News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I'd have thought that everyone here knew that Montreal used rubber-tyred vehicles; given how much Toronto's vehicles squeal, I'm not sure why you'd laugh. I've never seen a platform of people collectively put their hands over their ears in Montreal.

The only (sometimes painful) squeal in station platforms that I have experienced is caused by the brakes, not by the wheels. I wish they would do something about it.

I have usually found it difficult to have a conversation on the Montreal Metro due to the noise. They only spots in Toronto where I've had that problem is on the curves.

The reason the Montreal Metro is entirely underground is because the train cars are not weatherproof. It has nothing to do with the wheels.

Cause and effect? The trains are not weatherproof because the entire system is underground.

According to those with a better knowlege of the design and planning of the Montreal Metro than I, the rubber tires were first chosen (with their associated benefits and costs), which then dictated that the system could not run exposed to the elements due to the heavy snow and ice buildup that would occur. This, in turn, reduced the demands on the rolling stock allowing them to design a vehicle that didn't require weatherproofing.

What, because I use the standard North American spelling of tires? Give me a fucking break.
Yet you make fun of those using the standard English-language spelling of tyre?

And what's a fucking break? Is that something obscene you do in the washroom at the office at break time? How does it involve tyres? Does it involve a lot of rubber?

Because you obviously had no clue there is another spelling for "tire" Should have just kept your mouth shut in the first place.

After being busy for a few days and finally getting around to catching up on some threads, THIS is what I read? Really? Has the debate become so stale that the spelling of "tire" has become a hot-button issue? Hahaha. Oh jeez... I feel some "tire" vs "tyre" camps brewing, with each of them claiming that their view is superior, and that their spelling should be implemented everywhere, at the expense of the other group's stupid way to spell the word.

After being busy for a few days and finally getting around to catching up on some threads, THIS is what I read? Really? Has the debate become so stale that the spelling of "tire" has become a hot-button issue? Hahaha. Oh jeez... I feel some "tire" vs "tyre" camps brewing, with each of them claiming that their view is superior, and that their spelling should be implemented everywhere, at the expense of the other group's stupid way to spell the word.

And this is the exact reason why UT gets such a bad name out there!

yYou need to talk to CC about tyre vs. tire. He made a snide remark over my use of "tyre". The guy also tends to be a pompous ass towards me, and I usually do not stand for his sh*t. I personally could care less about how it is spelled, but CC seems to believe otherwise. You should talk to him about it.

Last edited:
yYou need to talk to CC about tyre vs. tire. He made a snide remark over my use of "tyre". The guy also tends to be a pompous ass towards me, and I usually do not stand for his sh*t. I personally could care less about how it is spelled, but CC seems to believe otherwise. You should talk to him about it.

I remain neutral in the "tire" vs "tyre" debate. And when it comes to debating transit issues, I support opinions and ideas, not people.

Although I will weigh in on the debate: who gives a sh*t how it's spelt?! It doesn't change the nature of the debate around TRANSIT at all. It's not as if a bus using rubber tires will run better than a bus using rubber tyres...

I remain neutral in the "tire" vs "tyre" debate. And when it comes to debating transit issues, I support opinions and ideas, not people.

Although I will weigh in on the debate: who gives a sh*t how it's spelt?! It doesn't change the nature of the debate around TRANSIT at all. It's not as if a bus using rubber tires will run better than a bus using rubber tyres...

Tyres? lol

CC seems to care how it is spelled. I do not even know why he even said something about it. That is the reason all this started in the first place.

Last edited:
Urban Toronto is the one of the snobbiest message boards I've ever been on, apart from Tribe.

You guys are like cliquey Tribers who shun people who have good ideas about transit and then ridicule them when they don't share your views!

Back