News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
While Toronto is planning to convert the Scarborough Rapid Transit to light rail, Montréal is thinking about converting their rubber-wheeled Metro to steel-wheel.
I don't see anything in that article that suggests Montreal is considering converting to steel-wheel. All the bid documents for the new Metro vehicles specify rubber tires, and I've seen no indication from either STM or AMT that they are considering steel-wheel.

The steel-wheel seems entirely a fiction developed by a washed-up consultant - Glen Fisher - to extract money from Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co as their "agent".

I don't see anything in that article that suggests Montreal is considering converting to steel-wheel. All the bid documents for the new Metro vehicles specify rubber tires, and I've seen no indication from either STM or AMT that they are considering steel-wheel.

The steel-wheel seems entirely a fiction developed by a washed-up consultant - Glen Fisher - to extract money from Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co as their "agent".

You don't understand the basics of internet discussions......you are not supposed to read the links posted by others in advancement of their argument....you are just supposed to assume they are factual back up for the point they are trying to make. ;)

Monorails generally also are rubber tired. They would have the same problem with snow, unless heated (or covered) as well. Unless they are not used in the winter.

SAFEGE suspended monorails are covered and are designed to be used in areas of mixed climate.

[video=youtube;38qRWnH7InA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qRWnH7InA[/video]

You don't understand the basics of internet discussions......you are not supposed to read the links posted by others in advancement of their argument....you are just supposed to assume they are factual back up for the point they are trying to make. ;)

Ok....?

Everyone reads the link, especially if the argument sounds silly such as Montreal planning to convert to steel wheel.

Last edited:
montreal-metro.jpg

While Toronto is planning to convert the Scarborough Rapid Transit to light rail, Montréal is thinking about converting their rubber-wheeled Metro to steel-wheel. At the moment, the rubber wheeled trains must be covered to protect the tires from the snow. With steel wheels, they can expand their Metro in the open. See this link.

Monorails generally also are rubber tired. They would have the same problem with snow, unless heated (or covered) as well. Unless they are not used in the winter.

Even guided busways have to use heaters to melt the snow. Or have to be covered like the Montréal Metro.

Isn't the entire discussion about snow irrelevant considering that all of Montreal's Metro system is underground? Or is a section of the Laval extension above ground?

Isn't the entire discussion about snow irrelevant considering that all of Montreal's Metro system is underground? Or is a section of the Laval extension above ground?

I don't know if it's all underground but I do know that the trains are not exposed to the elements while in operation. I don't know why W. K. Lis said that Montreal is thinking of converting its Metro system to steel wheels when the article he provided a link to says that a Chinese train manufacturer is considering suing the STM over their rubber tire requirement. That's all there is to it: some frivolous lawsuit.

Last edited:
montreal-metro.jpg

While Toronto is planning to convert the Scarborough Rapid Transit to light rail, Montréal is thinking about converting their rubber-wheeled Metro to steel-wheel. At the moment, the rubber wheeled trains must be covered to protect the tires from the snow. With steel wheels, they can expand their Metro in the open. See this link.

Even guided busways have to use heaters to melt the snow. Or have to be covered like the Montréal Metro.

The reason the Montreal Metro is entirely underground is because the train cars are not weatherproof. It has nothing to do with the wheels.

The reason the Montreal Metro is entirely underground is because the train cars are not weatherproof. It has nothing to do with the wheels.

The higher friction and increased rolling resistance cause disadvantages (compared to steel wheel on steel rail):

* Higher energy consumption
* More heat is generated
* Weather variance. Losing the traction-advantage in inclement weather (snow and ice)
* Heavier; steel rails remain for switching purposes, to provide electricity to the trains and as a safety backup
* Tire replacement cost
* In-tunnel noise is higher than normal trains due to the roaring sound caused by the tires

To reduce weather disruption, the Montreal Metro runs 100% underground. Montreal also gets more snow than Toronto. Guided buses also have to be covered or have snow melting heaters to operate in the snow as well.

Back