News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

By the way, didn't the AGO say that their fundraising is going much better than expected and that they might surpass their goals?

If that's true, I wouldn't put aside the possibility of extra finishes being added but that's just hopeful thinking.

The interior has some spectacular spaces. The standout so far is the fifth (top) floor of the tower. Soaring spaces, made even larger by the addition of those boxes on the roof (the boxes are open to the inside, and have skylights on top), so you have clear spaces forty to fifty feet high in there.

There's also a cool little space that's been created on the South end of the building, with a long glass wall that faces onto the Grange house. And the front entrance is actually shaping up nicely, way more nicely than I was expecting. The glulam and glass thing works surprisingly well to create a very organic, natural feeling space. And the little serpentine ramp thingy is looking better and better as it gets closer to finished. It looked bulky at first, but the vertical wood slats they're putting onto the sides of it make it feel lighter.

Yes, the interior reconfiguration is something to look forward to. It will be a very different AGO on the inside.

The interior is what I'm really looking forward to. The exterior has never impressed me.

This seems to be surpassing expectations on many different levels, which is a good and rare thing. I think the profile of the AGO will be improved enormously through this reworking, so lets hope for some decent street planning and design in the surrounding area to compliment the improved museum.

This seems to be surpassing expectations on many different levels, which is a good and rare thing. I think the profile of the AGO will be improved enormously through this reworking, so lets hope for some decent street planning and design in the surrounding area to compliment the improved museum.

keep dreaming, this is Toronto! they might install some new wooden hydro poles, leaning at an angle, and come and slap some asphalt patches on the new sidewalks so that they blend in with the rest of the city

Welcome ToThe Dollhouse
Adam McDowell tours a miniature versionof the Art Gallery of Ontario as it undergoes its transformation

248469.bin

Linda Milrod, Transformation AGO's project manager, oversees the miniature recreation of the gallery, including tiny Elvii.

The fourth and fifth floors of the Art Gallery of Ontario's new south tower appear neat and tidy, with Michael Snows and Betty Good-wins a short distance from a Jeff Wall, a Gilbert & George and Andy Warhol's iconic Elvis I & II from 1963. The Richard Barry Fudger gallery, on the other hand, is a mess. Thomas Gainsborough's The Harvest Wagon lies face down on the floor while priceless 19th-century canvases are strewn about at the opposite end of the octagonal room. In this gallery, you can pull a Brueghel off the wall for a closer look. It is, after all, only a centimetre wide.

"They're not all in the best of shape," admits Linda Milrod, senior project manager in charge of programming for the gallery's Transformation AGO plan. "Things have fallen off the walls."

The gallery has been closed since last October as its Frank Gehrydesigned overhaul unfolds; the AGO hopes to reopen late this year. But before it does, it must decide what art goes where. The challenge has been solved in an endearingly simple manner. Milrod and her curatorial staff have spent the past several months haggling over a dozen foamcore models roughly on the scale of dollhouses. These galleries may be little, but what happens in them is key to the entire $254-million renovation project.

The dioramas are built from blueprints, employing methods and materials familiar to the humblest hobbyist. Gallery employees then use Photoshop to scale digital reproductions of paintings down to Fisher-Price size. They're cut out, glued on to card stock backings and stuck to the walls (sculptures can take a little more work to duplicate; at least one is made from aluminum foil).

Moving the pieces around to suit a curator's whim becomes child's play.

"It's an extraordinary situation. You don't normally find yourself installing 110 galleries all at once," Milrod says, competing with noise from workers' power tools (a constant feature of the closed-forrenos space).

The simplicity of the models belies the complexity of the task at hand. The AGO's permanent collection consists of about 68,000 artworks, of which 5,000 will be selected for installation. The number of potential configurations is practically limitless. "And the collection has grown like crazy over the past

five years," Milrod says. "We're going to have an extraordinary building, but a museum is about its content. That's why people come."

By far the most significant gift to the AGO in recent years was the late Ken Thomson's donation in 2002 of nearly 2,000 artworks, worth an estimated $300-million. The Thomson Collection will be split into three components -- Canadian, European and model ships -- and kept separate from the rest of the gallery's holdings.

For each of the major components of the collection (Canadian art, African, European, contemporary, library and archives, prints and drawings and photography), there is a team dedicated to selecting the art and arranging it in a way that is both aesthe tically pleasing and promotes discussion.

"We've selected work that's considered really great art," Milrod says. "People will see the best of what we have to offer. But it will be organized around ideas that the collection can illustrate and demonstrate. We want the galleries to be chatty places."

An eighth team, the criteria team, is tasked with enforcing the gallery's guiding principles and standards. Its mandate includes everything from fonts to deciding how erudite the display text should be. A ninth team's job is to establish a common feel for the "hubs," anterooms that will introduce each collection.

The makeshift meeting table at the AGO's project office has borne witness to some heated arguments, says a grinning Milrod, involving "lots of challenging, lots of push-back. It's taken a couple of years to get to this point." Debate centres around "particular juxtapositions of works of art with one another," and whether such positioning will successfully communicate a message to visitors about the linkages between artworks. Says Milrod: "There's a lot of discussion about, 'Will the visitor get it?' "

Whatever works are chosen to hang, and however they are arranged, the project manager says the AGO is fortunate to have Gehry Partners' blueprints to work with. "They have designed this building for art," Milrod says.

-Adam McDowell will be checking in with the AGO on a regular basis as the gallery undergoes its transformation.

They sift through 68,000 pieces, looking carefully for the best, then they photograph and print off tiny versions and debate where to hang them. That sounds arduous. And what's this about precious artwork lying face down? I hope that amidst all this excitement about fonts they remember to do a better job of hanging or mounting their selected five thousand works.

I suspect that the when the artwork is hung on the new gallery walls, they will take a little more care than they have with affixing 1 cm square miniatures to the model.

Indeed, the diorama won't reflect the quality of the gallery mountings. A nice model with the actual paintings could be an interesting way to document the arrangement, but their tasks are already arduous enough.

Good to see some more exterior progress, although I'm not too sure about those pillars holding up the wings.

I was hoping they'd redo the cladding, but I guess my donation didn't come close to covering the cost.

I'll assume that the cladding here is being treated as a de facto Parkin "heritage element". Certainly, the *inside* of the Henry Moore Gallery is as "heritage" as Parkin's parts get...

Back