Admittedly, it'd be cool if they did glass tunnels through the Moraine aquifers. Then you could charge extra for the tourist attraction. Maybe put some sharks in there, even. People love sharks.
A glass tunnel to look at...rocks? An aquifer is just porous rock.

A glass tunnel to look at...rocks? An aquifer is just porous rock.
You've never heard of the ferocious Great Lakes Rock Shark?

Anyways, I don't see any mention of anyone wanting the Line 1 to be extended beyond High Tech Road. Newmarket's mayor seems to be more concerned about northern York Region paying for a subway project if its residents don't know how it benefits them. It's a valid concern, but I also don't see why it's Metrolinx's responsibility to emphasize how every infrastructure project benefits Newmarket.

Anyways, I don't see any mention of anyone wanting the Line 1 to be extended beyond High Tech Road. Newmarket's mayor seems to be more concerned about northern York Region paying for a subway project if its residents don't know how it benefits them. It's a valid concern, but I also don't see why it's Metrolinx's responsibility to emphasize how every infrastructure project benefits Newmarket.

It's the same problem - what's in it for us?! It's called living in a society - it's why we have taxes. How does it benefit ME, a guy who doesn't ride GO, to have my taxes paying for a GO train to Newmarket or Barrie? Or if I'm healthy, why am I paying for someone else's cancer treatment? (I'm saying it to him, not you.) For that matter, the biggest chunk of funding is coming from the federal and provincial governments because there is a tacit understanding these projects have broad benefits and as long as people in Cornwall and Winnipeg aren't complaining, I don't really want to hear that Newmarket feels left out.

Newmarket made the same argument with Viva and they got their BRT lanes and good for them; I think they are well-scaled and will encourage real, and necessary intensification in Newmarket. But a subway is a whole other deal and you just have to accept that there isn't a straight line you can see from the definite economic developments the Line 1 extension will bring to York Region outside of the actual corridor, but they are there.

I said before and i'll say it again, there needs to be some kind of impenetrable concrete/steel hard cap placed at the tail tracks of both the (proposed) Richmond Hill Centre station, and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station.

To prevent from idiotic extentions from ever being proposed from idiots who know nothing about what constituents a transit system.

Has anyone... read the actual article? (other than Duffo)

They are not, I repeat, they are not asking for a subway extension. They are asking to be part of the conversation in terms of easy access to the station including parking and other transit
I continually see presentations that barely mention north York Region in this process. I would like to see more information about connectivity, other forms of transportation, what kind of parking is planned for commuters"
-Newmarket Mayor John Taylor
Even though the extension will not be reaching as far as Newmarket, Taylor said the project is an important one for all of York Region.
A mayor within the York Region is asking to be on the table for the York Subway Extention. Groundbreaking.

Has anyone... read the actual article? (other than Duffo)

They are not, I repeat, they are not asking for a subway extension. They are asking to be part of the conversation in terms of easy access to the station including parking and other transit

A mayor within the York Region is asking to be on the table for the York Subway Extention. Groundbreaking.
Well that doesn't make much sense either. Remember, the southern border of Newmarket is 21km away from RHC, that is about as far away from RHC as RHC is to Union Station. Even with part of the corridor being turned into a rapidway, the time it takes to get from Newmarket Terminal to RHC at the moment on Viva Blue is 50 mins (it is currently 8:20 in the evening so Yonge Street should be relatively empty). While I don't doubt some people might take this commute, this is an ungodly amount of time that there are very little situations where anyone would make use of this entire route or would rely on High Tech or RHC stations commuting from Toronto, not to mention that by the time this gets built, Newmarket will already have electrified all day GO service. The only situation where someone from Newmarket would rely on or would be impacted by how this/these station(s) will be designed are people who get on the 404 and drive to RHC which would be a weird commuting pattern, and if that's something you have to do, it would probably be easier, cheaper, and faster, to just take the GO train to your destination. The only remaining reason for this is cost splitting, being part of York Region, how much (if at all) would Newmarket have to pay for the extension if that's something that would be discussed in these meetings in which case fair enough, but that's as far as it makes sense.

