News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"Extending the Don Mills line to Finch would add an unnecesary transfer for people using the Sheppard line. I believe that's one reason none of the streetcar lines go north of Bloor - to minimize transfers. You could be right though, I really have no idea what ridership is like around there."

One main feature of extending it to Finch would be to divert riders away from Yonge (as well as serving the Don Mills & Finch area, being the best place to connect to VIVA, connecting to whatever might get built in the hydro corridor, etc.). Finch, Steeles, and McNicoll buses could all dump people onto the Don Mills line - riders would all continue on to Finch station if the subway stopped at Sheppard, and those three routes do have a ridership of over 60,000 combined, so it's not a trivial number if much of that is diverted.

Don Mills-Sheppard is the perfect place for a terminal station, because it has a big mall surrounded by a lot of high-rises, not mention the Sheppard subway as well; it is a node in its own right. Don Mills-Finch doesn't even come close, so there is no point in extending the Don Mills line beyond Sheppard.

Finch would be a very useful stop if the Don Mills line were a subway (in other words, time-competitive with the Yonge line). Not only is there quite a lot of development in the form of at least a dozen apartment buildings and the massive Seneca College campus, but there would also be an immense number of transfer passengers from the TTC's busiest bus route.

Between the 20,000 people that live near Don Mills & Finch and the Seneca College campus (which, if memory serves me correctly, is the third largest in the city after U of T and York), an extension may very well not be justified, but when you factor in the ability to intercept a bus route like Finch East (and Cummer, and Steeles would also be quicker, and maybe even a Denison bus should the double fare be dealt with) there's no question that the extra 2km will be well-used. Longer term, the best place by far for Viva to connect with the subway system in the area is in the hydro corridor at Don Mills & Finch.

Here is a new version of my map, with a few major changes and lots of minors ones too.

What my map is missing are the individual commuter rail lines because there are so many and they are very complicated so I would have to make separate schematic diagram to show them.

Click on thumbnail for full-size map (2.25MB):

I'm sorry, but giving Malvern a subway line when it's also getting two GO lines is completely unjustifiable.

I'm sorry, but giving Malvern a subway line when it's also getting two GO lines is completely unjustifiable.

Ignore him Doady, you can run lines wherever the **** you want to :evil ! Top 10 reasons why your map's awesome...

10.Shorting Road (Havenview?) is included

9. Sheppard has separate Birchmount and Kennedy stations

8. DRL serves BOTH Mortimer & Cosburn seperately

7. The SRT corridor's preserved and expanded into Malvern

6. Sheppard actually runs along Sheppard, too bad you
caved on Sheppard West though cause it was a winner

5. Eglinton's okay (you can tell I'm itching to suggest the
possibilty of West Hill/UTSC as a denser end-point hub but
alas I digress)

4. Apart from lack of a few tripartites, Queen stops are
spaced idyllically

3. You're more generous in giving DRL multiple stops than
even I would, finally giving Pearson a subway.

2. The Orange Line hits more downtown nodes than YUS does

and drum roll please...

You actually recognize Malvern's warranted a friggin subway!

^ Good grief. You like it for all the wrong reasons. You must just love the punishment you take in the forums.

Good grief. You like it for all the wrong reasons. You must just love the punishment you take in the forums.

Gee you think :rolleyes ?

Someone's gotta stand up for the little guy. These concession apart fiascoes you guys keep praising does nothing for the silent majority that'd still be car or bus-dependent due to inaccessibility. Investing billions and running lines under major intersections yet not serving them is shear lunacy that'd be of no benefit to surrounding communities/nodes and dent the full ridership potential of a line.

shear lunacy
edward_scissorhands_anniver.jpg

I live near Coxwell & Mortimer and was surprised at how many trip generators there are. I am also concerned about how the Pape running and terminus of the Don Mills LRT will work.

I would run PROW LRT down Don Mills and across the valley on a new bridge or embankment, running the LRT into a tunnel with stops at
* O'Connor,
* Cosburn (school and Branch Library),
* Mortimer (connected underground to East General + East York Civic),
* Danforth (connect to BD)
* the school south of Danforth
to emerge past the rail bridge to a portal intersecting the Gerrard streetcar, running on street down to Queen and in the future to Lakeshore to run in the median down into the Portlands.

It would be bloody expensive but it would be less disruptive, not least to the Leaside bridge which has only just had a reconstruction finished.

^ I always believed Coxwell made a better 'route' to Don Mills than Pape. Whereas Pape limits redevelopment to the east, Coxwell targets the midpoint between the Don and VP. Assuming there'll never be a Queen Subway :rolleyes it'd make more sense to run DRL out to the Beaches area hitting Carlaw (Studio District) and Leslie (redev already occuring: planned housing, big box stores, cineplex) en route.

The Kingston car wouldn't have to route out of downtown via Queen anymore either if a massive terminal at Queen/Coxwell was built. The rest: Gerrard- hitting India Bazaar/Upper Beaches and terminal for 506 and extended 135, Danforth PATH towards Mornach Park, Mortimer as you suggested underground access to EYCC/EYGH and Oconnor (much like Leslie Stn would have platform level portal south towards Cosburn-don't sound so transwank now do I?).

North of there already in DM's alignment no wasted mileage from the southwest allows reasonable rerouting of 81 to serve Thorncliffe Park residents from Overlea/Don Mills Stn. Even a wye to Thorncliffe Dr could be possible but the bus is likely good enough. Next Eglinton with the south exit directly linked to the Science Ctr. and so on. It probably wouldn't be as expensive as Pape would seeing it'd only be underground from Queen to Oconnor.

"I live near Coxwell & Mortimer and was surprised at how many trip generators there are. I am also concerned about how the Pape running and terminus of the Don Mills LRT will work."

Miketoronto consistently got flamed for suggesting a few express buses near his house (which is at the intersection of four busy bus routes). You're suggesting the line bypass Thorncliffe Park and Greektown to serve a library and a hospital.

You're suggesting the line bypass Thorncliffe Park and Greektown to serve a library and a hospital.

:rollin
If this was prior to 1998, you'd have egg on your face neglecting a regional municipal centre that could easy well have been included but overlooked for fleeting ethnographics already in the subway's grasp. If you choose to look at things like that well you'd be bypassing the Beaches, India Bazaar, Mornach Park and East York for some convenience stores and souvlaki :evil !

Coxwell's the saviour of your DRL. Why?

1. It's in Don Mill's geographic grid, no excess tunneling
2. Hits more nodes/redevelopment potential's greater
3. Alleviates 501, 503- lessens the need for a Queen subway
4. Forms the median point between Yonge and Kennedy (i.e.
farthest away from either subway/RT corridor hence
ridership would be highest here, in constrast to Pape much
in Yonge's shadow

You're still disillusioned if you think TCP residents out of spite for being overlooked would suffer without the Overlea/Don Mills subway stop a mere 2 mins away (note: the average walking distance from the south end apt buildings on Thorncliffe Dr are 5-10 mins away from East York Shopping Centre/Overlea).

Subway Dream Map (Part 5,323 of 43,235)

Since the subway funding is in for a subway extention I figured I would publish a subway map I whipped up.

As a brief explanation, most of this would be build as surface LRT first (surface BRT in the 905) and then as demand warrants upgraded (using pre-metro staging as is done in a few european cities). I put focus on terminating lines at connections to other services and at "Urban Growth Centres" as defined by the Ontario Places to Grow plan and connecting those points and other smaller centres in between. The system is shown at full build out (i.e. lines are extended to the point they would never be extended again) far in the future.

www.ytc.cc/misc/TTC2070.pdf

Back