News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
They'll do what they can to the extend that it doesn't damage their support elsewhere.
They won't give Toronto whatever they want but will definately be more generous than in the past.

Winning Vaughan is like an army going through lines of enemy and reaching the gates of the enemy.
They reached the gates of Toronto and you can bet they won't pass on the opportunity to win the city...Espacially with one of their own ruling the city from within.
You don't get that kind of opportunity often

Did they satisfied themselves with Vancouver's suburbs? nope they went all out to take the city
and look at Quebec City who always voted Liberals or Bloc getting almost whatever they want since giving 10 seats to the conservative

Be real, though, the CPC would have lost Vaughan by a significant margin if not for their star candidate in Fantino. Unless they can dig up similar celebrity candidates to run in other ridings, they'll face a harder battle. (Maybe Don Cherry will run.)

I think they want the 905 more than the 416. There's way more potential there and it's an easier road to go down. Though I suppose they could make a serious run at Etobicoke and Scarborough seats - it's just that beyond the token Sheppard/Scarborough subway loop, there's not much potential for transit incentives.

I don't see them having a lot of success in Vancouver proper, by the way - and I think they've essentially written off Quebec with some of their anti-coalition rhetoric. Harper's got 21% approval ratings in that province.

How were they punished for refusing paying for the streetcars?
They weren't...Toronto didn't vote conservative at that time so they didn't care.

That is my point. Toronto is fair game to swear at and give peanuts to for federal conservatives. Crapping on Toronto increases votes in other provinces and has no impact on your vote in Toronto. Even federal Liberals get away with giving Toronto nothing. Federal governments know giving Toronto any large gift is a bad idea politically.

Be real, though, the CPC would have lost Vaughan by a significant margin if not for their star candidate in Fantino. Unless they can dig up similar celebrity candidates to run in other ridings, they'll face a harder battle. (Maybe Don Cherry will run.).

In politics, a win's a win... They will build on that win and establish a strategy to win more seats in the 905 and get into the 416.
It's logical and it's what any political strategist would do

I think they want the 905 more than the 416. There's way more potential there and it's an easier road to go down. Though I suppose they could make a serious run at Etobicoke and Scarborough seats - it's just that beyond the token Sheppard/Scarborough subway loop, there's not much potential for transit incentives.

Politics 101...They want it all.
The most seats, the better. Your power is stronger and you have more legitimicy in the decisions that you take.
They might think winning Toronto won't happen but you can bet they are looking at Scarborough, Etobicoke and North York very closely

I don't see them having a lot of success in Vancouver proper, by the way - and I think they've essentially written off Quebec with some of their anti-coalition rhetoric. Harper's got 21% approval ratings in that province.

They are still very strong in the Quebec area. It's no secret that the rest of the province are against the conservatives. Half of the province lives in Metropolitain Montreal

I think what someone else said is very true. The province has said they're not willing to spend any more than they are now. BUT they are open to discussions. I.e., they're amenable to changing the plan more to Ford's liking, assuming the costs are about the same.

Switching the SRT replacement from LRT to subway is the obvious candidate. You can probably get $600 million for that just from the city if need be.
You can extend Sheppard to STC by canning all the Eglinton line outside of the tunnel (or the eastern portion if that's enough), as well as cancelling the entire SELRT.

So in summary I think we'll get
1. A shortened, but subway, Eglinton line (say from Keele to Laird)
2. A Sheppard extension to STC
3. A Danforth extension to STC

And I'm fine with that.

The B and C branches combined are about the same length as the D branch, which is entirely grade separated. So I would say 1/3 of the total Green Line trackage is at-grade. Is it also coincidence that the B branch has the slowest speed on the entire T network, and has the highest amount of complaints about service quality? Heck, the MBTA even closed stops along the route because they were getting so many complaints and because it was so slow.
Don't forget the E, complete with its mixed traffic portion.
The B branch is the slowest not because it is at grade, per se, but because a) its stop spacing is 200 m and b) it has cross streets every 100 m and traffic lights at half of them (both of which are unlike the C or the ROW-part of the E, or for that matter any part of Transit City).
The point also isn't that similarity to the at-grade portion of the Green line justifies TC or not, but to refute your point that TC is unlike the Green line, which it isn't, by and large.

