News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

... and Moore had quite a bit of say in the design, I believe. Linking it to the Galleria Italia was a nice move too.

seeing the triangle shaped pieces of glass on the lower part of the sheild made me think about how GREAT it could have looked if the entire thing were covered in odd shaped pieces of glass. Forget square, rectangle or even triangle shaped glass panes of glass. The sheild could have been covered in very unique geometric shapes of various colour shades. That would have created a mosaic tile effect, kind of like a stained glass window.

Hey, it's been done--and I think, now, destroyed as well--at JFK Airport
glas600.jpg

Why would that have been better?

I think it would have added something needed to the sheild. I am liking it more and more (I really hated the design when first revealed), but a little texture would have been perfect IMO.

The AGO can still acheive this, somewhat, if they wanted. They could install temporary filters or stick-on plastic to each window to advertise exhibitions through the glass.

So that visitors strolling through the Galleria Italia could look out at Dundas Street through windows covered with externally-applied decals and pretend they're in a streetcar? Class act!

The shield is going to have an obstructed view to the outside regardless, because of the louvres being installed inside the Galleria. Only the bottom-most pane of glass will be clear vision, everything else will have heavy wooden blinds in front of it. Depending on the orientation of the viewer and the blinds (I believe they'll be mechanically operated) you might see nothing but wood when looking up.

So that visitors strolling through the Galleria Italia could look out at Dundas Street through windows covered with externally-applied decals and pretend they're in a streetcar? Class act!

Or those within the streetcar can look up at the advertising which is, of course, at such a level of quality as to match the works within the gallery opposite them, and pretend they're there for real? What a whimsical world of LRT make-believe!

From today, by moi:

Taken by URBAN!TY, January 27, 2008:

p1010013qz0.jpg

p1010014sa0.jpg

p1010015te9.jpg

Photos taken February 4 from the corner of Dundas and McCaul.

2243808268_a01b49701a_b.jpg

Southeast corner of the "box", it looks like they are installing the blue titanium on the east side.
2243808270_48c1866340_b.jpg

2243808276_cf1ecc9ed3_b.jpg

Stairs are being installed on the south side to the left/west of The Grange.
2243820872_04cf6db495_b.jpg

2243820874_7557de50c5_b.jpg

It's nice to see this project continue to move along. The end result will be a huge improve over the last version of the AGO is well worth the price tag.

Back