Well that doesn't make much sense either. Remember, the southern border of Newmarket is 21km away from RHC, that is about as far away from RHC as RHC is to Union Station. Even with part of the corridor being turned into a rapidway, the time it takes to get from Newmarket Terminal to RHC at the moment on Viva Blue is 50 mins (it is currently 8:20 in the evening so Yonge Street should be relatively empty). While I don't doubt some people might take this commute, this is an ungodly amount of time that there are very little situations where anyone would make use of this entire route or would rely on High Tech or RHC stations commuting from Toronto, not to mention that by the time this gets built, Newmarket will already have electrified all day GO service. The only situation where someone from Newmarket would rely on or would be impacted by how this/these station(s) will be designed are people who get on the 404 and drive to RHC which would be a weird commuting pattern, and if that's something you have to do, it would probably be easier, cheaper, and faster, to just take the GO train to your destination. The only remaining reason for this is cost splitting, being part of York Region, how much (if at all) would Newmarket have to pay for the extension if that's something that would be discussed in these meetings in which case fair enough, but that's as far as it makes sense.
Newmarket could be handed by GO Trains (or the Trillium Network), if they increase the hours of service and headways. It would run express compared with the Line 1 local service.

1617050244-trillium1.jpg

From link.

Mr. Taylor sits on York Region council and has a voice there. I'm not sure why his town (as we've all pointed out, 20+km from the subway) should have a say about something like parking still seems weird. Indeed about the last thing I want to see around Highway 7 is parking put in to accommodate commuters from Newmarket.

We all rightly find it annoying when suburban Toronto councillors have undue influence on downtown decisions (Gardiner East comes to mind, offhand) and this seems kind of the same to me. Imagine some Etobicoke councillor insisting he get a say about anything like parking on the Ontario Line. He's on Toronto council and that's his role, as far as it goes. Stay in your lane.

As a Vaughan resident, do I think I have anything of value to tell Newmarket about its GO or Viva service, or even the Bradfofd Bypass? Not really.

I think this is mostly much ado about nothing, the paper looking for a local angle on a regional story, and Taylor seems a decent dude. No harm, no foul.

Newmarket could be handed by GO Trains (or the Trillium Network), if they increase the hours of service and headways. It would run express compared with the Line 1 local service.

1617050244-trillium1.jpg

From link.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by Local service being handled by Line 1, you mean a subway extension all the way up to Newmarket?

The local service is handled by Viva Blue though, a route that has very large stop spacing, as well as a (potential) dedicated ROW making a Line 1 extension unnecessary, and due to the large stop spacing won't fall victim to the short stop spacing and slow service trap that the Toronto LRTs will likely fall in. Unlike the Richmond Hill Line, the Barrie Line has a ton of interchanges with other lines and potential transit hubs making it a great contender for a mainline RER service, all of which makes it a great contender for both Local and Express type service as the TRBOT proposal says (unlike the Richmond Hill Line which will only ever be useful as a "downtown express"), and I'm saying all of this as someone who is typically against placing LRTs on primary corridors instead of subways or light metros.

Quick map I made of what I think the Richmond Hill Subway extension should be instead.

An in-between the original all-underground alignment and Ford's new less-undergound-as-possible alignment. From Finch, it would go up north and turn east at the border of the Holy Cross Cemetary. It would come up to surface and then turn north when it comes to the train tracks to Richmond Hill Centre.

Obviously build Cummer/Drewry and Clark stations. A recent York Region News article outlined that residents are already unhappy with Ford's alignment of tunnelling under the neighbourhood near Royal Orchard. They would be even more unhappy if Ford tunnelled under their neighbourhood and does not even build Royal Orchard station to serve them. Royal Orchard Station was previously dropped from the original subway plan because it would have lower than Bessarion levels of ridership and growth. I propose putting a station slightly north at Baythorn to add more ridership closer to more existing homes and would allow more developable area, where there are many strip malls ripe for condos. It would be a shame if this neighbourhood gets zero rapid transit and just skips over, or under, them.

The residents complaining suggested digging under the cemetary instead as that would only disturb dead people. So I would suggest the subway to dig north and come out from the cemetary, thus saving tunnelling costs as per Ford's request. Then a station at Langstaff below Highway 407 as that is a high density urban plan area and would connnect to Langstaff GO Station. A station across the highway at Richmond Hill Centre would serve the high density urban plan area there and connect to Viva. The spacing in my proposal between these two stations would be closer to 700 to 800 metres as opposed to Ford's plan of High Tech and Bridge stations at 400 metres spacing.
Richmond Hill 2-01.png

Back