News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

"Etobicoke Centre" would be ambiguous. Isn't the whole area between Islington and Kipling part of "Etobicoke Centre"?

True, but of the two stations Islington seems to me the more built-up and "centre-ish," what with the office buildings and so forth. You could argue Finch and Sheppard are both part of "North York Centre," and McCowan part of "Scarborough Centre" too.

I was only suggesting the name change going towards completing the "centres set" along with North York and Scarborough ... as well as "York Centre" on the scrapped Eglinton West subway.

Also, I guess, as a way of sustaining "Etobicoke" in the local lexicon. I'm getting a little tired of newscasts and such referring to "a murder in the city's West End" or "arson in the East End" when Etobicoke or Scarborough would be a lot more specific. Not to suggest the names are in any current danger of disappearing, but in the future, who knows...

Last edited:
Is there any point in showing "Ford's promised subway extensions"? He promises tax reductions, no service cuts, subway and police expansion, and record surpluses all at the same time. Expecting Ford to deliver on anything is like believing in magic.

Yes, but he will eliminate waste in the budget to pay for all that stuff. Cut council, reduce municipal workforce, etc. All that will add up to enough, surely.

Fantasy Map

My addition to the fantasy map thread! Changed the names of some of the stations to remove duplicates and triplets. Also paired the GO train stations with the TTC ones.

fantasymap.jpg

Last edited:
Superman, you have Willowdale and Bayview Village stations reversed on the Sheppard Line...

My addition to the fantasy map thread! Changed the names of some of the stations to remove duplicates and triplets. Also paired the GO train stations with the TTC ones.

I really like it! It LOOKS great.

Now for my issues with it.

I would leave the current station names as is, except for Downsview/Downsview Park/Sheppard West which is changing anyway and you've labelled correctly as such. I would use all the current proposed names (e.g. Finch West, Steeles West).

But that's all subjective of course, and you're clearly doing a renewed kind of naming scheme which is fine.

My biggest beef is with the green line to Mississauga. Not because it exists, but because of the stations. After Sherway you have Dixie, Cawthra, Cooksville and Square One and that's it? You need to add in at least Tomken and Cliff (I may be missing some in fact). Otherwise what's the point of it over the Milton line. You have to have more stops. Even with adding in the ones I mentioned, the stops are quite far apart. I like that you've gotten rid of the SRT, but it doesn't look like you've rationalized the stations that would be replaced and changed the routing as it would if it were replaced with a subway (using the same infrastructure for subway borders on impossible and takes as much time and puts the line out of commission as long as the SLRT conversion would). DRL and Eglinton look good. Sheppard looks good.

EDIT: In fact that would make a great map for the Save Our Subways site.

I'd prefer the Junction have a subway station located closer to the centre of the neighbourhood instead of renaming Dundas West. It seems like every suburban side street has to have a subway station before the Junction. If it's a fantasy map, why not have the DRL connect with the Eglinton line?

That's what Rob Ford promised ... a new Willowdale station between Bayview and Bessarion.

Ah, I thought Superman was referring to a station at Willowdale Ave, which is where the TTC has tentative plans for a future station, between Yonge and Bayview.

I love the map Superman. I just don't think that City Hall needs a station. While symbolic, it would be a waste of money and time. A train stopped at the Eaton station would nearly reach City Hall anyway. The same for a train stopped at Osgoode.

I don't agree with all the subway layout, but that is still a great map. Why switch the numbers and letters of the lines though?

I don't agree with all the subway layout, but that is still a great map. Why switch the numbers and letters of the lines though?

I actually like the idea. What I did with one of my maps is used numbers for Subway routes, and letters for LRT/BRT routes. I think that that would give a clear deliniation to people which routes are HRT and which ones aren't, while still allowing them all to be shown on the same map. It would also make interlining a lot less confusing down the road, if the routes were referred to be letters or numbers instead of by the name of the line.

NYC has a split between letters and numbers, although there's isn't from so much a practical reason as it is that the numbered routes used to be operated by a different company than the lettered routes.

Back