News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

While I’m definitely not a Danielle Smith fan, blaming her or even the UCP government for decades of forestry mismanagement, particularly by the federal government in our national parks, is giving her and her government too much credit for the potential influence of short term decisions on long term trends.

I hope Jasper can be rebuilt in a more urban format than was there before. It is time to allow the town's population to grow a bit.

Did Marmot Basin survive the wildfire? How about the Jasper SkyTram?

UPDATE: Jasper The Bear, standing tall in a pic shared by the town. The fire is still out of control, hotter weather is coming. Crews bucketing around Marmot Basin. No damage update there yet. Fire is 32,000 hectares, largest in the park in 100+ years. #Jasper #abfire

GThCzeQbYAAe4tR

While I’m definitely not a Danielle Smith fan, blaming her or even the UCP government for decades of forestry mismanagement, particularly by the federal government in our national parks, is giving her and her government too much credit for the potential influence of short term decisions on long term trends.
Why does it have to be blame one or the other. Really there is plenty of blame to go around, I say kick both the b*stards out.

I hope Jasper can be rebuilt in a more urban format than was there before. It is time to allow the town's population to grow a bit.
Yes, I feel that will probably be what will happen. Single story residential buildings lost will be replaced by two storey or bigger, the lost two storey hotels from the 60's and smaller commercial buildings will also be replaced by something taller and bigger. They may fill more of the lots and put some of the parking underneath.

The old hotels were maintained and functional and could not easily be expanded, but now that they are gone the value of the land and changes over the last 50 years it does not sense to rebuild the same size.

I think any redevelopment needs to be carefully considered. Jasper's charm is its smallness. I'd hate to see it become another Banff. As I understand, most of the loss was at the southern end which is mostly SFHs. I suspect most residents will want to rebuild; not sell to some developer to build multi-story apts and condos. I prefer rebuild, not redevelopment. In the end. not our choice.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see given the VERY stringent Parks Can regs about expansion.
And locals will want it back the way it was. But insurance claims may add complexity as insurers will be looking for ways out not to have to pay if an act of god or negligence is at play. Perhaps the Province could have its insurance superintendent monitor the claims process to ensure fairness and speed in processing.

This is absolutely devastating. I know the Park and the Municipality had done alot of work to prep to prevent this after all the beetle kill 5-6 years ago. Seems like these two fires just ended up being the nightmare scenario of blocking off both of the major support routes to town combined with the worst possible conditions.

I have lots of thoughts on how the rebuild may go but it doesn't feel like the time. If people are wanting to help one of the local non-profits in Jasper has its own donation fund they are managing. https://www.jaspercommunityteamsociety.ca/ Unlike the Red Cross (who does do good work) these funds are controlled by and will be distributed 100% to people in Jasper.

I think any redevelopment needs to be carefully considered. Jasper's charm is its smallness. I'd hate to see it become another Banff. As I understand, most of the loss was at the southern end which is mostly SFHs. I suspect most residents will want to rebuild; not sell to some developer to build multi-story apts and condos. I prefer rebuild, not redevelopment. In the end. not our choice.
There is a huge rental demand in Jasper, but it is not just developers. Many home owners rebuilding will probably want to take advantage of it by say rebuilding a home that can accommodate an additional suite.

Sorry a two storey hotel made sense to build in the 1960s, but not in 2024. So rebuilding will not be exactly the same, however given where the fire damage happened it will not be that dramatic as most of the familiar commercial area and hotels are still there.

I hope that Jasper takes advantage of provincial and federal reconstruction funds. While the scenery is gorgeous, Jasper itself is pretty Alberta-average. What would make it better would be to allow small apartments in all parts of the town east of Bonhomme; permanently pedestrianize the area between Miette, Geikie, Connaught, and Hazel; replace buildings lost along the tracks and big inner town parking lots next to the rail tracks with parks; move the parking lots to the east side of the tracks; narrow Connaught, Geikie, Bonnehomme/Pine, Pyramid Lake, and Miette to add multi use paths. Would also consider changing some road names to less colonial names.

Back