News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

GIMP and Paint.NET are raster editors. For making maps, I suggest a program that is vector-based, like Illustrator instead of Photoshop.

GIMP and Paint.NET are raster editors. For making maps, I suggest a program that is vector-based, like Illustrator instead of Photoshop.

I used to use Photoshop, but in the past year or so I've switched to using Ortelius. It's for Mac only I believe, but it's a great application for making maps. I can throw together some pretty decent looking maps in only a couple of hours.

After reading through some fantasy proposals, I thought I would put down some ideas on a subway making turns. The 2 things with turns are the radius and the fact that stations are not in turns. The first means that some property needs to be acquired as the turn cuts the corner. The second means that the station can not be located near the intersection where the turn is made. Here is a quick diagram.

Radius.jpg

Essentialy, for a 90 degree turn, the station will be at least 600m from the intersection and it will require 250m of expropriation at the corner. This clearly illustrates the benefits of staying straight whenever possible, or utilizing diagonal roads to make the curve much less than 90 degrees.

Attachments

• Radius.jpg
    Radius.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 416
ttc444.jpg
View attachment 9314So heres my plan...

1. Finch Crosstown LRT
2. Sheppard Crosstown LRT (convert the subway)
4. Keele LRT (Steeles to Eglinton )
5. Don Mills LRT (STeeles to Eglinton)
6. DRL (Keele/Eglinton to Union North (Wellington and Bay) to Don Mills/Eglinton.

My addition to Go would be to add GO stops on all lines that stop at Eglinton. It would reroute the Markham line so that there would be a stop at Leslie and Eglinton. I added a Go stop at lansdown and at liberty village..

Attachments

• ttc444.jpg
    ttc444.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I've been working on a fantasy map on and off for the past few weeks, and I've finally finished. Unfortunately since my map is huge (9000x5000px made in Illustrator), I've yet to find out how to post the whole thing on here to show all of its detail. So if anyone has any idea on how to do that, I'd really appreciate it :eek:

Anyways, here's a teaser so this post has at least something to show for it:

Thanks again!

EDIT:
Here is the map in its entirety, but I'm still trying to find out how to upload the full resolution (16749x8698) here for you guys :confused:
Map_zps88e45b3a.png

Last edited:
Very nice map from what I can see. If you save it as .pdf, the file size will much smaller, making it easier to share. That's what I did for mine.

Still haven't quite figured out the pdf uploading, but here is a link to the map hosted on dropbox:

EDIT: Since dropbox link flopped, I tried Imgur again and it turned out a lot better: http://i.imgur.com/nwSXQ.jpg
nwSXQ.jpg

Anyways, I've just went all out and rapid transit-ifyed nearly every possible corridor in the GTA in this map.
I've based it on Metrolinx's Big Move and bielawski's map that was posted here a couple of months ago: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ing-fantasy-maps)/page122?p=636193#post636193 , where I've made use of nearly all of the rail corridors.

It was partially inspired by London's Oyster Rail Network map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/oyster-rail-services-map.pdf , both in the graphic style and in the matter that it is a whole regional transit network accessible with one fare card.

Some feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Still haven't quite figured out the pdf uploading, but here is a link to the map hosted on dropbox:

I'm getting an error message that the file:
HztoGjfKwHBk30jbsJ335p9aTglj_7lgLU4BZ5SruD4ga34U7_dyHW_fDEXF4GGkFs9roK7-CksHmyVzC8y_fGlEGRWdMAOOep63P0UOu_FAUSoQALfNZNIJbUp3TdTcR2xA0MXtCaCoXPfHhtJvUqwypuTG-S-yca1oW6QHZUzxeU0HM-D5RZ3w5rMdlCaarvAjaVBCvbFBRNsCL0Ja3LDXBPCheRERMKyT94zzA2dWiert0Zw7d_0m1DBd3J4V2tJsu5s6AX50jDGpsAxyq9XrM83M7kZaSTYnkA/TdcffwqzE3mTC4vNNsG1XmTJYLq05OgCErTouP3dAUNUDwmQuj42S2oI5UvpFiJiaYocFcb56tFhBBqXRxg5ySOj-LDJS9_5W2h4jg/images/page-0.png

might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Ya, the link isn't working for me either.

Regardless, totally appreciate all the work put into the map, many thanks.

If you have GMail, you can upload it to Google Docs and make it public I believe (though I could be wrong). I was able to access the map earlier, but now I'm getting a 403 error. In either case, the map looks fantastic and makes me kind of sad knowing what we're missing. You could consider adding the planned rapid transit lines for Waterloo Region and Hamilton to the map as well in future editions.

Posting the full version here would automatically shrink it in the post, but can be clicked upon in a new window to view the whole size.

EDIT: Since dropbox link flopped, I tried Imgur again and it turned out a lot better: http://i.imgur.com/nwSXQ.jpg
nwSXQ.jpg

Anyways, I've just went all out and rapid transit-ifyed nearly every possible corridor in the GTA in this map.
I've based it on Metrolinx's Big Move and bielawski's map that was posted here a couple of months ago: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ing-fantasy-maps)/page122?p=636193#post636193 , where I've made use of nearly all of the rail corridors.

It was partially inspired by London's Oyster Rail Network map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/oyster-rail-services-map.pdf , both in the graphic style and in the matter that it is a whole regional transit network accessible with one fare card.

Some feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated!

Great map, minor presentation note however. It appears that the Barrie/Bolton/Uxbridge line and the 407 Transitway both use the same line style, black solid line. Unless it's just my pc

Back