News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Heres a line that would never get built unless the Yonge line reached insane levels of overcrowding. Kind of stupid but I needed to kill a bit of time.
Runs southbound from Finch along Yonge, stopping only at Finch, Sheppard and Eglinton before curving slightly to the west where it continues south to Bay/Bloor station (as opposed to the congested Yonge/Bloor station). The route continues southbound on Bay stopping at NPS/Old City Hall, then continues on to Union. After Union, it would cease being an express line, curve to the west and continue along the rail corridor for 3 more stops. CN Tower/Skydome station, CityPlace Station, and Exhibition Station. The last 3 stops dont really help the main point of easing traffic on the yonge line, but they do solve a lot of transportation issues in the areas west of union station.

I've toyed with a similar line only that I link it up with the University line at St. George/Museum. The orphaned Spadina leg of the University line then gets separated from the YUS and could possibly continue south to Dundas, then East to terminate at Dundas Square. This way the Spadina line would still serve the downtown core including the U of T campus and CBD without needing to transfer onto the YUS. The YUS line would then become a loop where alternating trains heading southbound at Davisville would continue south on Yonge or on University.

Ontario-Quebec High-Speed Rail
hrneif.jpg

(Feel free to check out the scalable Google Maps Version)

Red Lines are High-Speed, Black Lines are Regular Speed.

I hope that this kind of system is not too far out in the realm of fantasy.

I'm aware of the Niagara Escarpment act, but I'm also aware of the Greenbelt Act and the Oak Ridges Moraine Protection Act, neither of which seem to have stopped housing developments from being built on the Oak Ridges Moraine.
The only housing developments being built in the Oak Ridges Moraine are in designated settlement areas or were applications submitted before the Moraine Act took effect.

My new official vision for Toronto transit:

LIST OF PROJECTS:

SUBWAYS

DRL

Yonge extension

Sheppard west subway

Subway to MCC

LRT

Eglinton Crosstown

Sheppard East LRT

Finch West LRT

Jane LRT

SRT extension & replacement

Hurontario LRT

STREETCARS

Bay Streetcar

Lakeshore extension to Port Credit

St. Clair extension

Waterfront East Streetcar

Portlands Streetcar

King street ROW

overlook.jpg

DRL

The DRL (To be renamed the Queen line) would be constructed in 5 phases, in quick succession. The Queen line is the centrepiece of this entire vision.

phase one would be the Downtown east section, running from spadina to Bloor. Phase two would be the Eglinton East section running from Bloor+Pape to Eglinton+Don Mills. phase 3 would be the Downtown West section, running from spadina to Bloor and Dundas. Phase 4 would be the Sheppard section, Running from Eglinton to Sheppard. Finally, phase 5 would Run from Bloor and Dundas to Jane and Eglinton.

The Queen streetcar line directly above the subway would be shut down, and all service currently using it would be directed to the new King street ROW.

COST: $13 billion dollars
LENGTH: 30km

YONGE EXTENSION

The yonge extension would be built as planned to Richmond Hill Centre.

COST: $3.2 billion dollars
LENGTH: 7km

SHEPPARD WEST SUBWAY

The Sheppard west subway would be built to Downsview station. it would actually only contain 3.5km of new tunnels as 800m of the extension is already built.

COST: $1.2 billion dollars
LENGTH: 3.4km (4.2km total travel distance)

SUBWAY TO MCC

The Extension of the Bloor Line to MCC would provide a vital subway link the the largest suburban city centre. The extension would be built in 2 phases, with phase one being to Sherway Gardens, and phase two being built to Mississauga city centre.

COST: $3.8 billion dollars
LENGTH: 11.8km

EGLINTON CROSSTOWN

The Crosstown would be built as planned with an extension to the airport with one exception. The aboveground portion of the line between Don Mills and Laird would be grade separated in some form, to allow seamless access to the new Queen line.

COST: $7.8 billion dollars
LENGTH: 30km

donmills.jpg

SHEPPARD EAST LRT

The SELRT would be built as planned, but with the extension to malvern past Sheppard being elevated.

COST: $1.8 billion dollars
LENGTH: 14.5km

FINCH WEST LRT

To be built as planned.

COST: $1.2 billion dollars
LENGTH: 10km

JANE LRT

Would be built aboveground From Steeles west Subway station to just below the 400, where it would travel to Eglinton underground. Passengers wishing to travel further south would transfer to the Queen line.

COST: $1.8 billion dollars
LENGTH: 10.7km

jane.jpg

SRT EXTENSION AND REPLACEMENT

To be constructed as planned with the extension to Malvern Town Centre.

COST: $2.5 billion dollars
LENGTH: 11.6km

HURONTARIO LRT

To be constructed as planned.

COST: $2.2 billion dollars
LENGTH: 23km

BAY STREETCAR

This "new" line (really replacing a line that was ripped up 50 years ago) would run from a reconfigured union station stop underground to Queen street, with a single stop on king + Bay. from Queen it would emerge from a portal to travel up bay to Dupont station, without a ROW.

COST: $380 million dollars
LENGTH: 4.8km

LAKESHORE EXTENSION TO PORT CREDIT

A simple extension to Port Credit, With a ROW where one is feasible.

COST: $300 million dollars
LENGTH: 6km

ST. CLAIR EXTENSION

An Extension of the St. Clair line to The new Queen subway line at Jane street. will feature a ROW.

