News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

ROM also opened right around when school ended and that brings alot of kids to come see it as well.

I hadn't walked by the AGO dundas strip in years. I was suprised: Dundas st west across from AGO is becoming rather cool--cafes, galleries etc--good to see! More cafes=all the better to view the Italian sculpture gallery from! But I must admit: I'm still disappointed with Gehry's treatment of the Dundas facade. It looks rather rural--ie like the skeleton of a barn or a suburban strip plaza--I almost expect to see a Pizza Hut, a convenience store and a dry cleaners under the "awning."

Grange park should be the natural front entrance to the AGO. That curving staircase to civilization (ie Queen St W) should be the front entrance via Grange House.

Next time.

^ see much earlier posts in this thread as to why that wouldn't work. Mainly, a historic house can't function as an entrance to an art museum with hundreds of daily visitors.

From August 3rd

ago1.jpg

ago2.jpg

ago3.jpg

ago4.jpg

ago5.jpg

ago6.jpg

ago8.jpg

ago9.jpg

ago7.jpg

I hadn't walked by the AGO dundas strip in years. I was suprised: Dundas st west across from AGO is becoming rather cool--cafes, galleries etc--good to see! More cafes=all the better to view the Italian sculpture gallery from! But I must admit: I'm still disappointed with Gehry's treatment of the Dundas facade. It looks rather rural--ie like the skeleton of a barn or a suburban strip plaza--I almost expect to see a Pizza Hut, a convenience store and a dry cleaners under the "awning."

Grange park should be the natural front entrance to the AGO. That curving staircase to civilization (ie Queen St W) should be the front entrance via Grange House.

Next time.

Only if they'd do something about the Chinatown dump.

IF you stand a little further up on Mcaul, you can see the staircase which is going along the north-side of the box- it has a bit of the spiral already installed, so it should give you a good indication of what the ones along the back will eventually look like.

p5

I like Chinatown, tons of character there.

I got sucked into a streetcar track on my bike in front of the construction there on Dundas on Tuesday and went down - and I was carefully trying to navigate without doing so. Cyclists beware that stretch!

The intersection is going to be close Labour Day weekend and based on what took place for the Church intersection, it will be close most of the week.

TTC will be replacing the tracks and switches.

Now if they get the rest of the front done, then the street can be rebuilt and there are sidewalks on the southside to use.

The front work came to a halt a couple months ago.

I got sucked into a streetcar track on my bike in front of the construction there on Dundas on Tuesday and went down - and I was carefully trying to navigate without doing so. Cyclists beware that stretch!
I've already taken that dive on my bike...

I took a couple of pics today...

AGO1.jpg

North Side

AGO2.jpg

ZooM in on the staircase

AGO3.jpg

South Side - on cloudy days that aluminum plating blends in quite well with the sky.

Been there done that. I also was paying attention and it still happened.

I'm still waiting for this building to win me over. The front seems fine, it's the back that concerns me but I'll hold off giving it the thumbs down until it's complete.

Too bad there wasn't enough money to allow Gehry to redesign the whole thing (or design a new one altogether).

Back