News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Shouldn't it already be completed by then? In 2007, the TTC was talking about it being operational in 2010.

Waterfront East (Union to Cherry) was 2013 wasn't it?

I believe both projects are being funded through Waterfront Toronto channels, so there's been little mention in the main Metrolinx/TTC capital plans. My understanding was that Cherry was basically sitting in a ready-to-go holding pattern until such time there was something next to it that was worth serving. The Pan Am victory will provide that.

Because of some particularly asinine Waterfront Toronto weirdness about areas covered and not covered by funding envelopes, the plans at the moment involve the Waterfront East streetcar line stopping and looping at Parliament, and the Cherry line stopping and looping just north of the GO tracks. In other words, two roughly-simultaneous lines being built with a 100 m gap in between them.

I know as part of the Don Lands redevelopment there are plans for adding an infill GO Station just west of the Don, but it doesn't pop up on the athlete's village map. I suppose the athlete's wouldn't be using it, so it's unlikely to show up until after the village is converted to "civilian" housing.

Would it be possible to run a GO train just from Exhibition to Union? The Harborfront "LRT" frankly sucks at dealing with rush hour passenger volumes, using it for the PanAm games would be a disaster.
GO has previously added extra GO trains for the CNE, so presumably it is feasable.

But what are the loadings at Exhibition going to be like? Surely the worst load will be from the end of a soccer match at BMO Field with 20,000 spectators ... and one GO train easily handles all these now. Hopefully by 2015 GO will at least already be at 30-minute frequencies on Lakeshore.

GO has previously added extra GO trains for the CNE, so presumably it is feasable.

But what are the loadings at Exhibition going to be like? Surely the worst load will be from the end of a soccer match at BMO Field with 20,000 spectators ... and one GO train easily handles all these now. Hopefully by 2015 GO will at least already be at 30-minute frequencies on Lakeshore.

The Exhibition Grounds are slated to play host to quite a few events, actually, some of which will inevitably be going on simultaneously. There're new permanent(?) Beach Volleyball and BMX dirt-jumpy facilities to be built there, and then Ricoh/the Direct Energy Centre/the various Exhibition halls will be stuffed with a fair few events, too---stuff like handball and karate, I think. So we're probably a fair bit above the TFC crush load scenario, but nothing that can't be handled by the existing infrastructure, let alone projected 2015 capacity.

Extra GO service isn't mentioned specifically in the document, but it's a safe bet as a cheap way to massively augment the transportation capacity. Don't forget that a fair percentage of events will be well out in the GTHA: Hamilton hosts multiple large events (all the track and field, a new velodrome, and Volleyball in Copps), and there are a lot of odds and ends in Oshawa.

In any event, 30 minute Lakeshore GO is coming next year. 15 minute might be hittable in time for the Games.

In any event, 30 minute Lakeshore GO is coming next year. 15 minute might be hittable in time for the Games.
So they say ... I'm kind of cynical, they've been promising this for a long time; whose to say they won't simply add 30-minutes for late-morning, early-afternoon weekdays only, to save a few $.

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/668036
When you look at 3:22 you can see the GO Train zipping behind Hamilto's Pan American Stadium.

So obviously Hamilton is finally going to have decent GO Train service.

Another boost in Hamilton is the B-Line. It'll push the government to have the B-Line completed by 2015. B-Line will connect McMaster University to the downtown/west harbour area which is all of Hamilton's venues will be.

Downsview to STC and Kennedy to STC is a must...
no brainer PERIOD

SELRT will not do...

No excuses, the Ontario government will cover any deficit (national Post).
At this stage , why not ask for Subways????

Haha yeah, because most of the tourists will be staying in a hotel in Downsview, and there will be a mad rush to get to the table tennis championship at Centennial College. Obviously this is priority #1.

Will TTC be asking other transit systems for the use of their buses to help carry the extra riders??

We will have 30 minute service by April when the 3rd track is in place at Oakville Station and Clarkson.

Expect to see express trains from Hamilton to Toronto non stop along the way.

Who is going to run the transit show to get everything to work as one system when we cannot do it today???

