News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"Aspiration of Official Plan": if I see anything even resembling that in my lifetime, I'll eat all six of my hats. Unless, of course, the subway is completed.

"Aspiration of Official Plan": if I see anything even resembling that in my lifetime, I'll eat all six of my hats. Unless, of course, the subway is completed.

Warden & Highway 7, Warden & Enterprise (Markham Centre) are turning into exactly those renderings right now on the strength of an official plan. Condos with ground-level retail, both midrise and highrise, are popping up. The area is unrecognizable from what it was 5 years ago. This is happening around Viva, a St. Clair-style BRT, even before the median is built.

There is no reason why the same cannot happen along Sheppard. Current property owners might object, but as long as there's zoning backing up the official plan, it will happen.

Transit City will be an unmitigated disaster !

Do they really believe that the LRT Signalling systems will be working in Winter ?

If this City cannot afford to complete a Sheppard Subway from Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre/Kennedy Subway Station & thinks building a Toy Train Set, that's signalling systems will be prone to the ravages of winter then save money & build a Bus Rapid Transit Way along Sheppard & all the other proposed Transit City routes & model this Bus Rapid Transit Way after Viva !

Last edited:
Transit City and Viva have exactly the same design -- transit operating in a median at the centre of a street that stops at red lights. The requirement for lights at intersections is exactly the same. What sort of signalling issues do you foresee?

Transit City and Viva have exactly the same design -- transit operating in a median at the centre of a street that stops at red lights. The requirement for lights at intersections is exactly the same. What sort of signalling issues do you foresee?

Viva at present is a Bus Rapid Transit System & not located in the Centre Median. Future plans for Viva are to go to a LRT System much like that proposed in Transit City.

What sort of signalling issues do I forsee well just about the same problems that have bedeviled all the TTC outside Subway lines for decades during Winter (freezing) : http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...tle_buses_100109/20100109/?hub=TorontoNewHome .

You sound more like a senile old fart.

You are not getting your facts straight.

Viva in it's current incarnation is not BRT. It's a nice bus in mixed traffic. Viva is building busways in the median of street, like Transit City. That is Phase 2. Phase 3 will be LRT, which Viva proudly states will be even faster than BRT!

And what makes you think the LRT lines will use the same signalling system as the subway?

You sound more like a senile old fart.

You are not getting your facts straight.

Viva in it's current incarnation is not BRT. It's a nice bus in mixed traffic. Viva is building busways in the median of street, like Transit City. That is Phase 2. Phase 3 will be LRT, which Viva proudly states will be even faster than BRT!

And what makes you think the LRT lines will use the same signalling system as the subway?

Thanks for the insult Justin !

Okay okay fine currently Viva is a bus in mixed traffic with the added bonus of jump-off lanes. Phase 2 will be a dedicated BRT.

All I am saying is that if this City cannot expand the Sheppard Subway, build an Eglinton Subway & a Downtown relief Line then save the $$$$ that will be spent on Transit City & build BRT which I assure you in this Northern Climate will be more reliable than LRT.

Not sure if the TTC will be using the same Signalling technology as the Subways but I haven't seen a Signalling system yet created that can reliably stand all the rigours of a Northern Climate in winter replete with extremes of weather temperatures & conditions with the added bonus of road salt usage !

Viva at present is a Bus Rapid Transit System & not located in the Centre Median.

Viva is a pre-BRT right now. Construction of centre medians for buses started November 2009 along Davis Drive (branch of Yonge corridor) in Newmarket and along Enterprise Drive (Highway 7 corridor) in Markham. This will turn the system into a full BRT with St. Clair-style far-side stops at red lights.

Here's a couple pictures of what's being built:
w7C9Z.jpg
d0puH.jpg

You can find reports, maps, and staging information on the VivaNext website.

Future plans for Viva are to go to a LRT System much like that proposed in Transit City.

I'll believe it when I see it. They are making a lot of investment into bus infrastructure and conversions can be painful. I'd expect them to try to tough it out with bigger and bigger buses until they can justify building a subway 20-30 years down the road.

What sort of signalling issues do I forsee well just about the same problems that have bedeviled all the TTC outside Subway lines for decades during Winter (freezing)

To my knowledge, Spadina Streetcar has never frozen. In fact, the streetcars tend to plow away the snow themselves without requiring outside intervention. Since the signalling for Transit City will resemble Spadina (but with better stop spacing and fewer pesky intersections) more than the subway, I would expect Transit City to also never freeze.

Traffic lights rarely freeze in winter.

Not sure if the TTC will be using the same Signalling technology as the Subways but I haven't seen a Signalling system yet created that can reliably stand all the rigours of a Northern Climate in winter

Transit City is using standard traffic lights for signalling. We aren't talking freight trains here. In rail terms, Transit City will be unsignalled.

To my knowledge, Spadina Streetcar has never frozen. In fact, the streetcars tend to plow away the snow themselves without requiring outside intervention. Since the signalling for Transit City will resemble Spadina (but with better stop spacing and fewer pesky intersections) more than the subway, I would expect Transit City to also never freeze.

Traffic lights rarely freeze in winter.

Well here's to hoping on the Signal System.

Transit City will be an unmitigated disaster !

Do they really believe that the LRT Signalling systems will be working in Winter ?

If this City cannot afford to complete a Sheppard Subway from Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre/Kennedy Subway Station & thinks building a Toy Train Set, that's signalling systems will be prone to the ravages of winter then save money & build a Bus Rapid Transit Way along Sheppard & all the other proposed Transit City routes & model this Bus Rapid Transit Way after Viva !

What on earth are you talking about? Signalling systems work exactly like the traffic lights we have on every street, which work pretty damn well through the winter.

LRT works fine in even colder places like Calgary, Sweden, Russia, Minneapolis, and so on. How does cranky old fart explain that?

I haven't seen a Signalling system yet created that can reliably stand all the rigours of a Northern Climate in winter replete with extremes of weather temperatures & conditions with the added bonus of road salt usage

Cranky,
Railroads all over the world make signals work, have a look.

Where are my manners?

Welcome to the forum, Cranky Old Fart. I hope you find your time here educational. Tell your friends :)

What on earth are you talking about? Signalling systems work exactly like the traffic lights we have on every street, which work pretty damn well through the winter.

LRT works fine in even colder places like Calgary, Sweden, Russia, Minneapolis, and so on. How does cranky old fart explain that?

All those that you've listed do not use Road Salt. The dust kicked-up from the crushed Road Salt gets into the inner workings of all sorts of things such as Signalling equipment & Electrical Transformers. Road Salt mixed with dampness is a menace.

Scarborough RT, all uncovered portions of the Subway how do you explain that ?

Back