News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The study analyzed the option of converting the Sheppard line to LRT and it was rejected. How much clearer can it be?

That is incorrect. The study was tied to a do nothing scenario of having a Finch West LRT, having a Sheppard East LRT, and having an existing Sheppard subway to Don Mills and evaluated the ways to connect the Finch West LRT and the Sheppard East LRT. In no way did it do a cost comparison with replacing the Sheppard East LRT be switched to a subway versus switching the Sheppard subway to be part of a Sheppard East LRT. The numbers would come out completely different for those options.

You call a plan that kills Eglinton - the tunnelled central portion passing though what is arguably the second most important node in the city and to which YYZ and STC can be linked - reasonable?

AoD

I heard that because most of Eglinton is planned to be underground that Ford is more supportive of it.

Supportive enough to say that we don't have the money for it during the election? Sorry, unless proven otherwise that's my default take for now.

AoD

I heard that because most of Eglinton is planned to be underground that Ford is more supportive of it.

I think that's what the TTC manager said or implied...
He said that underground LRT would cost less than HRT since the stations would cost less.

I doubt Ford would cancel the underground section...we'll have to wait for 2011

Except that if there is one thing that one should be spending more on for a LRT based Eglinton - it is the stations, specially the capacity to have longer trains (from the initial 2 car/ultimate 3 to something a tad higher). That's the only way you'd get flexbility to approach HRT levels of capacity.

AoD

Except that if there is one thing that one should be spending more on for a LRT based Eglinton - it is the stations, specially the capacity to have longer trains (from the initial 2 car/ultimate 3 to something a tad higher). That's the only way you'd get flexbility to approach HRT levels of capacity.

AoD

That's why redirecting the billion from SELRT to the Eglinton project to make it go from Jane to Don Mills with longer plateforms makes more sense.

Lot of people here still wants the billion dollar spent on Sheppard which could have been used to bonify Eglinton...

Ford approch with choosing Sheppard over Eglinton is wrong but I hope that it's true that he's warming up to Eglinton because it's underground...
Funny part of this story is that it looks like he wasn't aware that the central part was underground...I wouldn't even be surprised if he had no clue to begin with...lol

The only way he can fund his subway promise on Sheppard would be to cancel some of the underground section on Eglinton.

...and get the city to redirect funds to his subway promise. The province might just take their ball and go home, using some excuse of "tough economic times" to give the city nothing.

...and get the city to redirect funds to his subway promise. The province might just take their ball and go home, using some excuse of "tough economic times" to give the city nothing.

Toronto got funding primarily by being quick out of the gate and a very strong spokesperson at the time for public transit. There have been dozens of EAs finished or in progress (major like Mississauga's LRT and minor like new Kitchener GO service) which are actively competing for funding today.

Metrolinx is expected to release a prioritization process which will order projects. So, when $1B funding comes up, they simply allocate in order by priority.

If Toronto Council wants to make major changes to the plan that they may be put through the ringer against other cities projects to show that they are the highest priority/best return. If I was about to face a "We don't want waste" election, this is exactly what I would do with any funding that suddenly returned.

I imagine Eglinton will continue as planned, more or less. SELRT will be cancelled for sure. Will the Sheppard line be extended in either or both directions? Possibly. They may just use the billion or so allocated for the SELRT to change the SRT to subway ($600 million) and add a station or two to the Sheppard line (Consumers and Victoria Park for $400 million? Plop in an extra hundred million or two from the City).

They may just use the billion or so allocated for the SELRT to change the SRT to subway ($600 million)
Metrolinx has scheduled the Sheppard East funding to be finished by 2015, however the SRT conversion and extension doesn't start until 2015. It would take until about 2014/2015 to begin construction. Metrolinx needs projects that can be done in the same timeframe as the existing funding.

VIVA is my best guess of where the SELRT funding will go.

Metrolinx needs projects that can be done in the same timeframe as the existing funding.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule that Metrolinx must spend a certain amount per year, however with a backlog of projects they are likely to allocate what they get when they get it. I don't think the priority would be VIVA. Metrolinx can get many GO Transit projects to construction phase pretty quickly and many of those would be of greater net benefit.

If the province was smart they would say they can only allocate Transit City money to subway projects for subway projects that can be completed in the next four years. They should express concern that money spent getting a subway project underway could simply be wasted if the next administration comes in and cancels the project. It has happened before so why should the province trust that the city wouldn't throw money down the drain again? Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

If the province was smart they would say they can only allocate Transit City money to subway projects for subway projects that can be completed in the next four years. They should express concern that money spent getting a subway project underway could simply be wasted if the next administration comes in and cancels the project. It has happened before so why should the province trust that the city wouldn't throw money down the drain again? Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

I don't know if it's feasible to complete any subways in 4 years, as much as Ford would like it to be so.

And the SELRT money could go toward the Hurontario LRT (I know y'all will jump on this as being my hidden Mississaugan agenda for wanting to kill the SELRT).

Sometimes I wish we were more like China and could just put shovels in the ground. When will the Spadina line be done with it's TBMs? When are Eglinton's TBMs arriving? Just grab a TBM from one of those fleets and start tunneling to STC from Kennedy!

Back