News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe the best way is to put the LRT lines on the map, indicate what street they run on, but omit all the individual stop names to keep the map simple and uncluttered.
That's probably what I'd do. It's a good map though. Very TTC-ish, and easy to get the information off it.

Maybe the best way is to put the LRT lines on the map, indicate what street they run on, but omit all the individual stop names to keep the map simple and uncluttered.

Why? With the absence of the streets present, then the map doesn't actually show where your stop is (in relation to where you currently may be).

I don't think it's cluttered, and I actually do find it useful, and think it would be useful to anyone new to this TC system.

I think as long as the TC lines are distinguishable from the subway/rt lines, then this map will be useful.

Yes, the TC lines are not of the subway level of service, but they are a higher order of transit than the other bus/streetcar surface routes, and should be represented on an integrated system map.

I would think about getting a high rez version of this and printing it out poster size... :)

Version 8 of the map. This has most of the LRT stations removed, leaving only some important ones. The lack of anything on Sheppard West looks like a big hole in the map!

I have some time off coming up so I'll take the opportunity to create my petition to cancel the Sheppard East LRT.

I have some time off coming up so I'll take the opportunity to create my petition to cancel the Sheppard East LRT.

Your petition should include

A) Sheppard East LRT replaced by a subway from Downsview to Scarborough Center.

B) We should have people handling those petitions at key locations

-Downsview Subway Station
-Bathurst/Sheppard
-Sheppard-Yonge Subway Station
-Don Mills Subway Station
-Agincourt Go Station
-Scarborough Center

Then we could go to other subway stations to get as much signature as we can.

We could ask businesses to write a letter or opposition to this project and why they feel subway would be better.

C) We fix an objective and when we reach it, we submit it to the city council, Metrolinx and the media.

We prepare a serie of arguments.

-I posted many times that Sheppard had more ridership than many Chicago lines that are 3 time longer and connected to Downtown loop.

-Cost vs KM/h gains compare to normal buses???????

-Connecting the city=major potential for development (economic impact, jobs, environment)

-Connecting 2 town Centers

etc...

D)Maybe using Facebook like the DRL

E)It could be submitted on behalf of Urban Toronto and those who can could handle the petitions (rotating shifts)

F) Now a good time to do it since the city is united against the mayor's ''bright ideas'' Federal stimilus funds, the strike, tax increase etc... We capitalize on the citizen and media's negative image of the Mayor and his council.

G)Polls??

If we could get so many signature (50K,100K)???
and made it public, it would be difficult to ignore this...even for Metrolinx

Should this be moved to Sheppard east LRT or get its own thread?

Last edited:
That's a pretty good start, Ansem. Just tell me where this petition is, and I'll sign it. I've already preached the stupidity of Transit City to a large number of people I know, but most of them aren't Toronto voters and would be kicking Miller out if they could anyways. I'll spread the word of any petition, and I'm sure that word will be spread far and wide :)

There are some things I'd like to add, specifically concerning if you're going to be handing out flyers/letters. First of all, location's very important. I would suggest that during afternoon rush hour, the best places to hand out/educate would be at Bathurst-Sheppard, Sheppard-Yonge, Don Mills, Agincourt GO, STC (around the station probably,) and Kennedy. All-day activities would be well-held in the general NYCC area, at Downsview, Don Mills or Fairview Mall, STC, and Union Station. Yorkdale might also be a perfect location, as it gets an enormous volume of people, and the area near the Subway station and Go Terminal gets a lot of transit riders, who I assume on average care more about transit expansion than car drivers to.

And to pay for the higher construction costs of a heavy rail subway, would you accept higher taxes?
Even though Ansem has a very good point, yes I would actually accept higher taxes if it meant expanding our subway system. Even significantly higher taxes, if it meant we'd be getting a sufficient amount of Subway and RT for the region. But Transit City has proven that we have the money for big transit investments, the only problem is that it's not being used properly.

And to pay for the higher construction costs of a heavy rail subway, would you accept higher taxes?

Just cancel Morningside LRT as well and voila! you'd have around $2 billion which more than enough money to extend the Sheppard subway to SCC.

Just cancel Transit City altogether (including the reconstruction and extension of the Scarborough RT), and there would be more than enough money to build not only the complete Sheppard subway (including the section west of Yonge), but also the extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway to East Mall and to SCC, build Eglinton West subway, and the DRL from Union to Pape.

Instead of building three so-called rapid transit lines to Malvern, build real rapid transit lines where it matters.

Just cancel Morningside LRT as well and voila! you'd have around $2 billion which more than enough money to extend the Sheppard subway to SCC.

No, that is still not enough money, and that project has not received funding yet, and will not receive it (if at all) for several years, so there is no money to move around.

this is my fantasy map for improving the subway system in Toronto Specifically, leaving the possibility for the lines to be extended outside.

Attachments

• Fantasy.jpg
    Fantasy.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 262
Ansem you have some really good ideas. Maybe you'd like to come up with the wording for the petitions?

No, that is still not enough money,

So an extension to SCC would almost twice the per km cost as subway already built? Right...

and that project has not received funding yet, and will not receive it (if at all) for several years, so there is no money to move around.

It is a matter of opportunity cost, obviously. I was referring to W.K. Lis' claim that subway would result in higher taxes and LRT would not. Did you really need me to explain that?

Back