Finch West is pretty much dead.

But the TTC should add express service on Finch West and I still don't get why they never bother to do it.

as is: a sheppard subway extension, an SRT subway conversion, an eglinton subway...

As is the Sheppard LRT, Eglinton LRT... Oh joy.. At least subways can be examined for the future.

It's ok, I don't mind waiting.. I have my whole life ahead of me.

As is the Sheppard LRT, Eglinton LRT... Oh joy.. At least subways can be examined for the future.

It's ok, I don't mind waiting.. I have my whole life ahead of me.

You can use your lifetime to get smarter, then. Your ignorance borders on being offensive.

But hey, I'm outta here in less than a month, so you can go down with this sinking ship.

You can use your lifetime to get smarter, then. Your ignorance borders on being offensive.

But hey, I'm outta here in less than a month, so you can go down with this sinking ship.

I could say the same thing about you buddy, but that's probably why you're leaving... Can't get employed with your 'skills' (or lack thereof) in this city.

Only an absolute idiot would say that killing Transit City is the end of the world (or Toronto). I didn't see any of you get all up in arms when Miller decided to scrap the Sheppard subway extension which had its EA and engineering partially done in order to replace it by a streetcar.

Pinko Liberals like you (and most of this board) make me sick to my stomach.

I think what someone else said is very true. The province has said they're not willing to spend any more than they are now. BUT they are open to discussions. I.e., they're amenable to changing the plan more to Ford's liking, assuming the costs are about the same.

Switching the SRT replacement from LRT to subway is the obvious candidate. You can probably get $600 million for that just from the city if need be.
You can extend Sheppard to STC by canning all the Eglinton line outside of the tunnel (or the eastern portion if that's enough), as well as cancelling the entire SELRT.

So in summary I think we'll get
1. A shortened, but subway, Eglinton line (say from Keele to Laird)
2. A Sheppard extension to STC
3. A Danforth extension to STC

And I'm fine with that.

Hate to break it to you CC, but canning the surface portion of Eglinton (in the east) is only going to get you about $450 million, or enough for 1.5km of subway. Given that the Sheppard subway from Don Mills to STC is going to be around $2.45 billion, that still leaves a funding gap of just over $1 billion ($990 million for SELRT, $450 million from Eglinton). In short, it's either Eglinton, or Sheppard, but not both, at least not with the current crop of funding anyway.

I say leave the tunnel on Eglinton alone, can the surface portion, use that money for the subway extension to STC, downgrade the SELRT to a BRT, and run multiple routes along the corridor (as I described earlier). It's probably the most tinkering you can do without requiring a complete redraw. It minimizes timeline disruption, keeps funding relatively in the same places, and most importantly, it keeps options for future expansion alternatives open (re-evaluating Eglinton east and west, leaves the door open for a Sheppard subway extension, etc).

Nice, a stubborn tantrum is a good solution. And the baby goes out with the bath water.

If anyone has shown how stubborn they are it would have to be Miller. Refusing to even entertain the ideas of subways, brushing them off and calling it impossible.

Ford is simply playing into semantics that allow him to remain popular. The city is angry because Miller has ignored the majority of it. Some of you mention "well TC is for the suburbs, how is he ignoring them?" Thing is, the suburbs don't want it.

Nice, a stubborn tantrum is a good solution. And the baby goes out with the bath water.

I spoke earlier that a compromise could have saved Transit City. Lots of anti TC would have been for it if they would have listened to suggestions and compromised.

SELRT
-800m stop spacing with a 85 bus for local stops
-True signal prority
-Route to STC

ECLRT
-Etobicoke don't want it in the street? Why not consider Richview corridor or elevated?
-Laird to Keele? Don Mills to Jane made more sense

You my friend belongs in the TC AS IS with no compromise camp...and this is why your side failed
My way or the highway attitude from Miller and Giambrone=REFUSING TO COMPROMISE

It's that attitude that killed TC

Last edited:

Back