News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Sorry, I didn't read the previous post carefully... Well, I am sure that a good subway system would place us higher on that scale. And this criterion of quality of life might miss on elements of vibrancy and excitement. For example, Helsinki and Vienna did not impress me much (unlike London or Moscow).

In any case, claiming that Sheppard subway will make us into the next Paris is silly. None of the Paris metro lines resemble Sheppard in any way. In all likeliness, Paris would have built Sheppard in the style of theiir Tramways.

and a lot of people do want to go downtown, judging by the congestion on the southern portion of the Yonge line. We might as well give them an alternative, which would increase ridership by reducing crowding and bringing more subway stations closer to people. By doing so, we would be providing a real alternative to the car.

Well, the ones near downtown use mass transit quite a bit already. Of course we need the DRL, but, the thing is that this would probably mainly attract people who are already users. Extending Sheppard compared to the DRL would have a higher potential in getting new mass transit users, I would think? More people drive up at Sheppard... that share will go down more than that share would go down closer to downtown.

That said, I still think that LRT is the way to go for Sheppard, just not the way the TTC is doing it.

I think that the whole sheppard subway vs sheppard lrt becomes an issue of comparing apples and oranges. The subway would at the furthest go to kennedy along sheppard... while the LRT goes weee.... almost out of scarborough. lol, well ,not that far, but still, it's going so far.

Life in Moscow is better than in Toronto? Really??

I never said that. I never said this place is better or worse than another place. But, their metro system sure the hell helps make that place a lot more livable than if they followed a TTC type plan.

In any case, claiming that Sheppard subway will make us into the next Paris is silly. None of the Paris metro lines resemble Sheppard in any way. In all likeliness, Paris would have built Sheppard in the style of theiir Tramways.

Lets rephrase this.

In any case, claiming that Sheppard subway will make us the next Paris is silly, because it is simply a drop in the bucket of what we need. In fact if Toronto was like Paris we might not even see these things called Richmond Hill or Vaughan, or if we would they would be minuscule. Suburbanization in Europe did not happen nearly as much as it did in north america. In all likeliness, Paris has built a humongous system that they invested their heart and sole into. We alas value the automobile more. Vroom vroom!!, heyhey!, lets imitate the USA!

I think it'd be awesome if we totally embraced a transportation model that marginalized the automobile and suburban growth patterns in favour of diversification and extensive metro systems, but I recognize that that is unlikely to happen overnight and have decided not to argue against incremental transit development just because it doesn't fit some utopian ideal.

Lets rephrase this.

In any case, claiming that Sheppard subway will make us the next Paris is silly, because it is simply a drop in the bucket of what we need. In fact if Toronto was like Paris we might not even see these things called Richmond Hill or Vaughan, or if we would they would be minuscule. Suburbanization in Europe did not happen nearly as much as it did in north america. In all likeliness, Paris has built a humongous system that they invested their heart and sole into. We alas value the automobile more. Vroom vroom!!, heyhey!, lets imitate the USA!

So building Paris-style Tramways is imitating USA? You suck at paraphrasing.

Transit City isn't quite Paris-style tramways. There's some big differences between what's going on there and what's going on here. Especially when you take context into account (like Paris' huge HRT networks to start with).

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...ratepayers-concerned-about-plans-for-lrt-yard

Rougeville ratepayers concerned about plans for LRT yard

Facility would border future school sites for community

The Sheppard East Light-Rail Transit line will have a storage and maintenance yard near its eastern terminus where 300 people will work.

From this yard, on Sheppard Avenue east of Morningside Avenue and north of Conlins Road, 100 light-rail vehicles - and perhaps 40 more if a Scarborough-Malvern line is ever built - will roll out daily between 4:35 and 7 a.m.

It will have a car house with service bays, a maintenance-of-way building and an electrical substation, visitors to the first open house on the project learned this week.

The large wedge of land is near the Toronto Zoo and just south of two sensitive areas in the Rouge Park.

As part of an environmental assessment, a project team, including a zoologist hired to understand possible effects on zoo animals, will estimate noise and vibrations from the yard at the zoo, homes at Gennela Square and Upper Rouge Trail and at a nursing home to the south.

So far, only background noise levels have been measured, but TTC project manager John Cursio said acoustic walls and trees will reduce sound from the yard.

The expandable car house building will have a green roof.

"It should be a really nice-looking building," Cursio said Wednesday, Feb. 10, at the Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto, adding storm water will be collected in a pond before reaching an intermittent stream which flows through the property to Morningside Creek.

The long-vacant property was used to store waste asphalt, some of which remains, but contamination does not appear to have sunk below the topsoil, which will be removed, said Karl van Kessel, senior environmental planner for project consultants Aecom.

The yard would be completed by 2013 and is beside future school sites for the Rougeville community of 1,300 homes to the east.

Local ratepayer president Shamoon Poonawala said he's concerned about possible pollution and noise.

"The facility itself is not going to do any good for the community," he added.

"I don't know if that's a very wise thing to do, to locate it beside a school and a park."

Scarborough-Rouge River Councillor Raymond Cho said he questioned TTC officials about the project and doesn't have concerns about it so far.

But Cho, chairperson of the zoo board, added he will continue campaigning to extend the Sheppard East line north from its Meadowvale Road terminus to the zoo, saying if everyone who visits signs a petition, the provincial transit agency Metrolinx will have to listen.

More about the light-rail yard is available at www.toronto.ca/sheppardlrv

See, this is what happens when big government imposes something on unsuspecting constituents whom obviously do not want it. A population of 1300 residential homes needs a tramway now, wtf?

let me get this right-waste asphalt is not a concern but an electric streetcar yard is no benefit to your community?what planet are you living in?

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...ratepayers-concerned-about-plans-for-lrt-yard

Rougeville ratepayers concerned about plans for LRT yard

Facility would border future school sites for community

Local ratepayer president Shamoon Poonawala said he's concerned about possible pollution and noise.

"The facility itself is not going to do any good for the community," he added.

I have lived near the Roncesvalles carhouse, been to St. Joseph's Health Centre across the street to it since i have grown up. Visited the Copernicus Lodge senior care right next door to it. What pollution? What noise?

I want cheap reliable electricity... but nobody better build a power plant near my house!!
LOL ... I had some of my neighbours running around trying to get me to sign a petition against the new gas generator in the Portlands ... told them I just didn't see it as a huge issue, but to come back if someone wanted to build an incinerator to burn garbage.

People are really funny about what they'll worry about.

LOL ... I had some of my neighbours running around trying to get me to sign a petition against the new gas generator in the Portlands ... told them I just didn't see it as a huge issue, but to come back if someone wanted to build an incinerator to burn garbage.

People are really funny about what they'll worry about.

In Europe, where they have been more concerned about pollution and the environment than Canada, they use incinerators to generate electricity. There are just some people who are looking for any little problem or concern (imagined or real) to stop the LRT. And what school will be open between 4:35 a.m. and 7 a.m.

Last edited:

Back