News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

adma: The interesting thing about the ROM and AGO renovations is how the two architects go about orienting their additions to the original buildings. Libeskind creates a series of intriguing spaces - a thin, tall sliver of supposedly "negative" space on the east side of the Crystal where it faces-off against the 1934 wing for instance that isn't dead space at all. There is much visual delight in the building - Stair of Wonders and Spirit House in particular - that goes beyond simply providing galleries in which to see things. And Gehry will use Walker Court as a launching pad for a spiralling stairway to heaven, something else that is a unique experience for the visitor, and there will be a second floor walkway around it. Much to look forward to and celebrate.

Gehry has a lot more experience putting together large buildings, where as Libeskind has only constructed approximately 3-4. The overall finishes in the ROM are unfortunate, due to poor craftmanship and lack of attention to detailing...However, this is not something that cannot be remidied.

I have spoken to some architects who were/are on the ROM project and they mentioned that Libeskind- and his office seem to have very little knowledge of how a building really comes together, other than how to design it and let someone else figure the challenging stuff..in this case they did it themselves and supposedly it shows...I have yet to see it, but will reserve my judgement.

Gehry has honed his skills, as has his and has been able to perfect his designs so that the craftsmen responsible for building his projects are in a better situation to to understand his concepts and actually accomplish the tasks at hand- perfectly!

Noticed that glazing is going up today..seems to have some sort of protective film on it...even so it looks fantastic.

p5

I wonder what this could mean for the L Tower?

As for the AGO, while I like the exterior design, what I am really looking forward to is the interior reorganization.

832985530_5db9144c41_o.jpg

832985552_006d64aff8_o.jpg

832985602_629c9f1fe1_o.jpg

832985616_31452e8dbd_o.jpg

832985694_1259286768_o.jpg

832985736_3e4639f284_o.jpg

Not much has changed on the Dundas façade since I saw two weeks ago.

Nonetheless, the Grange Park side is seeing some major work. I like the glazing and if you look closely inside, you can see some dry walling being complete.

I'm going to be out of the country for two weeks, it'll be nice to see things changed when I get back. I'm looking forward to seeing the Gehryesque "peeled back" edges of the Dundas St. sculpture gallery.

Do we know a target month for completion? All I've heard was 2008.

I hope they are learning from the ROM's mistake, and will open with a major exhibition that will give people a reason to come see the building.

Very true. In fact, in one of this week's Globe & Mail there was an article about the ROM laying off staff, because the crowds were not as large as they anticipated.

I would think the $20 admission has a part of this problem at the ROM. I am sure that this has some people thinking twice - if you cut it by even a few dollars, less people will balk.

I think the reason why the ROM opened without a major exhibition was precisely so that people could come see the building.

The reason not much is happening at the front of the building is that a shipment of glue-lam beams ended up in the bottom of a lake after a truck ran off the road in BC. The work is done sequentially so they're waiting for new ones to be made.

In other news, the blue titanium on the east and west sides should start going up in a few weeks time.

Back