Yeah we ended up doing a sort of crude calculation and figured out roughly what the cost would be. Thanks for the quick response though!

Assuming it were possible to procure, it would've been cool to have a large (or even small) piece of the Berlin wall on the blast wall, near Queen's Quay as a sort of tourist attraction/memorial/public art piece.

Assuming it were possible to procure, it would've been cool to have a large (or even small) piece of the Berlin wall on the blast wall, near Queen's Quay as a sort of tourist attraction/memorial/public art piece.

Because everyone wishes that their condo had a chunk of wall that was the place where dozens of people were shot trying to flee East Germany. Not only would nobody want that as part of their condo building, but the Berlin Wall has zero context to this site, and no tourist would include a tiny fragment of the wall as part of their trip itinerary.

What possible connection is there between the Berlin Wall and this site on former industrial land on Toronto's harbourfront? That is so out of context that I have no idea how you came up with that... I almost feel it's an offensive concept, putting a very tangible part of a touchy history from another country int the facade of a private residential condominium.

By the way, it's not a blast wall, it's just pre-cast concrete you see there.

Last edited:
There's a piece of the Berlin Wall by a street corner in Seoul. Kind of cool as a piece of public art I suppose, but I don't think it was intended to be a tourist attraction.

... the hell? Okay....

Um, I can't even... uh, really? That's one of the most random things I've ever heard.

Client: Hey guys, what can we put on this wall that faces a sugar refinery to spruce it up a bit?
You: Well, the Berlin WALL was a WALL... so why don't we put some WALL on this WALL? Maybe some of the great WALL of China too! Get it?? Walls! WALLS!
Client: Go home, you're drunk.

Random? Hardly. There are chunks of the Berlin wall all over the world; some are real, others just claimed. I thought it would've been an interesting idea, since the wall is so large and imposing, and signifies a divide between modern harbour land uses vs. the old industrial area, similar to the way the Berlin wall signified the divide between two vastly different parts of the city. How is that random? It seems very relevant to me.

And the wall faces onto private property, so no one will see it. The wall will probably have development abutting it in the not-so-distant future. And *every* wall divides things. That's the point of a wall. The wall in my living room sections off the area I watch tv in from the area I cook in. Should that one get a chunk of the Berlin Wall too?

Random? Hardly. There are chunks of the Berlin wall all over the world; some are real, others just claimed. I thought it would've been an interesting idea, since the wall is so large and imposing, and signifies a divide between modern harbour land uses vs. the old industrial area, similar to the way the Berlin wall signified the divide between two vastly different parts of the city. How is that random? It seems very relevant to me.

East and West Berlin/Germany was a little bit more than different land uses. Do you even know what the layout of the wall looked like?

Today's front page story on this building has some fab new pics of that craaaazy scaffold now in place to clad the east Skybridge.

Stunning! They are looking awesome in reality and far better than the renderings -- which, as we know, have significant limitations...on top of developers sometimes modifying materials (for better or for worse) during construction. Great shots.

I just saw Pier 27 make an awkward cameo in a Discount car rental commercial. I would look for a link but...hockey.

I just saw Pier 27 make an awkward cameo in a Discount car rental commercial. I would look for a link but...hockey.

Go leafs go! 10 more min then you can look it up for us ; )

Back