Was down at Union today but getting off from the old side. Wish they had used clear panels to block off the tracks as it's pretty dark and depressing there now.

Yeah, it feels more like a dingy basement than a subway station at this point, especially with the tarp on the south side.

you do realize that Sheppard Subway was opened in 2002. That's two decades after they realized that asbestos is dangerous, and stopped using it...
Just to clear up a misconception, asbestos use is not banned in Canada. In fact, absestos laden cement-piping is still commonly used in new builds, such as high-rise condominiums. Typically they are used as drains. There are also tiles, panels, and other materials being used that still contain asbestos.

Last edited:
I used the new platform for the first time today, and I was impressed by it. They seem to have put a lot of thought into the permeability of the platform, and having all of those connections will do so much to relieve congestion. The ceiling does seem low, but the platform is so well lit that it doesn't feel cramped at all. It also looked like they'd made some progress on the edge of the old platform. There was a sheetrock wall in one spot, and there were other areas where the protective edging had been removed and the underside of the platform reinforced. The new is already a huge improvement on the old, even in its unfinished state. By the end of the year the entire experience of going through Union will be way more pleasant.

The one thing I couldn't figure out though was the western-most set of stairs to the new platform. The interior of the stairwell has a different finish, and the stairwell also looks like it was set up to allow for it to be closed off. The hallway at the top of the stairs also passes by mechanical rooms for the station (with windows in the doors to let people see into the mech rooms?) so I'm wondering if that access is eventually intended to function as a back-of-house area?

The one thing I couldn't figure out though was the western-most set of stairs to the new platform. The interior of the stairwell has a different finish, and the stairwell also looks like it was set up to allow for it to be closed off. The hallway at the top of the stairs also passes by mechanical rooms for the station (with windows in the doors to let people see into the mech rooms?) so I'm wondering if that access is eventually intended to function as a back-of-house area?
I was wondering about that. The plans on the TTC website show that stairwell as not being public. Change of plan? Temporary to alleviate congestion with escalators unavailable?

It's temporary. You'll find the plans in slots 5 and 6 in the renderings section of the dataBase file.

Sir John A Macdonald Plaza is shaping up nicely

L3zsRUk.jpg

1llm7r8.jpg

bgqBTPg.jpg

I was wondering about that. The plans on the TTC website show that stairwell as not being public. Change of plan? Temporary to alleviate congestion with escalators unavailable?

Or maybe just for when there's a crush load like after a Leaf game or concert?

It's such a stark contrast between the brand new shiny second platform, and the wood floor in the concourse, and the now-sketchy looking old platform.

It's such a stark contrast between the brand new shiny second platform, and the wood floor in the concourse, and the now-sketchy looking old platform.

Yeah, hopefully we'll start seeing the old platform modernized and the glass wall installed soon.

Just used the station for the first time since they opened the new platform today - have to say all the ongoing construction made the old platform very oppressive and vaguely dangerous (I can't imagine anyone with physical disabilities navigating that space safely at all). I think they've lucked out that it's been a relatively cool summer - the space is perfect for setting off panic attacks.

AoD

Just used the station for the first time since they opened the new platform today - have to say all the ongoing construction made the old platform very oppressive and vaguely dangerous (I can't imagine anyone with physical disabilities navigating that space safely at all). I think they've lucked out that it's been a relatively cool summer - the space is perfect for setting off panic attacks.

AoD

Or a flood.

half of the old platform is closed off being fixed up.
soon a wall will be going up
IMG_20140908_162146786.jpg

half and half.... looking at the old part and seeing the new.
the old part looks so dark.
IMG_20140908_162204377.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140908_162146786.jpg
    IMG_20140908_162146786.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_20140908_162204377.jpg
    IMG_20140908_162204377.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 839
Instead of a wall it should be a platform door that never opens. But in the case of an emergency that option would be available.

Instead of a wall it should be a platform door that never opens. But in the case of an emergency that option would be available.

What possible emergency could occur that would allow the station to remain open and yet prevent the use of the new south platform?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back