News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, the anti-transit candidate was a solid bet.

Lots of compromises possible and still possible with the planned TC routes - the branch to the UofT Scarborough campus seemed very likely prior to recent events.

Did you attend a single community meeting regarding a TC line?

Lots of compromise still possible...Tell that to Metrolinx now that Miller is gone
They don't seem to want to compromise

The only clue we got from the Province is no additionnal fund...There lies the compromise...Choice will have to be made. Better than Miller's Transit City
Finch is pretty much dead...But I always felt they should have tried Express buses on Finch West before going to LRT (I was always for Finch by the way)

I went to SELRT meeting and the TTC attitude towards criticism made me sick...no exaggeration here

That doesn't mean you'll get a subway going into Scarborough anytime soon. With the current plan by the next election you'd have had a very significant improvement to transit into Scarborough. Now perhaps you'll have by 2014 you might have an unfunded plan - not dissimilar to the unfunded plan that has existed since the 1980s.

But this is indeed what Scarborough voted for ... so give it them. Nothing. It's what they deserve.

I can't wait until when the Fed's come knocking on Toronto's door to ask for their share of the payments they have already made for Sheppard East back. Yes there might be a grade separation, but the Feds didn't provide funding for a grade separation, or $10-millions of studies. They were funding a transit system.

With the Cons winning Vaughan and Ford winning Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised seeing the Feds sending gifts to Toronto at the next election
How do I know?

Up until the Hockey Arena that Quebec City wanted, they had everything they wanted from the feds since they gave the Conservative 10 seats...
while Montreal don't exist on the Cons radar

Being elected and getting into power is the ultimate motivation for politicians.

Before Ford got elected, the province didn't want to change anything to TC...
Ford got elected
Liberals gets scared and now they will likely let Toronto do whatever it wont as long as the city absorbs the penalty fees

That's how politics works

With the Cons winning Vaughan and Ford winning Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised seeing the Feds sending gifts to Toronto.
How do I know?
Not sure what Vaughan has to do with Transit City ...

... and that seems to have been a bit of a disaster for the Conservatives. Huge massive campaign - mega-star popular candidate, and the Tories only managed to erode the Liberal popular vote in that riding by a measly 2.5%.

With a 70-year old retiree in place, it really doesn't give them much long-term stability in that riding, or much indication they are going to do better in nearby ridings. Might have won the battle, but certainly not the war.

As for Ford ... we'll see ... if the Feds start playing favourite at this stage, then every other city wants money too. Why throw money at Toronto, where the Conservatives are unlikely to win a seat, when it may hurt them in Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa, where they can win seats. Why not instead throw the money at 905 ridings, funding transit systems there instead - like they did recently with the LRT in Kitchener.

Not sure what Vaughan has to do with Transit City ...

... and that seems to have been a bit of a disaster for the Conservatives. Huge massive campaign - mega-star popular candidate, and the Tories only managed to erode the Liberal popular vote in that riding by a measly 2.5%.

With a 70-year old retiree in place, it really doesn't give them much long-term stability in that riding, or much indication they are going to do better in nearby ridings. Might have won the battle, but certainly not the war.

As for Ford ... we'll see ... if the Feds start playing favourite at this stage, then every other city wants money too. Why throw money at Toronto, where the Conservatives are unlikely to win a seat, when it may hurt them in Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa, where they can win seats. Why not instead throw the money at 905 ridings, funding transit systems there instead - like they did recently with the LRT in Kitchener.

you don't understand politics...

If you think the Federal Tories are going to jump at the opportunity to pass funding to Toronto without funding other new projects across the country, then you don't understand how Toronto is viewed by the Rest of Canada.

The Tories will earn more votes outside of Toronto by telling Toronto and Ford to refund the money, than they will in Toronto by funding a White Elephant.

If you think the Federal Tories are going to jump at the opportunity to pass funding to Toronto without funding other new projects across the country, then you don't understand how Toronto is viewed by the Rest of Canada.

The Tories will earn more votes outside of Toronto by telling Toronto and Ford to refund the money, than they will in Toronto by funding a White Elephant.

How many seats have they lost due to partially funding SELRT?
again, you don't understand politics

The Tories are likely to target the 905 seats they don't have (Bramalea, the Brampton seats, Markham, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, etc.) though maaaybe I can see them trying to get some funds toward the Scarborough subway stuff in hopes of picking up seats there. Lots of opportunity.

Still, though, I think the optics of announcing significant capital spending at the federal level in the face of huge deficits aren't good, especially from a 'fiscally conservative' government.

The Tories are likely to target the 905 seats they don't have (Bramalea, the Brampton seats, Markham, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, etc.) though maaaybe I can see them trying to get some funds toward the Scarborough subway stuff in hopes of picking up seats there. Lots of opportunity.

Still, though, I think the optics of announcing significant capital spending at the federal level in the face of huge deficits aren't good, especially from a 'fiscally conservative' government.

They'll do what they can to the extend that it doesn't damage their support elsewhere.
They won't give Toronto whatever they want but will definately be more generous than in the past.

Winning Vaughan is like an army going through lines of enemy and reaching the gates of the enemy.
They reached the gates of Toronto and you can bet they won't pass on the opportunity to win the city...Espacially with one of their own ruling the city from within.
You don't get that kind of opportunity often

Did they satisfied themselves with Vancouver's suburbs? nope they went all out to take the city
and look at Quebec City who always voted Liberals or Bloc getting almost whatever they want since giving 10 seats to the conservative
The conservative are not satified at just winning Quebec City, they went all out to keep the city, going as far as saying no to Edmonton Expo first to avoid offending Quebec City when they'll be denied the new arena...

That's how politics works

Last edited:
Shoot. This is bad news. In four years we will have jack all. All the EA and engineering work which has done will need to be thrown out. The Spadina York subway had EA started in 2005, completed 2006, funded early 2007, and at the end of 2010 is still having station open houses after finally signing the first big construction contract a week ago. A similar project on Sheppard would need 6 months of EA at minimum and 3 years of engineering and open houses. Of course the province will have no problem with it... their funding will be pushed out into 2013 and the money they were going to spend in 2015 can probably be put off until 2018. We will get an Eglinton connection to the airport in 2025 which means less competition for Metrolinx Blue 22. Funding wise it works out great for the province. Maybe by then Hudak will come in and say he agrees with the subway approach but like McGuinty did with Transit City decide to slow it down a bit. Maybe a Victoria Park extension by 2020 that reminds us of the wonderful one station Downsview extension that satisfied us for a decade.

How many seats have they lost due to partially funding SELRT?
again, you don't understand politics

They funded the cheapest of all the Transit City projects at 33% around the same time they told Miller to take a hike and there was no way in hell they were funding new streetcars... and weren't punished for it you mean?

They funded the cheapest of all the Transit City projects at 33% around the same time they told Miller to take a hike and there was no way in hell they were funding new streetcars... and weren't punished for it you mean?

How were they punished for refusing paying for the streetcars?
They weren't...Toronto didn't vote conservative at that time so they didn't care.

Now they will because of Ford, Vaughan and the anti-MCGuinty and liberal feeling in the GTA

Back