News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I always thought Calgary had that law as well. My brother in law had to apply to the city to remove a tree....maybe it's certain situations or certain areas?
You can remove everything from your yard except “city trees” which are very rare. We get house flippers in Varsity that come in and clear cut 60 years of trees. Also, 75 year old homeowners that are afraid of tall trees and remove them all. Then sell their house a year later. If I wanted to live in Evanston I would have bought there.

What about trimming a public boulevard tree? Like if it is growing out over a part of your driveway, can you just cut back that small portion, or do you put in a request to have the City come do it?
You put yourself at risk doing it. The City will trim it eventually when you request it. 1 year for my streetlight burned out request and counting.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here( and not that I'm surprised), but the tree at "Alberta's Dream" by the Bow looks to have finally croaked:
16297519910699081859225359618247.jpg

The Bow wasn't a bait and switch, we got what was proposed, it was just value engineered to meet the proforma of the developer building it. The second phase not happening isn't surprising given what they wanted for the space.

The Bow wasn't a bait and switch, we got what was proposed, it was just value engineered to meet the proforma of the developer building it. The second phase not happening isn't surprising given what they wanted for the space.
Unsure if I would attribute the design changes to VE, so much as changed requirements from the lead tenant. As surprising as it seems now, Encana around 2007 was growing so quickly that it wouldn't have been able to accomidate all of its employees in the Bow, which was the primary objective of the project. Filling in part of the atrium and reducing the number of sky gardens provided almost 200k sq ft extra space.

Did they have to pay any sort of Bonus Fee or community improvement fund for the extra FAR? Or, did we just get told we had to provide it, as well as miss out on the historical facade restoration and cultural building at the same time?

Unsure if I would attribute the design changes to VE, so much as changed requirements from the lead tenant. As surprising as it seems now, Encana around 2007 was growing so quickly that it wouldn't have been able to accomidate all of its employees in the Bow, which was the primary objective of the project. Filling in part of the atrium and reducing the number of sky gardens provided almost 200k sq ft extra space.

I would think what happened is a perfect example of value engineering. They took out the flashy bits that added cost and replaced it with floor space that added revenue. This was a cost exercise that was meant to improve the pro forma of the building.

Back