News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

that information isnt nessecary to unclude for users unless theres a station at jane/st. clair or something

Perhaps, but it makes seeing the Bloor line more difficult.

I realize this isn't a scale map, but why would you go out of your way to make a line incorrect, only to obfuscate another line you are trying to highlight?

It wouldn't shock me if Line 1 gets extended to both Vaughan Mills and Canada's Wonderland/Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital within the next 20 - 30 years.

Particularly because if one were to draw a straight line up from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Stn, it would perfectly align with Vaughan Mills bus terminal and the main entrance of Canada's Wonderland. That can't just be a coincidence.

Particularly because if one were to draw a straight line up from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Stn, it would perfectly align with Vaughan Mills bus terminal and the main entrance of Canada's Wonderland. That can't just be a coincidence.

Yep. No one should be surprised if once the Bloor-Danforth extension and the Relief line are both under construction, Vaughan politicians start talking about wanting to get the subway up to Major Mac.

Also, if the subway eventually gets extended up to Major Mac, I expect the main subway station would be located on the Canada Wonderland property but the station name would be something like Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital or Major Mackenzie. I don't think the station would be called Canada's Wonderland.

On the other hand, by that time, RER is running every 15 minutes, reaching Union from Maple GO much faster than any subway from Major Mac.

On the other hand, by that time, RER is running every 15 minutes, reaching Union from Maple GO much faster than any subway from Major Mac.

Doesnt matter, people, especially tourists much prefer a no brainer stop right at the destination.

Maple to Wonderland is still a shittle bus.

Actually, I still wonder why it was not extended to Vaughan Mills mall.

Politics didn’t go deep enough :p

Doesnt matter, people, especially tourists much prefer a no brainer stop right at the destination.

Maple to Wonderland is still a shittle bus.
Viva Silver/Green Rapidway on Major Mackenzie to the new Major Mackenzie and Jane Bus Terminal?

Also, Viva Silver will probably only be a route and not a full Rapidway because of YRRTC’s RIDICULOUS 2023 timeline just for the Viva Route, can’t see the Rapidway being built on Jane prior to the subway replacing it, unless YRT steps up and provides more frequent service.

Yonge’s Viva Blue Rapidway on the other hand, will most likely be replaced by the Yonge North North Extension to Major Mackenzie at Richmond Hill’s “new” Civic Centre from Highway 7, but that doesn’t really have many destinations as a subway, even though the density may actually make a bit of sense (and it’s Yonge, so prime corridor).

Just a side note, a proper bus terminal at Yonge and Major Mackenzie makes a lot for sense as a connection between Viva Blue, Viva Green (should replace Viva Silver IMO), and potentially Line 1 at Richmond Hill’s new Civic Centre. However, even now, Viva Blue gets into a lot of traffic at “The Village of Richmond Hill” heritage area, so having an underground subway station with an above ground rapid bus route may cause some problems without an alternative cooridor or alignment.

I would add that the “Major Mackenzie Drive” Viva Station on Yonge is too far south from Major Mackenzie.

Not Toronto, but a recent bout of procrastination has led me to make a rapid transit map for Gatineau. Two of the lines (A, P) are already under active consideration by the new municipal administration. Lines 1 and 2 are part of Ottawa's LRT network which is set to open a first phase in a matter of months. The rest are my invention. I'd imagine most of the lines operating Hurontario- or Finch-Style, with surface LRT RoW. However, I put the two blue lines on existing (but essentially unused) railways, including a (probably diesel) tram-train portion to the east of Gatineau's airport. For those that know Ottawa/Gatineau, the two bridges I put on there are the unused Prince-of-Wales railway bridge as well as the old railway/tram Alexandra Bridge, which I learned from a friend at Public Works will actually have to be replaced anyways within 10-15 years because of structural issues. From the Ottawa side of the bridge, there's still an unused right of way which leads to the old streetcar terminus under Wellington Street in front of the Château Laurier. It's a rare opportunity to have an existing, unused, direct, grade-separated right-of-way that leads straight downtown!

Graphically, I was inspired by London's tube map, but I tried to make it a little less visually confusing: I matched to close colours with close destinations - cold colours for the north and east, warm for the west - in an attempt to make it look clean and coherent. I made good use of Inkscape's (yay freeware) 'snap-to-node' and 'align objects' tools to give the whole thing a geometric feel.

Gatineau Futur (w text 3).png

I also tried my hand an vintage/art-deco-inspired poster with Sketchbook. I don't quite have that stark, line-less shading right, but I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt. Credit to Target (remember them?) for the art deco Parliament drawing from their one of their ads. I wouldn't have the graphical know-how to make something quite that intricate on my own!

Vintage Tram Poster.png

Attachments

• Vintage Tram Poster.png
    Vintage Tram Poster.png
    553.5 KB · Views: 708
  • Gatineau Futur (w text 3).png
    Gatineau Futur (w text 3).png
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
I like your map. Looks crisp and fresh.

I was wondering why only lines west are being currently considered by the municipal government and nothing to the east. Are the built form densities that different?

I'm not very familiar with Gatineau outside of parts of Hull I used to frequent when I lived in Ottawa about 15 years ago.

Back