News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I'm holding my breath that Mayor Ford announces the replacement of the SELRT with a subway to STC and the replacement of the SRT with a subway to STC tomorrow. Eglinton I'm fine with keeping as LRT or cutting it down to the tunnel and just building it as subway.

For the first time in a long time I think we have a mayor that gets transit.

I'm holding my breath that Mayor Ford announces the replacement of the SELRT with a subway to STC and the replacement of the SRT with a subway to STC tomorrow. Eglinton I'm fine with keeping as LRT or cutting it down to the tunnel and just building it as subway.

too bad he gets transit for the wrong reasons

long term....
not short term
The long term estimates are that demand is far below what can be done using LRT.

Remember that a 3-car LRT has the same capacity as a 4-car subway train. Frequency is the same.

Overbuilding capacity is a huge waste of resources, and fiscally irresponsible. There's a technical term for this.

It's called a White Elephant.

I'm holding my breath that Mayor Ford announces the replacement of the SELRT with a subway to STC and the replacement of the SRT with a subway to STC tomorrow.
I think it's clear that Ford isn't announcing new subways tomorrow.

The most he can do is request that TTC suspend further external spending until TTC considers the issue.

And you think that Ford gets Transit????

Perhaps you could point to which motion he has made to council that suggests he even remotely gets Transit.

This is the guy who wanted to cut evening bus services!!! (not overnight services, but evening services!).

Ford's only transit interest is that he does know that the roads can't handle rush-hour capacity. He has no interest in anything other than limited peak-hour services ... and 3-4 subway lines. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely deluded.

That 7/8 (2/3 if you include SRT and count only the 4 approved lines) would be comparable to the 1/2 of the Green line that isn't grade-separated.

The B and C branches combined are about the same length as the D branch, which is entirely grade separated. So I would say 1/3 of the total Green Line trackage is at-grade. Is it also coincidence that the B branch has the slowest speed on the entire T network, and has the highest amount of complaints about service quality? Heck, the MBTA even closed stops along the route because they were getting so many complaints and because it was so slow.

He does not have the unilaterally authority to do that, City Council would have to vote on it, never mind that the Province would need to agree to chip in.

The only thing Rod Ford gets about transit is getting it out of the way of cars.

The long term estimates are that demand is far below what can be done using LRT.

Remember that a 3-car LRT has the same capacity as a 4-car subway train. Frequency is the same.

Overbuilding capacity is a huge waste of resources, and fiscally irresponsible. There's a technical term for this.

It's called a White Elephant.

Nfitz...
If SELRT was Rapid Transit we wouldn't have that argument.
TTC Miller and his gang could have made it happened

-Stops every 800m
-TRUE signal priority like in Europe
-Going to STC instead of the zoo...

If all the above was there, I would be for it...
Miller was stubborned in his "Europeen vision" while people want to save time...Period
That's why you see such massive opposition to that project.

Even if you adjust the number of train to match HRT capacity and you have the same frequency, you'll NEVER get the same speed...SELRT's biggest flaw along not going to STC
People want to get from point A to Point B as fast as possible. Give them something that reminds them of St.Clair and they'll stay in their cars

Last edited:
Nfitz...
TTC Miller and his gang could have made it happened

-Stops every 800m
-TRUE signal priority like in Europe
-Going to STC instead of the zoo...

If all the above was there, I would be for it...
Miller was stubborned in his "Europeen vision" while people want to save time...Period
That's why you see such massive opposition to that project.

I disagree. Even if the SELRT did all those things right, I still would NOT have supported it because it's on a subway corridor. Do all those things on another corridor, say Finch or Eglinton, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Why don't you just argue for the elimination of planned stops, a branch to STC and a better signal priority system across the board instead of chasing far-off fantasies of subways all over the place?

SELRT IS rapid transit. This was demonstrated above where travel time is cut from 57 minutes to 31 minutes; compared 23 minutes with another form of Rapid Transit such as subway.

Why don't you just argue for the elimination of planned stops, a branch to STC and a better signal priority system across the board instead of chasing far-off fantasies of subways all over the place?

Because Miller didn't want to hear it or any compromise, same for Metrolinx.

I sided pro-subway and we made enough noise and we got heard.

I'd be happy with a branched BRT service along Sheppard East. 1 branch going from Don Mills (but preferably a new terminus at Vic Park) to Meadowvale. Another branch going from VP to STC via Sheppard and McCowan. A third going from Malvern to STC via Neilson, Sheppard, and McCowan. Considering the projected ridership is around 5000 pphpd, that's definitely within the range of BRT.

Because Miller didn't want to hear it or any compromise, same for Metrolinx.

Yeah, the anti-transit candidate was a solid bet.

Lots of compromises possible and still possible with the planned TC routes - the branch to the UofT Scarborough campus seemed very likely prior to recent events.

Did you attend a single community meeting regarding a TC line?

That doesn't mean you'll get a subway going into Scarborough anytime soon. With the current plan by the next election you'd have had a very significant improvement to transit into Scarborough. Now perhaps you'll have by 2014 you might have an unfunded plan - not dissimilar to the unfunded plan that has existed since the 1980s.

But this is indeed what Scarborough voted for ... so give it them. Nothing. It's what they deserve.

I can't wait until when the Fed's come knocking on Toronto's door to ask for their share of the payments they have already made for Sheppard East back. Yes there might be a grade separation, but the Feds didn't provide funding for a grade separation, or $10-millions of studies. They were funding a transit system.

Back