News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Exactly. I know this is a low ridership route, but I would like Finch/Kipling all the way to Finch Don Mills or Steeles Don Mills. 4 tracks, two south, two north. The sticker shock would be outrageous, but it would be a great investment and not only encourage growth, but cut down on car usage in the city proper.

I think that 4-tracking the entire thing may be overkill at this point, but a case certainly could be made to 4-track the downtown section. For certain stations on other branches, they could be built as centre platform stations, with the concourse, platform level, and station box designed in such a way that another 2 tracks could be added directly beside the exiting platform (thereby transforming the station from a 2 track 1 platform station to a 4 track 2 platform station). In that case, that would be future-proofing without spending the money on the extra infrastructure required. Of course, that could only be done at major stations, in essence creating express tracks and stations.

And I do think that your stretching a bit far with the extents of your line, haha. Eglinton in the west and Sheppard in the east is likely all we'll see in our lifetimes.

I think that 4-tracking the entire thing may be overkill at this point, but a case certainly could be made to 4-track the downtown section. For certain stations on other branches, they could be built as centre platform stations, with the concourse, platform level, and station box designed in such a way that another 2 tracks could be added directly beside the exiting platform (thereby transforming the station from a 2 track 1 platform station to a 4 track 2 platform station). In that case, that would be future-proofing without spending the money on the extra infrastructure required. Of course, that could only be done at major stations, in essence creating express tracks and stations.

And I do think that your stretching a bit far with the extents of your line, haha. Eglinton in the west and Sheppard in the east is likely all we'll see in our lifetimes.

I'm a dreamer, sir ;):eek:

This is expensive and 100% unrealistic :cool:

It's not meant to be realistic, haha. Just to start a conversation of where the subway lines could ultimately terminate based on existing population density. I would be pleasantly satisfied though if at least the Crosstown LRT were fully grade-separated and took on an alignment and purpose as I outlined, stretching all the way from the eastern periphery into Malton.

It's not meant to be realistic, haha. Just to start a conversation of where the subway lines could ultimately terminate based on existing population density. I would be pleasantly satisfied though if at least the Crosstown LRT were fully grade-separated and took on an alignment and purpose as I outlined, stretching all the way from the eastern periphery into Malton.

Question: Are all the lines on your map a subway?

Assuming that they're all subways, I could see this happening eventually. As in 100+ years from now. Who knows what the city will look like by then. For present day I feel that something like this is all we need (shamelessly plugging my own map :rolleyes:). The two maps are actually really similar.

100+ years? hmm..

Just odd that this is the reality in Toronto, having spent the last two hours reading extensively on Los Angeles metro and subway systems and expansion. I am jealous.

Square One would be more efficiently be serviced by GO rather than a major Bloor line extension. And who wants to spend so much time taking a subway from Sq One to downtown?

100+ years? hmm..

Just odd that this is the reality in Toronto, having spent the last two hours reading extensively on Los Angeles metro and subway systems and expansion. I am jealous.

Yes, they are expanding fast.
I won't be surprised if the LA metro will catch and surpass our system in the foreseeable future. We simply draw too many imaginary maps and talk too much instead of acting. (lack of funding should never been a legitimate reason).

Square One would be more efficiently be serviced by GO rather than a major Bloor line extension. And who wants to spend so much time taking a subway from Sq One to downtown?

I agree. subway should not aim to serve people living outside Toronto. That's the job of the commuter train.
We should focus more on building the system within the city, instead of extending it increasing far in the remote suburbs (Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill). Those people chose to live in different cities (and not paying Toronto taxes) and let them figure out how to commute to downtown Toronto if they need to work here.

Yes, they are expanding fast.
I won't be surprised if the LA metro will catch and surpass our system in the foreseeable future. We simply draw too many imaginary maps and talk too much instead of acting. (lack of funding should never been a legitimate reason).

Amen to to that!

Amen to to that!

Los Angeles have 2 heavy rail lines (subways) and 4 light rail lines (LRTs) already.

Heavy rail:
Red line: Union Station to North Hollywood: 26.4km, 14 stations, opened in 1993
Purple line: Union Station to Wilshire/Ktown, 10.3 km, 8 stations, 1993
Light rail:
Blue line: downtown to Long Beach, 35.4km, 22 stations, 1990
Green line: 32.2km, Redondo beach to Nowalk, 14 stations, 1995
Gold line: 31.7km, Pasadena to Eas LA via Downtown, 21 stations, 2003
Expo line - phase 1: 13.8 km, Downtown - Culver city, 19 stations, opened in 2012

Under construction
Expo line - phase 2: 10.6 km, Culver city to Santa Monica, started in 2011 and to be completed in 2015

Pre-construction:
Crenshaw - LAX line, 13.7 km, 10 stations, to be completed in 2019
Purple line extension to La Cienaga Blvd (later to westwood), 6.4km to be completed in 2023
Regional Connector: a new subway route through Downtown Los Angeles, linking the Metro Blue Line, Gold Line and Expo Line, to be completed in 2020,

(LA's light rail are mostly grade separated (with some street-running, elevated and underground sections), comparable to the Eglinton LRT, and not comparable to our streetcar system at all.)

So by 2023, LA will have 180km of metro rapid transit, while Toronto will have 96km, about half of LA's.
existing sytem: 68.3 km
Spadina line extension: 8.6km
Eglinton Crosstown line: 19 km

Los Angeles have 2 heavy rail lines (subways) and 4 light rail lines (LRTs) already.

Heavy rail:
Light rail:
Expo line - phase 1: 13.8 km, Downtown - Culver city, 19 stations, opened in 2012

Under construction
Expo line - phase 2: 10.6 km, Culver city to Santa Monica, started in 2011 and to be completed in 2015

Pre-construction:
Purple line extension to La Cienaga Blvd (later to westwood), 6.4km to be completed in 2023
Regional Connector: a new subway route through Downtown Los Angeles, linking the Metro Blue Line, Gold Line and Expo Line, to be completed in 2020,

(LA's light rail are mostly grade separated (with some street-running, elevated and underground sections), comparable to the Eglinton LRT, and not comparable to our streetcar system at all.)

So by 2023, LA will have 180km of metro rapid transit, while Toronto will have 96km, about half of LA's.
And this is a city that is carland, Toronto can't stop bickering for one second. LA by 2030, will have the purple line to Santa Monica and the Red line to Sylmar.

LA voted for a transit tax which as been funding their transit expansion. They've been building LRTs & BRTs in order to get good transit to the people who need it fast in suburban areas. I believe both of the above are things we should apply to our city.

However let's also keep in mind the fact that LA's population is several times Toronto's.

Heavy rail:
Light rail:

Under construction

Pre-construction:

And by 2025, Toronto will have 141.5 km of rapid transit.

9v0IhE8.gif

Last edited:

Back