News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Matt, it doesn't, but the thinking is that it terminates at Finch West subway station.

This is disgusting. I'm going to have a fit. Truncated AND delayed lines? What the hell, man?

Thus article in the star just confirms what I have been saying and thinking. Nothing will get built. The timelines are moving and we will just get the Spadina extension to Vaughan. Sheppard line may get built but it may not after the election of a new mayor and probably a new premier in 2011. Toronto in 2020 will have more of a joke of a transportation system than we have today. It is really just sad.

Absolutely pathetic.

And to think that fighting for more subways everywhere in Toronto is gonna happen eventually as an alternative to this. Hahahahaha

Ontario politics at it's finest.

Since it's always cut, cut, cut, what's the point of even having these great transit visions in the first place? Are we waiting for all our transit infrastructure to collapse first?

and this is suppose to be better...than subways???

Keele to Humber??????????????Are you kidding me???????

This kind of lousy manipulation of grand transit expansion schemes is why we should just build our subway network gradually and continuously with a dedicated funding source from the province.

I honestly don't get the huge deal about the section between Finch West station and Finch. The vast majority of people are going to be riding it to the subway anyway, and that mid section would require the most property acquisition. The Eglinton cut back to Jane puzzles me a bit since the western portion would be the cheapest part to build (at least if they used the Eglinton Transportation Corridor), but there aren't many people out there so I guess that's the argument. Is the Sheppard carhouse at Conlins? Otherwise it seems kind of random to cut it back that one stop. Morningside would be a more logical terminus. The delays are clearly because a TTC that took five years to build St. Clair obviously can't build Sheppard in three. Transit City was drawn on the back of a napkin. Obviously it's going to get tweaked a bit. If they had actually cut a line like Eglinton or Finch, then I would be pissed.

Before we get too, too hysterical, this is still by far the biggest transit investment in decades. If we were told we could have all of these lines five years ago, all of us would have been ecstatic. Just the Eglinton line is pretty amazing to me. That's a 14 stop subway!

Why can't you understand that this will NEVER happen?

Why? Don't you think that's what people would have said five years ago about the province swooping down and building three huge light rail lines across the city?

Last edited:
Wow. Okay. Just to make this perfectly clear: a Lawrence East station would remain, though it wouldn't necessarily be in the exact same place as the existing RT station. Lawrence would still be served.
How could you possibly build a subway and keep the Lawrence East station. Surely you are wrong and it would have to be much further east, near Brimley, or more likely McCowan - 2 km from Lawrence East station.

Before we get too, too hysterical, this is still by far the biggest transit investment in decades. If we were told we could have all of these lines five years ago, all of us would have been ecstatic. Just the Eglinton line is pretty amazing to me. That's a 14 stop subway!

I won't shut up with this until I get an answer.

If you bother to dig for 13-14 km, why not make it a metro from the start? Why?

So tell me, when this monkey is no longer mayor...
...is there a chance that they will extend the Sheppard subway right away? Just a little bit?

How could you possibly build a subway and keep the Lawrence East station. Surely you are wrong and it would have to be much further east, near Brimley, or more likely McCowan - 2 km from Lawrence East station.

Oh my god. Please tell me that you are being deliberately obtuse. As you quoted, I said A Lawrence East station and that Lawrence would still be served. It would not be in the same place as the existing Lawrence East station but that doesn't matter because almost everybody transfers from the bus anyway.

Why don't we post the actual article since it's pretty germane to our discussions. From the looks of it here, a lot of the cuts are because the TTC was already $2 billion over budget before the cuts. The delay in Eglinton construction is coming from the City and not the Province.

It seems pretty obvious right now that the TTC isn't remotely capable of managing a project of this magnitude. Even with all the money in the world, they couldn't build it in the timeline that they're planning. Either they bring in somebody else to build these projects (i.e. whoever's building Madrid's subways) or they slow down Transit City.

Laz, you make a good point...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Transit City slower, shorter

Metrolinx says city agreed to reduce length and stops on four lines even before province delayed $4 billion

Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter
A revised Metrolinx plan shows Toronto's four provincially funded Transit City lines have been cut by 22.5 kilometres and about 25 stops since they were first announced.

Metrolinx CEO Rob Prichard says the city and TTC agreed to reduce the scope of the projects when the TTC's detailed estimates made it clear the plan would cost about $2 billion more than the $8.15 billion the province agreed to provide for Transit City — before the March provincial budget deferred $4 billion from its first five years of funding.

Construction has been delayed from two to five years on the Scarborough RT, Finch and Eglinton lines and they would not be completed until 2020, said Prichard, although a copy of the plan sent to the premier from the mayor says Eglinton won't be complete until 2022.

“We worked on the phasing with the city and the TTC throughout the fall and reached a consensus by the end of February,†Prichard said.

“These are difficult choices because we would all like to complete all the projects and all their phases as quickly as possible. However the original budget of $8.15 billion is a firm limit that we and the city must work within.â€

But the mayor's spokesman, Stuart Green, said the city would never have agreed to the revised plan.

In his letter to Premier Dalton McGuinty, Mayor David Miller says the city's most vulnerable neighbourhoods will be affected by the delays and reductions.

“The first five years of cash flow proposed by Metrolinx is inadequate to ensure completion in the 10-year time frame,†says the letter. “This will result in partial lines, inadequate service, and will cost more overall due to significant additional cost to purchase buses and associated infrastructure to fill the gap created by the reduced plan.â€

Miller's letter asks the premier to reconsider a proposal that Toronto take on the financing of the first five years of Transit City, with the province repaying the money later. But Prichard has said that doesn't help reduce the provincial debt load.

Prichard said that as Metrolinx introduces its Investment Strategy in 2013, the lines can continue to be phased in. He said he's confident the city and agency will have a plan to put before its board on May 19.

2227917746c986f2f794e3145ff1.jpeg

This blows. 2022? Are they serious?? We need expanded transit like yesterday. Good thing transit is shaping up to be the major municipal election issue. Which candidate can build a crosstown subway and/or a downtown relief line with starting stations operating in the next 5 years? Bring on the debate.

so eglinton LRT is gonna end at jane street? WTF? no airport connection?

Back