The pictures being posted for this building are great. Keep them coming. I agree with others, Great Gulf's attention to detail, and staying true to the original design is showing. Unlike the earlier Spire project on Church that was built without the Spires.

I hope this is true and GGH does not forget to add the missing cladding beams ;) Time will tell. Also the bricking on the towns looks a bit chopping, but I assume they are going to finish it up.

On a second note, what were the spires on Spire suppose to be?

Spires

Architects Alliance, designed a similar spire for the Spire. It is constructed from an aluminum extrusion added to the face of the window's vertical mullions.

Check out these pics taken today.

The first pic - that's why they pay these guys the big bucks!

Attachments

• IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3891.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 294
Is anybody else worried about the possibility of having TONS of investors in the building? I have recently learned from a friend who is a realtor that the X has been discounting the units pretty aggressively for the past 6-8 weeks offering discounts of up to 90K!!! it got me worried because typically, these types of discounts attract plenty of investors who want to flip and/or rent making the building from a nice pricey condo to a high end apartment building. Obviously, alot of investors will effect the value of the building in a negative manner and i dont want to lose $$$. anybody with me on this?

great pictures. keep them coming. windows seem to be getting installed quickly, and the vertical spires and corners look crisp

Is anybody else worried about the possibility of having TONS of investors in the building? I have recently learned from a friend who is a realtor that the X has been discounting the units pretty aggressively for the past 6-8 weeks offering discounts of up to 90K!!! it got me worried because typically, these types of discounts attract plenty of investors who want to flip and/or rent making the building from a nice pricey condo to a high end apartment building. Obviously, alot of investors will effect the value of the building in a negative manner and i dont want to lose $$$. anybody with me on this?

I wouldn't be too worried. Every piece of property is an "investment" in one way or another. The fact that the developer offered discounts during a rough economic patch will not be relevant once the building is complete and fully occupied. The important thing is to "invest" for the long term, and this means beyond the post-registration period, when potential flippers will be most active. Let the first phase of buyers sell out. The second wave is where this building will reach its value. This is because an original purchaser who buys a two bedroom for $400,000, may settle for a slight profit in a quick flip. The next purchaser would obviously want more than that. In my opinion, by that point (say, around 2015), the economy will have (hopefully) fully recovered, and a quality building in a great location such as this will command top dollar. Keep an eye on what happens with 1BE. If the Bazis project goes ahead (with or without new investors), the entire Bloor-Yorkville area will see a surge in prices. The important thing is always LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION....but here you might say it is LOCATION, QUALITY, and PATIENCE!

Residential construction in the GTA is almost all unionized and virtually all the high-rise trades are unionized - next year contracts come due in the spring, so there is a chance of work stoppages. Outside the GTA there is virtually zero union presence.

Last edited:
I bought my first property in 1995 and when it finally began to rise above ground, the strikes began. One after the other. First it was the the dry-wallers and tapers, then the bricklayers followed by the crane operators etc. and each eventually caused a stop effect, eventually halting other trades from doing their jobs. From what I recall in the early 2000's all trade collective agreements were negotiated together or merged (I can't remember which) so that different trades couldn't strike such as what happened in the late 90's.
Bottom line, these folks are indeed unionized.

Earlier today, I was standing on Charles admiring the rendering and the actual building behind - the coloured bits on the building correspond exactly to the coloured bits on the rendering

I have been in and out of the sales office during the past two months, trying to gather info for making an investment decision. Yes ( I am a potential INVESTOR). I was told that the majority of sales so far have been for ownership/ occupation. Yes, some suites have been aggressively discounted, but they appear to be the suites that will be totally blocked by Couture, (Monarch) next door. I did meet other purchasers while there, all in love with the project, all intending to live there.

Last edited:
July 4th Update

The north and west sides today. The structure is now complete to the 21st floor, almost halfway there.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:

Back