News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

this is my fantasy map for improving the subway system in Toronto Specifically, leaving the possibility for the lines to be extended outside.

You do realize that some of these lines are pretty much impossible to build - especially in the east end because the Don Valley gets in the way.

Version 8 of the map. This has most of the LRT stations removed, leaving only some important ones. The lack of anything on Sheppard West looks like a big hole in the map!

If it's cool with you, I'll throw this up on to the Spacing Wire. Let me know if that's cool and whether you want me to use your real name or not.

Version 8 of the map. This has most of the LRT stations removed, leaving only some important ones. The lack of anything on Sheppard West looks like a big hole in the map!

Frankly I much prefer having the LRT station names on the map, even if it does end up looking a little crowded. Why are we sacrificing usefulness to have a slightly neater-looking map? The map is still completely readable with all the names included. The tram maps in Amsterdam show all of the stops and they're very readable and very useful.

Maybe it's just me, but seeing a line without stop names makes me think that it'll be more like a bus line than any sort of higher-order transit. Frankly, I think all transit (including buses, although this may be a bit hard to implement) should have maps in the vehicle showing all of the stops on the line.

Great map, by the way (although, as is probably obvious, I liked the previous version with the stop names better :)).

^Agreed, I think version 7 (with all LRT stops listed) was very useful and clean, too.

Also, this is just nit-picking now, but for colour designations, I think the light purple you have selected for Eglinton, would be better suited as the Sheppard LRT to indicate some continuity between the Subway (dark purple) and the new LRT (Light purple).

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but seeing a line without stop names makes me think that it'll be more like a bus line than any sort of higher-order transit. Frankly, I think all transit (including buses, although this may be a bit hard to implement) should have maps in the vehicle showing all of the stops on the line.
It would most easily be implemented by installing screens in said busses or LRVs to display route maps depending on what route said vehicle is traveling. It would be very useful.

In the end, the TTC could maximize it's advertising potential by doing things like putting screens in all Subway Cars as well as more cars in subway stations.

If it's cool with you, I'll throw this up on to the Spacing Wire. Let me know if that's cool and whether you want me to use your real name or not.

Sure, go right ahead. I'm flattered! As for my name... just use my forum name. I don't want the TTC to know my name, lest the map somehow upsets Chairman Giambrone. ;)
Also, I will go ahead and switch the colours on the LRT lines.

^Agreed, I think version 7 (with all LRT stops listed) was very useful and clean, too.

Also, this is just nit-picking now, but for colour designations, I think the light purple you have selected for Eglinton, would be better suited as the Sheppard LRT to indicate some continuity between the Subway (dark purple) and the new LRT (Light purple).

Except for the fact that, you know, there is no continuity on Sheppard. Like at all.

Frankly I much prefer having the LRT station names on the map, even if it does end up looking a little crowded.

Agreed. And TO_Penguin that's just an awesome map....something I can actually see myself using some day.

Wooooo I'm now in the fictional map business! Alas, I will probably never see this kind of transit system for Toronto in my lifetime (and I'm only in my early twenties!)

I'm really curious now, how does everyone make such great looking maps? Is there a special map making program, or do you just use photoshop/adobe illustrator? I'm rather interested in making my own map now :p

Back