News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I think has been a year since I work on my map and I think you've all seen it. But here's yet another version that I've been working on it yesterday and today cuz of the discussion on fare zones in another thread, which is something I did not support before. Also I saw that the London tube map show the zones so I decided to show them too. A few other minor changes too.

You could soften the effect of the zones by putting border stations in both zones. For example Mount Dennis, Old Mill and Main Street should be in zones 1 and 2. Imagine transfering from Eglinton westbound to DRL southbound and having to pay a 2 zone fare!

Other than that, your map is amazing! I wish I could make maps that look so professional.

Thank you. Fare zone boundaries are definitely not fair for people who live near the boundaries or travel destination near fare boundary. So my idea with the fare zones is the second fare zone is free, or at least heavily discounted. So if one zone cost like $2.00, then two zones might cost like $2.50, while three zones would cost $4.00, four zones would be $5.50, and so on. But still there probably should be stations that count as part of two zones, but I got kind of lazy, I guess. I did notice the Tube map there were stations in two zones as well.

Also I should mention, all zones (except zone 1) are divided into E and W, east and west of Yonge, which count as separate zones under certain cirumstances (so that, for example, someone traveling east-west from Mississauga to Oshawa would have to pay extra).

Wow... just wow. Very well done! The only thing I would change would be extending the DRL up to Seneca. Besides that, perfect.

Thanks, I was think about the bus, I thought maybe people would prefer ride all the way to Sheppard Ave, rather than just to Finch Ave.

I think has been a year since I work on my map and I think you've all seen it. But here's yet another version that I've been working on it yesterday and today cuz of the discussion on fare zones in another thread, which is something I did not support before. Also I saw that the London tube map show the zones so I decided to show them too. A few other minor changes too.

Doady, I can't tell you how much I support your concept for a transit system. It is truly regional and urban, an asset for both the GTA and Toronto.

I'd be curious what a rough price tag would be on such a system.

Also, the total population this system would provide access to transit to.

I like how you made a lawrence route that didnt do a detour to Eglinton. However I think Lawrence might actually be a good candidate for another cross town route terminating at the airport.

TTC Fantasy Map

Just thought I'd throw another fantasy map here...

I think the Downtown Relief Line would be the most important addition to Toronto's TTC network (although also the most expensive), and this to-scale map is built around it.

In addition to current funded extensions and lines, I also added the Sheppard extension to Downsview and the Waterfront West LRT .

The DRL is mostly based on Phil Orr's model from DRL Now (www.drlnow.ca) except it uses the Roncesvalles alignment which I think makes an important connection to the WWLRT.

Incidentally, Transit City's current abbreviated form would actually work well with the DRL.

In addition to current funded extensions and lines, I also added the Sheppard extension to Downsview and the Waterfront West LRT .

I think the Downtown Relief Line would be the most important addition to Toronto's TTC network (although also the most expensive), and this to-scale map is built around it.

The DRL is mostly based on Phil Orr's model from DRL Now (www.drlnow.ca) except it uses the Roncesvalles alignment which I think makes an important connection to the WWLRT.

Incidentally, Transit City's current abbreviated form would actually work well with the DRL.

A very realistic map in terms of actually materializing. I like it because of that...Hopefully, the governing bodies use good sense to keep current TC approved & funded plans underway and begin focusing on the DRL as the next big ticket item. We desperately need this rapid transit.

Nice job.

WWLRT really would work well DRL. It could even be built all the way to Port Credit.

As for "realistic", I think anything can be built given time. Should we compromise the future just for short term political interests? Even if the entire subway system depicted in my map was built, Toronto's subway system would still just be around the size of the Chicago L, assuming the L never gets expanded in the meanwhile... Montreal Metro has already surpassed TTC subway, and Vancouver's Skytrain will too in a few years.

Doady, I can't tell you how much I support your concept for a transit system. It is truly regional and urban, an asset for both the GTA and Toronto.

I'd be curious what a rough price tag would be on such a system.

Also, the total population this system would provide access to transit to.

I don't know the cost to be honest. The electrification and new tracks for GO, I have no idea. The subway will probably cost $30 billion. LRTs probably $5 billion.

A very realistic map in terms of actually materializing. I like it because of that...Hopefully, the governing bodies use good sense to keep current TC approved & funded plans underway and begin focusing on the DRL as the next big ticket item. We desperately need this rapid transit.

Nice job.

Thanks, realistic was what I was going for, as only the DRL is the major push. Waterfront west in this form is relatively cheap, and a good terminal could be built on the Roncesvales carhouse site (which is due for an upgrade or demolition after all the new streetcars arrive). Ideally I'd love for Sheppard and Bloor-Danforth to go to STC, but Sheppard east actually works pretty good with the DRL to Don Mills. Only a one-transfer ride downtown.

I think this layout also works by supporting future LRTs north of Eglinton on Jane, and west on Eglinton for a more local service if the Richview area intensifies. Also a future LRT on Don-Mills into York region run by Viva could work. This makes all the LRT lines shorter rides to a subway line, and have one-transfer rides downtown.

