News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The little heaters in the Walker Court staircase seem to have done the job.

Giuseppe Penone's lovely leather trunks still aren't fully uncovered.

Lots to enjoy at the Holman Hunt show previewing today - with a couple of nice Rossetti's thrown in. There's a portrait of his son Cyril - who Hunt wanted to work at the ROM, apparently. Also, some costume loaners from the Museum.

Dundas St.W. North of AGO

What about the city of Toronto taking care of appropriate street furniture installation , elegant lamp posts etc?

There's still some exterior work taking place, but it will move soon. Patience.

Lots to enjoy at the Holman Hunt show previewing today - with a couple of nice Rossetti's thrown in. There's a portrait of his son Cyril - who Hunt wanted to work at the ROM, apparently. Also, some costume loaners from the Museum.

Loved the colour and detail; I think my favourites were the portraits of his wives, his son and even his mother-in-law. (I think she gave him "what-for!") The ROM costume loaners were an added bonus; seeing Hunt's worn slippers and paint splattered robe made him all the more human. Above all, if I may paraphrase a TV star of yore, "It's the Frames! The Frames!" What a loverly bunch of picture frames he made!:)

Streescaping on Dundas St. W

All is good and fine , but again, what about proper streetscaping on Dundas St. West across the street from AGO?
What the deal with those unly wooden hydro poles?
Why can't they along with all kinds of wires be buried underground and replaced by elegant street furniture and trees?
Is it downtown of a major metropolitan area or Wild West Town Shantytown?

Toronto's streets are pretty abysmal and it really makes the city look bad in some areas. David Miller has done a good job with the parks downtown and I believe he would dearly love to clean up the streets but I've heard that there's so much red tape and competing interests involved, that it takes forever to get anything done.

It all boils down to money, something that this city does not claim to have. The doomsday prophets would have a field day if the city were to spend some money on burying/consolidating utilities and streetscape beautification instead of lowering a potential tax increase or spending money on social concerns. 'They' scream louder then those of us who want to improve streets like Dundas, hence their voices dominate the spending.

Both cases under construction at once? Or one at a time? Area stanchioned off? Are they providing any temporary lighting for the workers?!

Several wee Scotsmen, toiling in the gloom. You can go down and watch, but aren't allowed to feed them.

Some of Holman Hunt's paintings really look quite kitsch - they remind me of the heavily narrative illustrations in the 1930s childrens' books I inherited and pored over as a child in the late '50s and early '60s. Still, I'm impressed that he wore such lovely, elaborately embroidered dressing gowns to do them in.

Oooo. Gonna need a curator's tour of that one.

Back