COST: $80 million dollars
LENGTH: 1.7km

WATERFRONT EAST STREETCAR

To be built as planned.

COST: $270 million dollars
LENGTH: 2.6km

PORTLANDS STREETCAR

To run up cherry and turn on to Unwin ave. for a short distance, ending at the Hearn Generating plant to serve some sort of new major attraction built inside of it. Will feature a ROW.

COST: $125 million dollars
LENGTH: 2.5km

KING STREET ROW

The King street Streetcar would be rebuilt in a ROW from King + Queen to Queen + King + Roncesvalles. Car lanes would be reduced to a single lane in each direction, and all Streetcar lines that once served on Queen would travel on this ROW.

COST: $400 million dollars
LENGTH: 7.9km (no new revenue service, therefor will not be included in final "new services length" tally)

FINAL TALLYS

New Revenue Service Length

SUBWAY: 53km

LRT: 93.5km

STREETCAR: 17.6km

TOTAL: 164.1km

COST

TOTAL: 40.775 billion dollars

SUBTRACTING ALREADY FUNDED AMOUNTS: 32.275 billion dollars

Last edited:
Wish I had a set of 1:50,000 maps at hand. Should be able to measure the radius of each curve with a compass.

I realize that this is a rather late response; however, if you are looking for topo maps, they are freely available through Toporama from Natural Resources Canada.

Last edited:
@ insertnamehere:

Very good map. Although I do think that it has one fatal flaw: It's purely local transit. The future of transit in Toronto depends on a mixture of GO and TTC, not just TTC. Corridors like the Lakeshore, Brampton, and Markham rail corridors will be just as important to transit in Toronto as any extension of the YUS or B-D subways, or any new subway line built.

they are certianly important, but I unfortunately have not looked into the costs and backgrounds of projects like that, and I was a bit lazy and just wanted to show local TTC transit improvements. (I do have the GO lines outlined in thin black lines on my map though)

they are certianly important, but I unfortunately have not looked into the costs and backgrounds of projects like that, and I was a bit lazy and just wanted to show local TTC transit improvements. (I do have the GO lines outlined in thin black lines on my map though)

Very true. And yes, your breakdowns are greatly appreciated. And it's true that GO lines are much harder to cost out, because of the varying "state" of each line, and how many upgrades they need in order to be REX-ready.

Here is my ultimate TTC fantasy map. Unrealistically, it is all subways. Due to the constraints of Microsoft Paint, I was unable to label each station, but I attempted to label all transfer stations, and most new stations on new routes or extensions. I attempted to keep the map as geographically accurate as possible, however I was quite limited in that regard with the map that I used. Not entirely certain of the price tag, but I would guess it would easily surpass the $100 billion mark. All comments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcome.

7931509590_84a950995b_b.jpg

1) Yonge-University-Spadina Line:

The extension into Vaughan would continue as follows, and the Yonge line would be extended into Richmond Hill as is currently in the planning stages. New stops would be added on the Yonge Line at Glen Echo and Glencairn.

2) Eglinton Crosstown:

The Eglinton Crosstown would travel from Pearson to Kennedy Station. From Kennedy, the Crosstown would connect at Eglinton GO, then travel north on Kingston Rd. and connect with Guildwood GO as well. From Guildwood, the route would follow Kingston to Morningside and north to Centennial/UTSC. The line would terminate at Sheppard, connecting with the Sheppard subway. Unfortunately, most of this description cannot be seen on the map provided.

3) Downtown Relief Line:

A new Union station would be built further south of the current Union on the YUS line. The line would travel underneath Front Street east of Union towards the Don Lands, then travel north along Pape in the east end until Eglinton. It would then travel north up Don Mills until Steeles. In the west end, the DRL would travel south of the railway tracks west of Union in downtown. The DRL would curve through Parkdale and align with the Dundas West hub. Going north, the line would meet Eglinton at Keele, then align westward at Jane. The line terminates at Jane-Finch on the map, but ideally it would link with the YUS line at Steeles. The limitations of the map prevented me from adding this in.

4) Queen Line:

The Queen Line would travel along Queen Street between Roncesvalle and Neville Park, replacing the 501-508 Queen Streetcar along this stretch. Past Windmerre, the line would travel west along the Queensway until reaching Sherway Gardens and connecting with the Bloor-Danforth line. From Sherway, the line would travel north along the East Mall/427, terminating at the Humber North Campus and connecting with the Sheppard/Finch line. This segment would connect with the Eglinton Crosstown at East Mall.

5) Sheppard-Finch Line:

The Sheppard line would extend eastwards into Scarborough, terminating at the Toronto Zoo. Going west, the line would head north at Jane-Finch, and continue westward along Finch until reaching the Humber North Campus.

6) Bloor-Danforth Line:

The Bloor line would be extended from Kipling to Sherway, and then into Mississauga towards MCC. As a native Mississaugan, MCC is perhaps one of the most underserved areas transit-wise in the GTA. Such an extension would greatly enhance the area. In the east end, the B-D line would replace the Scarborough RT and follow the short-lived alignment of "One City." Following McCowan north towards STC, the line would connect with the Sheppard line, and continue north into Markham, terminating at Markville mall.

Last edited:
There is always GIMP or Paint.NET to create fantasy maps. I personally use GIMP to make fantasy subway maps, since it is more robust.

Back