A lot of transit projects will be fast track.

Expect to see about $3.5B short fall for putting on these games, but we will have a better transit system from it.

Does GO and the Waterfront Toronto rebuild the Cherry St underpass to get LRT's from the Village to Union Station now as there is no way it can happen now. At the same time, does the QQ get extended to Cherry St now than later as plan??

Does GO put in the Cherry St Station now than later??

Does TTC fast track the LRT's for all of them to be here by 2015 than 2018??

Fun time coming for transit in 2010.

They're suppose to install the platforms at Hamilton this month but I guess that got side tracked with the merger of Metrolinx and GO Transit.

Was suppose to get the Benefit Case of the B-Line from Metrolinx this month as well but it's being delayed yet again until January.

To speed construction of transit needs for the Pan Am Games, workers will be needed almost 24/7. That means construction going in the early morning hours and maybe Sundays. More likely the 24/7 construction will be in the industrial, commercial, and non-residential sections. The residential sections would probably stay on the current schedules.

Better get your construction skills up to par if you are looking for work.

Who is going to run the transit show to get everything to work as one system when we cannot do it today???

Since these games are ultimately a creature of the province, it has to be Metrolinx. GO is probably going to emerge from this as the de facto single system throughout the golden horseshoe. In any event, given how spread out the venues are, it must necessarily be the backbone for transportation here.

Does GO and the Waterfront Toronto rebuild the Cherry St underpass to get LRT's from the Village to Union Station now as there is no way it can happen now. At the same time, does the QQ get extended to Cherry St now than later as plan??

Probably yes to both, otherwise I honestly can't see how else the transportation will work.

Does GO put in the Cherry St Station now than later??

Since there won't be any subway built for this (not enough time, too much money) it's tough to see any realistic alternatives. There could very well be a de facto "DLR" running on the surface lines, provided money is spent to improve the relevant GO connections with the TTC's bloor-danforth line.

Does TTC fast track the LRT's for all of them to be here by 2015 than 2018??

Tough to see what the alternative is. For the remaining Transit City line linked to the games, I don't see how it can be refused. The money will be spent anyway on them, so they might as well be sped up and be legacy. They'll also impress visiting spectators/media more than buses and help get out positive tourism stories out in foreign media, which will help boost tourism in the years after the games.

At any rate, the next 12 months will probably involve the most intense transit planning in nearly half a century, figuring out how to accelerate the relevant GO & TTC projects while drawing up a framework for post-games future expansions (ie a downtown core line). Should be great.

^^ I dunno, I think that a Union-Pape DRL could be finished in time before the games. If they do a very, very intense study and EA, and then rush construction, it could probably be finished within the 2015 deadline. It'd be good anyways, because the DRL is really desperately needed either way.

EDIT: And if when you say surface running LRT you mean express busses, I think there's no doubt those would be used during the games. But I think this is a great time to get the DRL done and start doing it's job. I'm guessing that the feds would be willing to front a pretty large sum to get DRL construction started for the games.

Last edited:
fan·ta·sy

1. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.
2. An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
3. An imagined event or sequence of mental images usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.

Posts focusing on the DRL belong in the DLR thread. Thank you.
Yes, I know what a fantasy is. Actually building the DRL is in no way a fantasy, and I don't think I'm fantasizing when I imagine the feds might pay money to get it going in time for the Pan Am games which, in case you haven't noticed, is what this thread's about! Transit improvements that are needed and/or could get moved forward because we're getting the games.
If the athlete's village is at West Donlands like it's supposed to, the DRL would go right through it. I think that's certainly grounds for getting it built as quickly as possible.

This thread = discussion about transit improvements we could see or should see for the Pan Am games

DRL = transit improvement we should see for the Pan Am games

If you need further clarification, perhaps I should bring up the definition of "relevant" as well

Hamilton Transit

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/668036
When you look at 3:22 you can see the GO Train zipping behind Hamilto's Pan American Stadium.

So obviously Hamilton is finally going to have decent GO Train service.

