it's funny, it's the energy of the entertainment district that has attracted all the development - but the development in turn will probably end up killing the entertainment district....

All these large developments in the district are replacing old parking lots. I'd gladly live with a few shadows if it meant fewer cars. If anything, all the new people in this area will add to the energy.

I've got a question for those who are claiming to be pro-height yet are arguing that this area is not suited for highrise development. Just where exactly do you think highrises are appropriate in this city?

The CBD is largely surrounded by mid-rise neighbourhoods, as is typically the case in any city. If we're not going to build highrises adjacent to the central core, where else could they possibly go that wouldn't similarly violate neighbourhood scale?

Yonge and Bloor is largely hemmed in by the university and Yorkville, so we're not going to see any significant growth there. There are a handful of lots along Bay St. that are being filled in as we speak. The core is already bound by Nathan Phillips Square on the north, and various low-rise neighbourhoods to the east. There are only a small handful of lots remaining to the south. Going west is the only thing that makes sense, especially considering that the area is already speckled with very tall developments.

If this city is going to keep growing, we need to go up, not out. Give it a couple of decades and we'll pretty much be out of empty lots downtown. Then we'll be wishing we had built higher in the first place instead of having to knock things down.
I should first state that I'm not anti-height for this location. Honestly, this address is two or three buildings away from a highrise in all directions (RBC to the south, boutique to the north, Sunlife towers to the east and Festival tower to the west) so it seems ideally situated to be among a cluster of tall buildings.

Having said that, your arguments/points, well valid, are fairly warn out. It is generally understood that we have to "grow up, not out" and that the CBD is largely surrounded by mid-to-high rise towers. I would also reject that the core is bound by Nathan Phillip Square to the north, as there are plenty of taller or equal-to the height of this proposal north of Dundas. You reference other districts, like Bloor/Yonge and claim that the growth there is limited. It is not. There are plenty of lots and areas for larger scale development in this specific growth area and many others.

The City of Toronto's official plan designates growth areas. It also designates neighbourhoods that should be left in tact. It is a fine balance and one that cannot, and should not, be watered down to the taller, better vs the historical, hysterical.

With that out of my system, I stand by the need to adequately and respectfully integrate new, high-rise developments into low-rise avenues, regardless of location. To me, taller isn't better if the end product does not fit in to the fabric of the existing built form. My hang-up with this proposal is just that, will the development enhance or greet the street with respect and dignity? King Street between University and Spadina is a legendary stretch. It should not be diluted. I admit that introducing a 40-storey tower in this small lot will risk overwhelming the nature of the street and street wall. Every effort to eliminate that risk should be taken.

A while back I was at a community meeting where Peter Clewes made a presentation that played down the actual visibility of the tower. The rendering of the south elevation gave the impression that this tall, thin tower actually stood further north than its actual location.

The ground level images looked promising as well.

Development meeting for my spectacular development on King West - Theatre Park - coming Spring 2010.44 minutes ago from web BradJLamb
Brad J Lamb

He's testing the market. If there's enough interest than he'll proceed with sales.

City Approval?

I also wonder if this project has bee approved by the city.

Does any one have an update on city approval.

There was a community meeting concerning this tower in early September. Did anyone manage to go?

This application hasn't been approved by the City yet. I'm not sure what the time line on the application is but I'd expect a planning report to be on one of the next couple community council meeting agendas.

Meeting about 224 King St W, Sep 29

http://www.adamvaughan.ca/events_article.php?article=443

Meeting about 224 King St W and 99 Blue Jays Way
Share on Facebook
Date: September 29 2009
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 pm

The City of Toronto, City Planning division is hosting this meeting to present plans and receive feedback about two development applications in the King-Spadina area.

Date: Tuesday, September 29
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm

The two development projects being considered are 224 King St W (which will be presented first, at 7:00 pm), and 99 Blue Jays Way (which will be presented at 8:00 pm).

224 King St W is located on the north side of King St W, between Simcoe St and Duncan St, immediately to the east of the Royal Alexandra Theatre. It is currently being used as a parking lot. A 45-storey residential building with commercial uses at grade and a courtyard along King St W is proposed.

99 Blue Jays Way is located on the south-east corner of Blue Jays Way and Mercer St, and is currently occupied by Wayne Gretzky’s Restaurant. A 40-storey mixed-use building with commercial uses at grade is proposed.​

There you go! I'd heard the meeting was in September, but fortunately it's at the end of September - which means I might be able to go.

Not sure how to post a picture within the message, so I attached it to this message. I believe most of the information has been mentioned on this thread, but it just adds to documentation.

Attachments

• Notice.JPG
    Notice.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Back