mega "look at me" corporate branding... available on north and south sides... is simply enormous compared to the other "tasteful" corporate glows... the sort of thing that used to be banished to the western Gardiner billboard forest of days gone by (buy).. like Inglis and SONY SONY SONY SONY etc.

Pretty sure a few thousand eyes will see the chest-thumping TELUS sign every hour (particularly at night).

Begs the question... where is Bell at night? Guess they have already planned an exit strategy/bankrupcy plan (yipppeee!).

And this type of mega "look at me" corporate branding... available on north and south sides... is simply enormous compared to the other "tasteful" corporate glows... the sort of thing that used to be banished to the western Gardiner billboard forest of days gone by (buy).. like Inglis and SONY SONY SONY SONY etc.

Pretty sure a few thousand eyes will see the chest-thumping TELUS sign every hour (particularly at night).
The Telus signs are no bigger than those on FCP for BMO, for example, they're just much closer to the ground and might seem bigger. They're also WAAAY smaller than the Fairmont signs or Roger's Centre signs that are within eyeshot of this building.

Gripe all you want about chest thumping or "taste" but there's nothing new about big signs atop buildings. RBC Dexia is fairly big, as is Bank of America, as is the Intercontinental (in terms of square footage).

I somewhat agree that just the stylized "T" that they have would maybe look cooler, more understated like the TD or Scotia logos, but this set of Telus letters really isn't that bad. There are signs along the DVP and 427 that are more obtrusive than this one.

Nov 3

4076305721_62ca957138_b.jpg

4077063500_1123966174_b.jpg

4076308953_b0ce7cc8c1_b.jpg

4076313027_7088ac3702_b.jpg

4076310851_0d2695ffb0_b.jpg

What's so wrong with corporate branding/logoing? I'm happy to see the evidence of more and more corporate head offices opening downtown. Gives the city a sense of prosperity.

4076310851_0d2695ffb0_b.jpg

Grey signage on what looks to be a grey background. What were they thinking? The name of this monumental station should stand out!

November 5 Picture

Grey signage on what looks to be a grey background. What were they thinking? The name of this monumental station should stand out!

You spoke too soon! Here is a picture from around 5pm today with the lights turned on. Sorry for the poor Blackberry quality. Also the trees have been installed in the pit outside Telus.

PS Thanks wyliepoon for your extension photo updates on all the threads yesterday.

4078519963_f20e545767_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/4078519963/

I think they're using solar lighting during daylight hours.

According to the city of Toronto's web site the following retail tenants have building permits...

Starbucks
Telus Store
Fit for Life
International News

Back