Subway to...Newmarket?
While I do think extending Line 1 to Elgin Mills along might make sense from a price perspective, such a project would be extremely cheap compared to other Subway projects, and would go far in offering an RER service near Yonge since the Richmond Hill Line is unlikely to get RER service anytime soon, its difficult to justify anything past that. If we humour these folks for just a second, we're going to build a 20km extension on an elevated guideway through the Oak Ridges Moraine which is A) Steep, B) completely undeveloped due to the Greenbelt, and C) to serve a city that will be served by the Barrie Line which would leave Line 1 as serving a tiny amount of people that need to go to downtown Richmond Hill that would be served by Viva Blue just fine? not to mention the subway would have to go underground at Aurora due to the city center unless Line 1 starts running on the Barrie Line corridor which would be funny. It would definitely turn Line 1 into one of the most unique Subway Line on earth.

I suppose we should just rip up all the brand-new bus rapid ways then

Sigh. It's stuff like this that undermines the legitimacy of the project in the eyes of people who really don't differentiate between south Richmond Hill and Newmarket.

Fact is, it's about 20km from Steeles down to Lake Ontario and about 30 up to Newmarket; it's FAR. And it's on the other side of the Oak Ridges Moraine. There is a zero-percent chance it's a project that would EVER make sense. It's a dumb, dumb idea.

As I and others have said, multiple times, even with infinite $ and time, I think Major Mac or Elgin Mills is the most you could ever justify. The historic RH core is at Major Mac and then there's still some development to the north but then it tapers off substantially as get towards the moraine, Oak Ridges and Aurora. Even if it made sense from that perspective (and it doesn't!) the subway travel times from Newmarket to anywhere - forget downtown, even just to Steeles! - would be ridiculous. I mean, it must be 2+ hours to downtown from there.

They should just stop talking.

Why stop there? Let's get a subway to Sudbury while we're at it. It would be nice to take the subway to Cottage Country ;)

The only place we could build the most expensive overground in the world, blasting away shield rock to make way for tracks! LOL

The only place we could build the most expensive overground in the world, blasting away shield rock to make way for tracks! LOL

Admittedly, it'd be cool if they did glass tunnels through the Moraine aquifers. Then you could charge extra for the tourist attraction. Maybe put some sharks in there, even. People love sharks.

Admittedly, it'd be cool if they did glass tunnels through the Moraine aquifers. Then you could charge extra for the tourist attraction. Maybe put some sharks in there, even. People love sharks.
Unfortunately, a good number of Chinese people in the area would see the sharks and want to eat their fins.

Me, I believe that shark fin soup is very unsustainable, which is why I don't eat it.

Back