Another boost in Hamilton is the B-Line. It'll push the government to have the B-Line completed by 2015. B-Line will connect McMaster University to the downtown/west harbour area which is all of Hamilton's venues will be.

Jill Stephens at Hamilton's Rapid Transit Office confirms that, despite yet another Metrolinx delay, the HRT Office will be moving ahead with LRT plans. If Metrolinx ultimately chooses BRT for Hamilton, the City can adjust accordingly.
But for now, the City is dedicated to Light Rail.

WAY TO GO, JILL! ! !

Do you know if this will require new tracks or the opening of Liuna Station in Hamilton?

LIUNA Station will not be retrofitted to be a Train Station again; it's currently a popular banquet/convention hall.
What will be done, is a new, much smaller structure will be built directly across the street from LIUNA (in what is currently an empty lot).
A couple tracks may need to be put in, but over-all, everything there is set up pretty conveniently (it did use to be a transit hub, afterall).

Re: Hamilton LRT
The Mac - Downtown B-Line LRT will be fast-tracked, so I'm not too sure about Downtown - Eastgate. I'm hoping it's still part of the 2015 plans as Metrolinx confirms funding from Mac - Eastgate.

The Airport - Downtown - Waterfront A-Line LRT will be down-sized to Downtown - PanAm Park.
(in my opnion, A-Line should start at Hamilton GO Ctr, use Hughson as a Transit Mall between Hunter & Cannon, at which point it will turn down Cannon to get to James. It would then travel North along James to LIUNA, then turn West along Stuart St all the way down to PanAm Park --all highlited in Link below). IMO, this is the best option as it would give Hughson some new life, while helping to keep James St clear of congestion.

My (Hamilton) PanAm Transit Plan

They could easily build it in six years if they did a railway alignment, which would work better for the athletes' village anyways. They could either run it on the surface and then have it go underground as it approached Union, or dig it out via cut-and-cover. They wouldn't have to build the whole thing, even the Cherry to Exhibition chunk would be a huge asset. It wouldn't actually function as a relief line (that could come later), but it would greatly speed up transit between the village and the Skydome/Exhibition where so many of the events are going to be held, and by connecting with Union it would make it far easier for athletes to get everywhere else in the city.

In no recent games, be those Olympic or Pan-Am or otherwise, have the athletes taken public transit. They're moved by private automobile.

As far as conventional wisdom in planning multi-sport games goes, you want the athletes/coaches/officials/etc. as isolated from the general public as possible. Facilities and transportation planning are built around the idea of moving VIPs from a secure compound (euphemistically, an athlete's "village") point-to-point via a single isolated mode of transport to a special entrance at a sporting facility, and back again.

Why? Well, there's the Munich '72 legacy in terms of security, for one, which has undeniably shaped planning for all subsequent Olympics and then sort of trickled down to make that style of doing things de rigeur for all largeish multi-sport games, be it the Francophonie Games or the Junior Goodwill Games or what have you.

But even leaving security reasons aside, organizing committees have a bit of fetish about control. The less interaction with externalities beyond the organizers' control (the subway breaks down, local farmers protest land-use policy at the legislature, a police investigation closes an intersection, an athlete wanders off to The Brass Rail and misses their qualifying heat, etc. etc.), the fewer possible things that can go wrong. That's the main reason nobody envisions athletes hopping on a train with the general public these days. It's not because there's a substantial risk of one of them getting knifed. It's because it adds variables to an already-complex equation that millions of dollars are riding on coming out exactly right.

Now, I absolutely agree that this kind of bunkered private-vehicles-first thinking would be a lousy way to build and run a real city, but ultimately all the organizing committees are concerned about are the two weeks the games are on. A fleet of minivans and several thousand meters of metal fencing along roads meet their needs more than adequately.

Frankly, I'm glad we're not laying out transit on the basis of passenger flows for a one-time event that lasts two weeks. If we were looking purely at transit through the prism of the Pan-Am Games, there'd be absolutely zero incentive to spend a penny on the Eglinton route (be that on a subway or a streetcar or hypersonic vacuum-tube train) as there will be next to zero athlete or spectator traffic in that neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Back