News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Perhaps much of it doesn't need to be redesigned, so it wasn't? The Walker Court is being incorporated and enhanced, not demolished, the Flying Tanenbaum's Gallery was spared, as was most of the curatorial wing. This is a reno, after all.

What can I say Urban Shocker; it is just the seduction of the new speaking.

From the Post:

Starchitect's renovation of AGO a real work of art
Renowned Architect Scores Big At Art Gallery
Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
Published: Thursday, September 06, 2007
Dundas and McCaul is one of Toronto's great corners, cluttered with streetcar tracks and overhead wires. The crazy Ontario College of Art and Design tabletop looms just down the street; on the north side of Dundas stand Victorian and Georgian houses in yellow brick. Art students mingle with women lugging granny carts of groceries.

I winced when workers here tore down the red-brick AGO, that grand curved shed in the industrial style -- built in 1993 -- and brought in Frank Gehry, the L.A. starchitecht who channeled his Hogtown roots to announce his design for the new AGO was inspired by a hockey rink, for God's sake.

But now that I've toured the place, I'm optimistic: Mr. Gehry seems to have designed a building in which to put art.

It's in contrast to Daniel Libeskind's "Crystal" up the street at the Royal Ontario Museum, where form trumps function. Proof: the ROM opened an empty building in June; curators in its new Textile Gallery are still puzzling how to hang tapestries in a space with no actual walls.

Sure, the AGO reno is six months behind schedule and costs have ballooned: from $190-million in 2004 to $254-million today. (The AGO has raised about $158-million from private sources and $67-million from governments, and needs $30-million more from someone.) But as a space to view a collection, the AGO kicks the ROM's ass.

"For us it's not only about the building but about the content," says Mike Mahoney, senior project manager, the closest he'll come to answering my question comparing the AGO to the ROM.

Our tour begins one floor below the street, in the future Thomson Ship Model Gallery (perhaps a bit of a stretch for the AGO, but okay).

Next we go to the ground floor; the new AGO entrance on Dundas Street is at the centre of the building.

It is now a much simpler layout than the old AGO. Mr. Mahoney points out Ambar limestone from Spain, which will cover the main floor. The teardrop shapes are wheelchair ramps covered in laminated vertical grain Douglas fir.

On the east end a restaurant is coming together; the unfinished bar looks like an homage to Libeskind, a crazy geometric construct in iron beams. Unlike the old AGO's eatery, this restaurant can stay open, with a separate Dundas entrance, when the museum closes.

Upstairs we go to galleries where Thompsons and Kreighoffs will hang in rooms whose skylights will let in enough natural light to illuminate but not damage the paintings.

From there we step out into the Galleria Italia, a 150-metre long, glass-faced hall named for 21 Italian-Canadian donors who plunked down $500,000 each. The ribs, of laminated Douglas fir from Penticton, B.C., are in place, still wrapped in green plastic.

Workers will actually bend glass panes on site to fit in frames along this huge expanse -- a stunt, Mr. Mahoney says, that Mr. Gehry has only tried once before, in New York. Standing here, I get it: the galleria will be a sublime place to view scupture, and also to admire the Victorian houses across Dundas. It connects the AGO to the 'hood.

"The wood is a very warm and residential material," explains Mr. Mahoney.

Then we head up the tower. On the fifth level is a spectacular space, with nine-metre ceilings and a glorious view south across Grange Park and down John Street to the Rogers Centre.

Workers will wrap this tower with 5,285 sheets of tinted blue titanium from Kyoto. Mr. Mahoney skips excitedly from floor to floor and down a wooden ladder connecting pieces of the unfinished corkscrew staircase.

He dashes under sparks spraying from a welder's torch.

"My wife will kill me if I come home with another shirt that's been scorched," he says.

Next month the AGO locks its doors for most of a year, and hopes to reopen, filled with its art, in the fall of 2008. Mr. Mahoney may lose a few more shirts in the interim, but it will be worth it.

pkuitenbrouwer@nationalpost.com

© National Post 2007

Regarding this manufactured AGO vs. ROM cage match, most of the ROM's exhibits in the newly renovated east and west wings are housed in freestanding displays that curators have been able to install successfully, and the Crystal galleries will follow the same format. The Crystal, like the new AGO, also has a much simpler layout.

I knew pretty early on that this one was gonna slide under the radar and surprise everyone because of how Gehry pays attention to minute details and often demands fine craftsmanship.

It's too bad not many people are paying attention to Transformation AGO and that little information is coming to UT regarding the interior of the building which I'm dying to see at this point.

Some of us are paying attention ;).

And it is heartening to hear about the attention to detail and material: this usually seperates good design and great design.

From the Post:

Workers will actually bend glass panes on site to fit in frames along this huge expanse -- a stunt, Mr. Mahoney says, that Mr. Gehry has only tried once before, in New York.

^
I think they could charge admission to watch this... (soundtrack: The Stones"' "Shattered").

^^With regards to bending the glass- I believe he incorporated such bent glass into the Conde Nast cafeteria:

529110942_6ef4a764a9.jpg

Conde_Nast_005.jpg

However, he is not the only one to do such- Eric Owen Moss, also did quite a bit of work try to perfect his bent glass for the Green Umbrella project:

umbrella.jpg

UMB_Ext_Top_View_Crop_small.jpg

I wish I could find the images of how they made these sheets of specialized glass, but no luck. I can however briefly explain how each panel is poured- first they weld together an undulating, lattice-like steel structure, which is capable of withstanding the high temperatures- they then completely fill all the holes with a special sand, making an even surface- an undulating even surface mind you. All of the glass also had to be poured pre-tension, with mounting holes and without any blemishes- many pieces cracked due to the extreme degrees of curvature, but in the end the figure it all out..

Just a little info..

p5

I'm really excited about the glass façade now! The best about this is that all the glazing should be in place before the winter to allow for construction to proceed during the colder months.

With that in mind, we should see a completion of the glulam beams by the end of September at the latest and the addition of the glazing soon after.

At that point, Dundas St. will have its icon and I think they'll be able to move back the hoarding.

I doubt you'll see the hoarding gone that soon. They still need the space as a staging area...the site's so tight there's no where else to receive deliveries, store materials etc.

Nonetheless, we'll see a 'finished' exterior soon since the exterior skin (glass), unlike the ROM, is a crucial factor in weather protection.

As for the blue titanium, I recall somebody saying October would see the beginning of its installation?

I have to admit that techniques may have changed somewhat since Eric Owen Moss completed the Green Umbrella building (1996). That said, the glass was made by a glass manufacturer and then shipped to the site, however, the procedure of getting it all prepared is done outside of the ovens. So, no onsite bending- i think this would be impossible- or at least very difficult, not to mention the size of the panels.

3D--> about glass-injection moulding- Well, it may be possible, but I think you would end up with glass that you cannot see through, or that looks smoky- in some applications maybe a desired look, but for most circumstances probably not so good.

p5

A roof made of glass jars? Glass volvo hatchback windows? I've seen it in a magazine--and i loved it!

Glass pillars with mr thompson's minature ship collection displayed within them?

Glass toilets, glass galleries?

Hydroforming glass panels--is that possible?

Back