News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
How did Transit City go from $6 billion for 120 KM to $8.15 billion for 53.5 KM?

Talk about lowballed estimates. TC cost nearly tripled within 3 years! Atlest it's not like St Clair where costs tripled during construction.

so eglinton LRT is gonna end at jane street? WTF? no airport connection?

Scarborough is definitely getting the better end of this deal. 3 lines for Scarborough, 1 for Etobicoke. Fair isn't it!!

Scarborough is definitely getting the better end of this deal. 3 lines for Scarborough, 1 for Etobicoke. Fair isn't it!!

as fair as being crippled! which is essentially what this line will be.

How did Transit City go from $6 billion for 120 KM to $8.15 billion for 53.5 KM?

Here's a hint:

c97621f2433da2cd62bcc0d29cf6.jpeg
mcguinty.jpg

"We lied."

Does a Finch West that goes from Keele to Humber College make any sense? Is that a misprint?

No.

A Finch/Finch Hydro Corridor Crosstown BRT Busway on the other hand...

I said this in the other thread, but it needs repeating:

The article isn't clear on the source of this info... The caption under it says "This graphic represents the city's view of the the Transit City plan"

The city's view? Does that mean it is something Miller intentionally leaked to stir up anger? What does it mean?

I don't think it reflects the reality of what's happening, but who knows?

I hope the Scarborough RT, soon to be LRT, doesn't stop at Sheppard but continues to Malvern Town Center. That area has many bus routes AND the residents use transit a lot already and I think they could use better service to their neighborhood. I hope Metrolinx reconsiders the Eglinton Crosstown line as well and have it serve Pearson Airport. That would help not only Toronto's tourist economy but our overall economy as well. Things do change though, hopefully the economy changes for the better and the province can find the funds...maybe from the feds?

Last edited:
2227917746c986f2f794e3145ff1.jpeg

This blows. 2022? Are they serious?? We need expanded transit like yesterday. Good thing transit is shaping up to be the major municipal election issue. Which candidate can build a crosstown subway and/or a downtown relief line with starting stations operating in the next 5 years? Bring on the debate.

None can. In fact, if they halt the current plans then they will automatically add 5 years to the timeline presented here.

The earliest date for a crosstown subway using Toronto Rocket cars is 2030. The EA, lobbying for funding, and a good chunk of engineering would need to be restarted.

Oh my god. Please tell me that you are being deliberately obtuse. As you quoted, I said A Lawrence East station and that Lawrence would still be served. It would not be in the same place as the existing Lawrence East station but that doesn't matter because almost everybody transfers from the bus anyway.
My whole point in this discussion was to note that there would be a negative benefit to the area immediately around the Lawrence East station. The response I got was that the station would still be there. Surely if the station is 2 km away, there would be a negative benefit in the area immediately around the current station. What am I missing here?

None can. In fact, if they halt the current plans then they will automatically add 5 years to the timeline presented here.

The earliest date for a crosstown subway using Toronto Rocket cars is 2030. The EA, lobbying for funding, and a good chunk of engineering would need to be restarted.
I wonder if it's possible to just go ahead with the shortened plans, and then restart the EA for extending the underground portion in 2030. I realize it a big lost opportunity, but given this is gonna take a dozen years anyway, I'd hate to see something delay it even further, especially there is allegedly some real money there to get thing started soon.

Also, to be quite honest, I think if above ground portion is in fact built, I suspect an extended underground portion will never happen. Or at least won't happen in my working lifetime.

BTW, if the Jane to Pearson component is deferred, I wonder if that means they are considering making it a separate line.

I said this in the other thread, but it needs repeating:

The article isn't clear on the source of this info... The caption under it says "This graphic represents the city's view of the the Transit City plan"

The city's view? Does that mean it is something Miller intentionally leaked to stir up anger? What does it mean?

I don't think it reflects the reality of what's happening, but who knows?

This is bothering me too. The article makes it sound like Metrolinx announced these cuts, but there's no specifics.

I'm wondering if the City released the above revised routes as an example of what a Metrolinx/Province shortened/cut TC would look like, in an effort to build support for their alternative financing plan:

Miller's letter asks the premier to reconsider a proposal that Toronto take on the financing of the first five years of Transit City, with the province repaying the money later. But Prichard has said that doesn't help reduce the provincial debt load.

Why is the Spadina HRT subway still being built up into Vaughan and cutting Transit City? Stop the Spadina at Steeles and use the funds for Transit City. It may not be all the funds needed, but it would complete more kilometres of track and stops than the two stations into Vaughan.

No Yonge extension into York Region until the Downtown Relief Line is started, as well. But not until we have the funds from the federal government for both.

Why is the Spadina HRT subway still being built up into Vaughan and cutting Transit City? Stop the Spadina at Steeles and use the funds for Transit City. It may not be all the funds needed, but it would complete more kilometres of track and stops than the two stations into Vaughan.

No Yonge extension into York Region until the Downtown Relief Line is started, as well. But not until we have the funds from the federal government for both.

There are massive developments (Langstaff Gateway, RHC, VMC, Yonge Street corridor) potentially worth billions depending on those subway extensions, not to mention the Growth Plan and the growth projections/Official Plans of those municipalities... not so much for the backlotted housing and employment lands on Sheppard East, where an LRT will be more of a nice upgrade to the bus than a redevelopment tool.

Last edited:
An ever longer tunnel on Eglinton

Sorry to be a PIA, but I gotta ask again...
...if one is gonna bother building such a long tunnel, why on earth is it not a metro from the start?

That deal is done. Vaughan would be pretty pissed if they lost their stations. They are paying for them, aren't they?

Back