As for "realistic", I think anything can be built given time. Should we compromise the future just for short term political interests? Even if the entire subway system depicted in my map was built, Toronto's subway system would still just be around the size of the Chicago L, assuming the L never gets expanded in the meanwhile... Montreal Metro has already surpassed TTC subway, and Vancouver's Skytrain will too in a few years.

This is the key point, imo. I am so completely dismayed by the short-sighted thinking of leadership in Toronto. This should not be about political expedience. This is about a steady and responsible commitment to an infrastructure that will meet not just the current but the coming needs of the city. Thirty years is a drop in the bucket for these sorts of plans. If this had been started in the early 80s it would almost be finished by now. This is why I am fundamentally opposed to anybody who is not commiting to the type of responsible and long term plan you have put forward. Anything else is a collosal waste, and TC is the prime example of political, short-term thinking... and not that I'm opposed to streetcars where appropriate.

Fantastic map and great vision ! it's people like you who we need at the top to get things done and done right !

The fact that your map is based on Transit City and the DRL (which was never part of Transit City anyway) is what I don't like about it. It actually does well to illustrate the problems of Transit City. Look at Sheppard or Scarborough Town Centre and you'll see what I mean. A mish-mash of lines, transfers galore, and lines to places people don't want to go. It clearly indicates the flaw in having two modes of transit along Sheppard (solution: finish Sheppard as intended from Downsview to STC). It shows how useless Finch West is on it's own, it looks like an aferthought (solution: make the Finch LRT a true crosstown corridor); the transfer at Kennedy is still in place (solution: finish the Danforth line to STC); the WWLRT should go to Port Credit, but I can understand that it's not on Toronto's plans per se; I'm not sure why Eglinton ends at Weston, TC has it going to the Airport and in my opinion that's what it should do. The DRL needn't go there, we already have the GO line being built to the airport.

Just my opinions. :)

Great map brainfreezed. Your vision recognizes the network value of Transit City, that people across the city need transportation not just those living in the core. Hopefully Transit City and the Downtown Relief Line will be the next two projects completed. Just my opinion, but I think a subway or LRT line to the airport makes more sense, again for the network value, than a stand-alone GO Train or Bud Rail Diesel.

Great map brainfreezed. Your vision recognizes the network value of Transit City, that people across the city need transportation not just those living in the core. Hopefully Transit City and the Downtown Relief Line will be the next two projects completed. Just my opinion, but I think a subway or LRT line to the airport makes more sense, again for the network value, than a stand-alone GO Train or Bud Rail Diesel.

Current plans are an LRT line to the airport (Eglinton) and the GO Georgetown project. So it isn't/wasn't an either/or choice. Although we'll see what happens to Eglinton with Ford. There's no guarantees it'll survive.

The fact that your map is based on Transit City and the DRL (which was never part of Transit City anyway) is what I don't like about it. It actually does well to illustrate the problems of Transit City. Look at Sheppard or Scarborough Town Centre and you'll see what I mean. A mish-mash of lines, transfers galore, and lines to places people don't want to go. It clearly indicates the flaw in having two modes of transit along Sheppard (solution: finish Sheppard as intended from Downsview to STC). It shows how useless Finch West is on it's own, it looks like an aferthought (solution: make the Finch LRT a true crosstown corridor); the transfer at Kennedy is still in place (solution: finish the Danforth line to STC); the WWLRT should go to Port Credit, but I can understand that it's not on Toronto's plans per se; I'm not sure why Eglinton ends at Weston, TC has it going to the Airport and in my opinion that's what it should do. The DRL needn't go there, we already have the GO line being built to the airport.

Just my opinions. :)

Thanks for the critique. I should have mentionned with my post that my map was meant to take whats funded now, and bring it together better with the DRL. I agree that Sheppard and Bloor-Danforth (more importantly) should go to STC, your right about the anoying mish-mash in Scarborough. However I think the DRL would have a much larger positive impact to all of Toronto, and realisitically, it would already be a collosal undertaking to get it approved and funded without competing with the other extensions.

I don't know if Finch West has to be a true cross-town line (not the most familiar with that area), maybe up to Yonge, but that was why I extended Sheppard. WWLRT should definately be extended, as well as Eglinton if Richview intensifies, this map leaves all those options open.

I think the DRL to the airport (via Dixon) would be superior to Eglinton and the GO air-rail link (although it could complement that service). This is speculation on my part, but I think there's much more value to the majority of commuters and airport goers who wouldn't have to transfer between the Spadina and Eglinton lines, and then have double the stops on Eglinton to get to the airport, or have to pay the much higher fares for the GO service. As well, this benefits most of Etobicoke with a new subway running through it, and Dixon (west of the 401) has a lot of room for underground/cut-and-cover/elevated or whatever is the cheapest and best construction method.

Last edited:

Back